Tokusatsu is the Japanese word for any live action movie or television show that makes heavy use of special effects. The word's literal translation is "Special Filming."
Even if you aren't familiar with the word itself, you are familiar with the works that fall under its umbrella. Giant, lizard-like kaiju that breathe atomic energy, quirky teens that transform into superheroes to fight against aliens from the moon, and giant robots going blow for blow with one another are all fundamental works within the genre of tokusatsu.
Savage Tokusatsu is a game built from the ground up specifically for the Savage Worlds roleplaying game. Within the pages of this softcover book are new rules and character options to help you capture the feel of any tokusatsu story in the collaborative storytelling experience that is tabletop roleplaying.
You can be the transforming team of heroes working together to control a giant mech simultaneously. You can play the desperate humans trying to halt the advance of an unstoppable monster that towers above skyscrapers. All this and more is possible with Savage Tokusatsu.
Savage Tokusatsu is a Savage Worlds supplement with approximately 100 pages of new content to help you take your game from mundane to kaiju-sized.
- Frameworks to represent the diversity of the many transforming heroes genres of tokusatsu.
- New Edges that encourage an even greater degree of cooperation and teamwork amongst teammates.
- New Hindrances that capture the feel of youthful characters trying to find their way in the world.
- Multiple new Optional Rules to help you capture the specific feel of whatever genre of tokusatsu you seek to emulate. Lighthearted action and grim, pessimistic horror are all just as welcome as the next.
- An in-depth but highly intuitive system for designing iconic weaponry and suits of armor for transforming heroes and special agents alike.
- An in-depth but not intrusive system for designing challenging monsters for our more mechanically-inclined friends.
- A simple Hero Tier system to help groups wishing to avoid Toughness Bloat work giant robots, kaiju, and normal-sized people into the same sessions.
- A streamlined way to approach high Toughness creatures for groups looking to capture the durability and desperation of facing down skyscraper-sized beasts with a column of tanks.
- Over 40 new statblocks including heroes, kaiju, monsters of the week, and big bads that give detailed examples for each type of playstyle.
- A full Plot Point Campaign for a light-hearted, transforming hero themed tokusatsu adventure with several Savage Tales.
- High quality printing fulfilled with DriveThruRPG. The book will fit right in with your other 6.625" x 10.25" Savage Worlds books on the bookshelf!
- A collaborative system for creating and controlling a shared pilot mech.
When it comes to capturing the thrill of designing a giant robot and sharing the controls with your fellow players, Savage Tokusatsu has one goal in mind. Technically three: Fast. Furious. Fun.
Most systems get caught up in the nitty gritty and involve complicated balancing acts of various actions and turn economies. When a group shares the controls of their mech in this system, they literally share the controls. They either succeed as a team or fail as a team with a single set of rolls for a single set of actions.
First, the group agrees on what the best course of action is. For our example, they've decided Fighting is the only option at the moment. Then, all pilots roll their character's individual Fighting skill (with the Wild Die) with any penalties from Wounds the mech or pilot might be suffering from. If at least half of the team beats the target's Parry, the attack is a success. If at least half the team succeeds with a Raise? You guessed it. The attack succeeds with a Raise!
There are some instances, such as how specific Edges interact with this system, that are covered in greater but still easy to understand detail within Savage Tokusatsu. But if you've always had an itch for fun, engaging, and action-packed cooperative mech piloting for everyone at the table to engage with, then this is the product for you.
The goal of this campaign is to produce a high quality, affordable supplement to cover all of the types of tokusatsu stories that can be told. However, we want to ensure that those who support us during the Kickstarter are rewarded with additional content. We've created several, exciting stretch goals for those interested in receiving additional content at an affordable price point.
Risks and challenges
Having been a part of and run several successful Kickstarters in the past, we are ready to deliver a high quality product within a reasonable timeframe.
This is the first Premium Color book we have printed. We have experience working with DriveThru POD but printing on different stock with different qualities can sometimes have unforeseen problems so we'd like to set a longer delivery time in the hopes of delivering early.
The same is true of the Poker Deck. We want to ensure a high quality product that you are going to want to show off. This means we are going to dot our I's and cross our T's to make sure that the cards look as good as possible. Thankfully, we're working with DriveThru RPG, a printer we've used before, to make sure printing is as painless as possible.
The majority of the book is written and will be going into a wider playtest during the campaign. Several art assets have been completed but the majority will be contracted upon the completion of the Kickstarter.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)