Bootstrap Coffee Roasters is an experiment in buying, roasting and selling quality coffee. This company was born out of a passion for quality coffee and all of the hard work that goes into it! Each coffee is carefully selected and roasted with balance and complexity in mind.
Quality coffee is not had accidentally. It is the result of a lot of hard work at every level of the supply chain. We want to participate in and to do honor to that work. There are three parts to how we do that.
1. BUYING. We buy coffees with two things in mind:
--Taste. We look for coffees that taste delicious to us. We love coffees that are complex (many unique, distinctive flavors) and balanced (all those flavors working together well to present a uniform experience).
--Place. It is important to us to know where our coffees come from, who grows them, and to pass that story on to you. We look beyond certifications and make purchases that support an overall more traceable supply chain (we'll have more about on this on our soon-to-launch website). We believe that buying high-quality coffee is a win-win for everyone!
2. ROASTING. We roast coffee with the aim of bringing out the complex flavors of the coffee we've purchased in a balanced way. This means that our coffees will taste great in many brew methods! We look for full development of flavor in the way we roast (again, more on this will be on our website).
3. SUPPORT. We sell our coffees to you via our webstore and ship them to your home. We want to be a great resource to you and make you feel like you've been taken care of! For our wholesale customers, we are able take our time and put together an entire quality program, including initial business planning, equipment selection, menu consultation and barista training. We want this program to really make sense for each business, and will work hard to make sure it starts out and stays successful! We won't leave anyone high and dry!
We have some fun things planned this year! We plan to be active around town brewing coffee and meeting people at various events. We want everyone to taste our coffee!
Starting a roasting company, even a small-scale one, is expensive! For now, Bootstrap Coffee Roasters consists of just me, Micah Svejda. I am owner, buyer, roaster, quality control department, delivery guy, accountant, janitor, etc. I am starting this business extremely small: just me, a roaster and a small roasting facility. I have no investors. A lot of hard work has gone into having what we need for this venture over the last 5 years (when the plan began to evolve), but we are looking for more support to cover 2 major categories of expenses.
1. Building out our facility (we are well on our way with this). This includes professionally installing our roaster, painting and just sprucing up the space in preparation for lots of coffee awesomeness!
2. Our mobile brewing setup. This includes brewing devices and grinders, tables, power cords, water jugs, and many, many other things in order to bring the coffee awesomeness to events around town!
To cover these and other expenses, we are looking to raise at least $6,000 to help launch the company. If we don't reach at least this goal, we don't receive any funds!
However, if we reach more than this, we will be able to apply that to our burgeoning plans for our own retail coffee shop/roastery where we can bring the coffee awesomeness every day! This is still some time off, but anything over the $6,000 will help that happen sooner.
We have some great rewards for you. Since our business is all coffee, all the time, our rewards are in the form of coffee. The lower levels get coffee shipped to your home, the mid-levels get a home subscription of various lengths, and the upper levels, in addition to a home subscription, get some really unique and awesome opportunities such as in-home trainings and personal tasting parties! Every backer at $25 or more gets an invitation for 2 to attend a really special tasting party we are hosting just for Kickstarter backers!
Thank you all for your support. We can't wait to get to work for you! Let's make this happen!
Thanks are owed to: my wife Rachel for her boundless patience and support, Bill Hickey of Hickey Photography for all things video, Nick Mihalevich of Cape Status for audio and music, Melanie Logan of Blue Ox Coffee Company for letting us shoot at her shop, Joe Marrocco and all the fine folks at Cafe Imports for letting us shoot in their warehouse, my parents for letting me use their garage to get started, and everyone else who has supported us with kind and encouraging words along the way!
Risks and challenges
Starting any business is full of all sorts of challenges. In this business, the biggest challenges we face are shipping delays (I expect to ship out the rewards before June, but want to provide plenty of leeway) and general logistics. However, I have the experience necessary and will do whatever it takes to make this business a success. I have over a decade of experience as barista, barista trainer, roaster, retail manager and consultant. I've been involved in barista competitions (as both competitor and judge) hosted by the SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America) as well as other educational opportunities they make available. I am a certified barista with the Barista Guild of America. I am very passionate about the coffee industry and it has been a huge part of my life for this last decade. I am committed to making this business work no matter what! We will participate in and do honor to the hard work that is quality coffee!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (27 days)