Theatre is a reflection of our lives. So then why, in this age of smart phones, Twitter, and Instagram are we still keeping track of our auditions with pen and paper?
We want to introduce you to Bookster™–a new mobile app, created by actors for actors to help make the audition process easier and more organized. Set to launch this month, we've created something that will help so many people in this digital age.
First, we have unified a list of current castings and created an open forum for actors to discuss what’s going on with each audition. Users will be able to view other auditions on a map near their current location, share castings with others, and maintain detailed logs of unique things about previous auditions–like what they wore and who was "in the room." And here’s the kicker - it’s all in one mobile app. In short, we've streamlined the often hectic and disorganized work of daily auditioning.
Sound great? We think so! But in order to make it happen, we need your help. There’s no business like show business, and there’s no people like show people. So show us your support! Help us raise enough money to launch this amazing app!
- A list of current union and non-union auditions from around the U.S., with the ability to filter and sort them as you like–these are the same castings that you'll see during your usual casting search!
- A forum to discuss auditions with other actors- receive up to the minute updates!
- A "favorites" section to keep your planned auditions in one place
- The ability to view current auditions near your location on a map
- A journal to keep track of past auditions including who was in the room, notes from your experience, and saved photos of audition material and outfits
- A search function to find specific names, auditions, or locations
- The option to share an audition via email, text, or social media
(please note, at this time the app is for use on iOS devices only)
"Bookster is an app from the Audition Gods! I wish it was around when I needed it!"
- Randy Graff, TONY-award-winning actress
Why We Need Your Help
Short answer? Because we care about providing you with a great product!
When we started out with our idea a year ago, we knew that the project was a sound idea, and that it would help a lot of actors. What we didn't know was just how complicated developing a mobile app would be.
While complications can cost time and money, we sincerely feel that we are much closer to our original vision in providing you with a solid, well-performing, accurate, and even fun way to help you manage your auditions.
We are so close to removing all of the "bugs," mastering the design, and optimizing the user-experience, but we need your help to finish with our fantastic developer. He not only writes the code, but has provided us with invaluable feedback for the user-interface and the design.
You might notice that the design of the app in the video is quite different from the current screen shots below! We like the current design much better!
How You Can Help
There are actually a whole bunch of ways that you can help us reach the launch! Obviously, first and foremost is this very Kickstarter campaign.
It's important to know that we don't receive your financial backing (and no one gets any rewards either!) if we don't reach our goal, so please do contribute even a small amount.
Hopefully you'll find a reward that interests you on the right side of the screen.
But if you don't, you can still give any amount that you'd like! You're not required to receive anything.
Other ways that you can help are to spread the word with friends or on social media–maybe even bring it to the attention of a blogger that you may know, or a vocal coach or theatre professor!
Our plans for the future of Bookster™ include some really neat features:
- iPhone 6s support
- iPad Pro support
- Android version of the app
- a personal profile to sync your data across multiple devices
- the ability to store your headshot and resume in your profile and submit directly from the app
- storage for your entire audition book
- the ability to edit audition songs for appropriate cuts
- push notifications tailored just for your profile
- directions to auditions near you from your current location
- the ability to record an audition or rehearsal directly in the app
- a pitch pipe or mini piano for reference notes
- fun diversions like Broadway trivia games
We want to formally say "thank you" for taking the time to learn more about Bookster™ and for your consideration in offering financial support!
Megan and Matthew
Risks and challenges
We have come a long way with Bookster™...it's been over a year since we began and we've committed hours and hours of effort to seeing it through. We've also invested our own funds directly into the project and are determined to make those sacrifices worthwhile by providing users with the best experience possible.
As we've learned over this year, delays in development are generally inevitable, but they are never dead-ends. With creativity, patience, and dedication we've overcome some very tricky obstacles and we intend to do the same going forward.
The delays that are possible are centered almost exclusively on technical issues–what's called the "back end" of an application. Because of the complexity of maximizing the user experience, there are always little detours and unexpected results that we and the developer must face.
But, we have great confidence in our relationship and communication with the developer, which has lead to updating the app at a faster and faster pace!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)