EDGAR ALLAN POE-themed 2 Wk Fantasy RPG Adventure!
EDGAR ALLAN POE-themed fantasy RPG adventure campaign. PRINT Books will be made available from the original successful campaign.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Fri, March 29 2019 7:01 PM UTC +00:00.
This may seem and sound redundant, but I received some wonderful and free legal advice today in several areas. Let me make this clear that while I am using a good deal of my own ideas for this project, I am also 100% (obviously) giving Mr. Edgar Allan Poe his due credit for his MAGNIFICENT stories and for providing me with an ENDLESS imagination that he (may his soul rest in peace :) is very much responsible for. He is and was a GENIUS, and I love him and respect him. FULL CREDIT DUE, MR. POE! Of COURSE I love you! Now, back to the project! : )
LATEST UPDATE - 5 NEW HIGH VALUE STRETCH GOALS - $1,700 - $5,000
Anyone pledging (on this project) $1-$20 will receive the Stretch Goal #1 Reward if $1,700 is raised by the time this project officially ends.
Anyone pledging (on this project) $23+ will receive ALL Stretch Goal #1-#5 Rewards if $2,000 is raised by the time this project officially ends.
All of my backers and supporters on a couple few open projects: Two will close out very soon - do not worry. This is the exact same campaign as in 2018, but as I have informed you, or at least stated publicly, this campaign is not digital only, but PRINT AND SHIPPING HAS BEEN ADDED. I have also added an extra. The $15 COMMERCIAL LICENSE spell sigil book. This was created to help complete an open project on fictional, in-game devils and demons, but also to improve the ARROWGHAST’S SPIRIT SUMMONING GRIMOIRE. I could have launched this campaign in December of last year, and held it off as long as possible, so here it is now!
Want to put things together a la carte? EVERY available item has been listed separately as well as in small (various) packs. Simply do all of the math, add the shipping rates, and at the pledge manager stage, it will all be sorted out.
Fulfilled by DriveThru RPG, I do NOT have to pack and ship a thing. These lovely folk do! That is why I am offering WORLDWIDE SHIPPING FRIENDLY SHIPPING OPTIONS.
SHIPPING RATES - MORE THAN 1 PRINTED BOOK (please see graphic below)
IF YOU WANT MORE THAN 1 PRINTED BOOK. I am keeping it simple in that, a single book will have the same rate regardless of page count. The extra books are all around 100-110 pages anyways.
So, in short, anyone wanting
2 PRINT BOOKS TOTAL = $09 USA or $19 Anywhere Else
3 PRINT BOOKS TOTAL = $11 USA or $23 Anywhere Else
4 PRINT BOOKS TOTAL = $13 USA or $27 Anywhere Else
5 PRINT BOOKS TOTAL = $15 USA or $30 Anywhere Else
First and foremost, this project ran in 2018 as a DIGITAL REWARDS ONLY project and was successfully funded. Thank you so much, by the way! THIS current project is the exact same thing except it is now a Digital AND PRINT fantasy RPG 5e and that other major game system compatible, two week (or longer) adventure campaign that is set within a multi-level, VERY HAUNTED mountain castle. The adventurers are invited by the Ravenscroft family to sort out a questionable Last Will and Testament and to put an end to a sudden and overwhelming infestation of ghosts and evil spirits that are assaulting the Ravenscroft family on a nightly basis. The players receive a mysterious package... Inside the package is an invitation to attend a masked ball and an extended (fortnight) stay at RAVENSCROFT MANOR to investigate a host of escalating hauntings and 5 recent ghost hunter deaths.
Here is the first map I created for this adventure. There will be:
• 13, 12” x 18” Digital Maps of the 13 otherworldly locales. I am creating these in High (300) res though, because I am going to offer all 13 maps as a PRINTED MAP PACKET O’ 13 from DriveThru RPG!
• 1, Multi-page (20 completed pages so far) SIDE SCROLLER adventure.
• 3+ Level Castle Ravenscroft 12” x 18” Digital. I am going to be releasing some STRETCH GOALS very soon.
One stretch goal will add a Forth level to the castle.
Another stretch goal will add a 5th level to the castle!
So stay tuned for more very soon!
In the meantime, I made this 12” x 18” map in under 24 hours. I am mentioning this not to impress you, but simply to let you know that I can do the work listed. Thanks!
The entire campaign can be played with the $23 DIGITAL PDF ONLY option. This version, however, does NOT include the PLAYER’S HANDOUT BOOKS IN THEIR ENTIRETY. It will have ALL of the maps, as within the realms of an 8.5” x 11” digital PDF book. You will not get the additional, much larger digital maps for miniatures use. This barebones adventure will be broken down as follows, page-wise and approximately!
• The Adventure Itself - Pages (APPROX. 150+ pages + the 250 APPROX. listed below = APPROX. 400+ GRAND TOTAL PAGES.)
• Investigator Guidebook - 100 Pages approx. (you will NOT get any of the form-fills, extra backstories and “color” or with the print version(s), none of the ability to actually write in and log adventures. You WILL get the vital STATS of the 20 characters, 13 MAGIC ITEMS and 13 MAIN EVIL GHOSTS.
• Arrowghast’s Spirit Summoning Grimoire - 40 Pages approx. (NONE of the lovely sigils and “in-world” art and design. Just the GHOST/EVIL SPIRIT STATS for 13 main entities.)
• 13 WRITTEN GHOST STORIES - 40 Pages approx. (does NOT include the 13 AUDIO FILE GHOST STORIES read by professional voiceover talents.)
• ART BOOK - 13+ Pages approx. (does NOT include the separate jpg you can email to players or show on, say, a tablet, but you can hold up the book and use that as makeshift player art handouts.)
• ALL MAPS - 18 Pages approx. (does NOT include any of the larger maps for miniatures.)
• Last Will and Testament - 13 Pages approx. (does NOT include the more fleshed-out PLAYER’S VERSION, but you will have enough to know exactly what is going on.)
• Mrs. Butterburr’s Recipe/Cookbook and Itinerary - 13 Pages (you will get ZERO recipes, and ZERO Mrs. Butterburr clues and gossip writings. You WILL, get the daily itinerary, times, events, and what is for breakfast, lunch and dinner!)
This $23 reward seems like a lot, and IT IS at 400+ pages! But believe it or not, this is really the barebones reward, BUT it will indeed have everything that you NEED! : ) Just keeping’ things honest for thee!
Along with the invitation is another player handout that is an INVESTIGATOR’S GUIDEBOOK. Inside this guidebook, the adventurers will be privy to the following bits of information: “written” by “EDGAR” himself ; ) This is a “PLAYER’S HANDBOOK” type of book.
The FULL adventure for the DM/GMs (available in both print + digital) WILL have the stat blocks for all of these, but most likely with NO colorful bios.
• 13 Ravenscroft Family Member Bios - NO STAT BLOCKS
• 3 Ravenscroft Hired Helpers Bios - NO STAT BLOCKS
• 3 Surviving Ghost Hunter Bios - NO STAT BLOCKS
• 13 Ravenscroft Family Magic Items as Partial Payment for Services - NO STAT BLOCKS
• 13 Main Ghosts Seen Throughout Ravenscroft Manor - NO STAT BLOCKS
This is a PLAYER’S HANDBOOK/guidebook that will now be in these 3 formats: 1. FREE (this has half of the pages and information as the full priced versions) which you can find here!
While you are at it, there are several free sneak peeks at the link above that you can view at a higher resolution than shown here.
2. 100% DIGITAL and 3. PRINT COLOR BOOK. This book is not needed to play or run the adventure, but it is a very IMMERSIVE PLAYER HANDOUT that allows the players to take turns in writing their daily and nightly findings, battles, casualties, etc. that the adventurers share with the Ravenscroft family each and every night for 13 nights. The full (both print + digital versions are approx. 144 pages.
ALL artists and designers will be credited in the credits section of the finished works! Thank you, Lord Zsezse Works!
A secret compartment can be found (by the PCs) in this book. Inside this secret compartment is EDGAR’S SECRET PLEA to the adventurers begging them to come get him out of the madhouse that Ravenscroft Manor truly is. The secret compartment conceals a letter written by Edgar himself. MADNESS emanates from this adventure from the very beginning!
The adventure campaign is designed to last for AT LEAST 2 weeks in length. Each night, the party attends dinner with the Ravenscroft Family, and each night a different family member tells a GHOST STORY that relates to his/her personal ghost attacks, invariably coming from mistakes they have made in their past. After hearing these nightly tales (reward option available for 13 audio tracks made by pro voiceover talents!) the party is then accompanied by said family member - to explore the castle to find the 13 HIDDEN PORTALS that lead to 13 other, GHOSTLY worlds. The adventurers are tasked with entering these bleak and terrifying worlds to retrieve missing pages of the unique book known as ARROGHAST’S SPIRIT SUMMONING GRIMOIRE. They will fight and explore a mini-adventure every night, and hope they make it back through the portal in time - BEFORE IT CLOSES! They then must use the grimoire to summon the BOSS GHOST to kill him (or her) permanently...
This grimoire was stolen from the family library and the vital pages to summon the 13 main evil spirits are now scattered over these 13 otherworldly locations. Each of these 13 otherworldly locations is a short adventure in and of itself. The objective is to find the portals hidden in the castle, enter these portals, find the pages needed to summon a specific ghost in order to force it to materialize into a form that allows the ghost hunters to have the ability to SLAY IT FOREVER, and kill it once and for all, ending the ongoing hauntings at Ravenscroft Manor, one evil spirit at a time...
The FUN aspects of this adventure campaign are: (please note that certain rewards may need to be purchased to experience such fun and frolic!)
• 13 GHOST STORIES are told to begin each night’s fun and adventure. Each family member will (by oath) lead the party throughout areas of Ravenscroft Manor where they have been attacked or have seen escalating ghostly activity. Additional RUMORS are told to the party. Are they true or false? Find out! Here is the link where you can download a FREE audio GHOST STORY!
GHOST STORY AUDIO SAMPLE - LEFT BEHIND - (9:26)https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bs4cpriqmbzl8kh/AADD1Nt64i-oBM-h5MklVUOUa?dl=0
• 13 DAYS of BREAKFAST, LUNCH and DINNER ITEMS MENU. Each night, the party feasts on the best cuisine in the realms. Each night, the party is asked to share their adventures from the night before. The players can either appoint a spokesperson, take turns, or a combination of these two. Some players are better “role-players” than others, let’s face it. What is going to be an integral part of the writing is that the entire family have their very distinct personalities and there will be several PROMPT IDEAS for the DM/GMs where the 13 Ravenscroft Family members will ask the adventurers all of the questions, alleviating much of the pressure by eliminating the need for the PC to initiate said interactions. This will be done by the entire Ravenscroft Family. There will also be 7 remaining reward slots for potential backers to purchase a reward that will allow the master chef backer to show off their culinary skills and will have 3 meals of their own devising featured in the 40 recipe cookbook. One BREAKFAST, one LUNCH and one DINNER. 13 total backers (13 x 3 = 39 + 1 of the author’s favorites - most likely a thing of meat!)
• 13 HIDDEN PORTALS must be found within the depths of the castle. These 13 portals could take almost any form. A mirror, the interior of a supposedly empty family casket, a hollowed out chamber where a particularly nasty family member has been bricked up and starved to death... These 13 portals lead to 13 short adventures outside of the castle. There, the party will face a wide variety of ghosts, wraiths, specters and other otherworldly beings never seen anywhere before.
• 13 NEW GHOSTS. There will be 13 brand new, never seen before ghosts, specters and wraiths with very unique skills and powers. They also have a host of followers and other evil spirits and humanoids that accompany them, guard them or all with them. There are more than just ghosts to battle in this campaign.
• 13 RAVENSCROFT FAMILY MEMBER PROFILES AND STATS. Very detailed backgrounds are being developed for this campaign. These aspects of each character will reveal themselves to thee in the form of a journal that EDGAR has provided for the family, the 13 ghosts stories that will be told - one each night, and their eccentric behavior and MANY prompts for how each family member will act towards the party. Here is a glimpse of the eccentric RAVENSCROFT FAMILY.
• 13 MAGIC ITEMS GIFTED. The agreement that was devised by ROBAIRE RAVENSCROFT - the now master of the manor - is this: As part of the payment that the Ravenscroft has proposed, the new master of Ravenscroft Manor has encouraged and coerced each and every family member to gift a magic item to the party. Each of these 13 MAGIC ITEMS is unique and cannot be found anywhere else. One example is a tiny GOLD BUG (get it?) that is a clockwork magical construction. This gold bug automatically crawls forth, toward the most valuable and nearest treasure. What else can this wee contraption do, eh? Find out!
• The party has from between midnight and 6am to gather clues, gain access to portals and potentially slay the ghosts (and their minions) that have been coming out of the woodwork of Ravenscroft Manor. The party then reports their findings to the Ravenscroft Family the next evening. Opportunities to record the party’s detailed adventures will be provided in the aforementioned INVESTIGATOR’S GUIDEBOOK, but one last book for if the backer really wants the full experience is the addition of Robaire Ravenscroft’s LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT. This book details all 13 members of the Ravenscroft family, what they are set to inherit, but also the stipulations that they must follow to even receive these inheritances. As you have probably guessed, with just about any highly eccentric Poe-like character, there is a dash of mania and madness here and there. Some of these beneficiaries simply do not feel that they even need to do anything to gain their part of the inheritance! It is up to the PCs to decide what to do and to work things out and at least TRY to keep some semblance of sanity intact, lest they too go mad!
This is the only graphic (below) I have for the MANY rewards. Since there are so many, I thought I would just keep the descriptions crisp and clean and leave the MYRIAD graphics out. This graphic stands for the MANY PRINT and/or DIGITAL REWARDS. Many are ADD-ONs. At the PLEDGE MANAGER stage, I will have this taken care of and sorted out. EVERY BACKER I have had has been 100% compliant and honest with shipping rates, etc. And that is just one of the billion reasons why I love thee! Behold, this one graphic... behold...
The first reward listed for $15 is a DIGITAL ONLY product. I had already started working on ARROWGHAST’S SPIRIT SUMMONING GRIMOIRE and I was also finishing up an adventure largely about Demons and Devils. I found that using some semblance of a “system” to following the creation of these sigils not only made sense, but I truly believe that it could be a useful tool for other would-be self publishers that would like to have some pretty cool (but fictitious) spell sigils as design elements and artwork for their own COMMERCIAL projects. That said, I came up with a collection of sigils and FREE FONTS in both Adobe Illustrator, and Photoshop but also the Indesign file and the 2-page inside spread that you can use to CREATE YOUR OWN SPELLBOOKS, SPELL CARDS visuals, etc. That said, here are some screen shots of what has been created so far. Know that THOUSANDS of combinations are possible and easy to do. Not only that, but I found 18, 100% FREE Fonts that represent “real” magical writings. This was a SERIOUS pain in the booty, as MOST fonts are either shareware, donation ware, limited use only, etc. I will attach screenshots of the 100% FREE sentiments as well as all 18 fonts. You MUST be an above average graphic designer to manipulate these files. Just keeping it real, but ANY true designer would find these editable files to be a joy in many ways. I also label layers so that they make sense to all humanoid beings, and not just me. Here we go, your magister!
The PRINTING and all DIGITAL DOWNLOADS will be handled by Drive Thru RPG. Also known as DTRPG. It is very important (you must) to open an account at DTRPG if you have not already. While there, you may also take a peek at my other past publishing projects. I have attached a quick graphic showing some of the adventures and resources I have created, along with a handful of real/unsolicited or coerced reviews that I have received from people that I do not know personally, but appreciate anyways. That said, if you have any questions, I appreciate your interest, and I will do my best to answer your questions as per the usual! Thanks again, my Poe-loving pilgrims!
Matthew A. Bogdan (Poe lover since fifth grade, 1881, er, I mean, 1981!
Risks and challenges
I have publicly mentioned having a few open projects that are going on right now to keep the home embers burning AND for the true LOVE of doing these projects! That said, figuring out a final completion date is probably my personal greatest challenge. I believe that the reason for that, oddly enough is that this is “all me.” How does that make sense? To me, when you have 4-5 people working full time on a project, you tend to get a much more accurate and clear-cut estimate because these 4-5 tasks (design, maps, writing, artwork and or stock art purchases and placement, etc.) are obviously much more condensed. In other words, if I “ONLY” had to, say, draw and color 3 art pieces, I would have a much better idea how long that would take as opposed to, say, doing 3 pieces of art, 13 maps, writing the entire project and designing all of the graphics. I believe it is THE SCOPE of doing all but the editing and proofing that is much harder to gauge than a much smaller set of singular tasks. I will try my very best to meet or beat the APPROXIMATE deadlines listed, but I will say this: In this field, there are MANY more unexpected things that you have to deal with than I ever accounted for. The GOOD NEWS is that I am learning these things as I go, and I KNOW that I will get better at this! I also have a slight tendency to make adjustments to MAKE THINGS BETTER. This sometimes adds time to a project. More good news is that I have very few expenses and no other major commitments.
I will obviously fairly actively make updates and posts regarding this campaign in order to raise the vital funds desired. If after that there is a slight lull in these updates, please know this. Do not worry. The only thing that is happening is that I am catching up on my other open projects so that I may complete them with my personal highest standards attached. When these last remaining projects parts are complete, I can give this project 100% of my time and energy, as “getting into a fantasy-themed Poe Boy-based adventure does need one to be in a very specific mindset! ; )Learn about accountability on Kickstarter