Mad Scientist Journal presents our fifth anthology of short fiction, Battling in All Her Finery: Historical Accounts of Otherworldly Women Leaders!
Looking for Leadership
We want to create a collection of science fiction and fantasy stories about woman leaders: presidents, queens, high priestesses, admirals, matriarchs, CEOs, and more. Each story is written from the perspective of someone who has either been or been around these leaders.
Stories will be solicited after we've funded, so we don't have a table of contents. But here are the types of stories we imagine seeing:
- A general leading her dragon armada into battle.
- A CEO defending her megacorp from a hostile takeover.
- A woman-led, vampire-hunting biker gang.
- A senator in an intergalactic republic.
We use an inclusive definition of “woman” and “female,” and we welcome stories about anyone who identifies as a woman on some level.
In the past, we've seen amazing stories that have blown our minds with how they play with the theme. We are certain that this anthology will be no different. We have often published first-time authors and actively seek out authors from otherwise marginalized groups.
Because we have a number of nieces and nephews who we think would love to read about these women who rule, we're going to be heavily weighting our story selections for this anthology toward those stories that are appropriate for all ages. This doesn't mean that the stories must be written for middle grade or young adult audiences, but they should be the sort of stories that you wouldn't feel weird about reading aloud to a kid.
This will be our fifth anthology, and the previous four have all been well received.
- "If you enjoy eerie writing and appreciate a diverse collection of authors and writing styles, I strongly recommend this anthology."
- "LOVED this collection of fiction. I read this book cover to cover immediately."
- "I've really enjoyed Mad Scientist Journal's anthology series of historical accounts, I eagerly backed the last two on Kickstarter, and I think this is the strongest one to date."
- "Every single story in this collection is wonderfully creepy and totally engaging."
- "Consistently superior writing coupled with outstanding editing."
- "I enjoyed it from cover to cover, and would recommend it to my friends."
The main reward is the book. We're shooting for 80,000 words, which comes out to about 300 pages in a 5.5" x 8.5" paperback, with cover art by Errow Collins. The product will have thematically appropriate interior art, which will also be available on postcards for Patreon backers.
Our current interior artist roster is:
These are the reward tiers:
- Moral Support: For $1, you can receive updates about the Kickstarter and buy add-ons after the Kickstarter has completed.
- The Digital Record/The Print Record (Early Adopter): Early backers will have the opportunity to obtain the book at a discount. $3 for the ebook, $9 for the print book.
- The Digital Record/The Print Record: For everyone else, we will be offering the ebook for $5 and the print book for $15.
- Patron of the Arts (Digital/Print): Higher end backers will have their names listed in the acknowledgements for the book. $10 for ebook, $20 for print.
- Rose Guard: As with Patron of the Arts, but you will also get a crocheted rose from editor Dawn Vogel. You'll have your choice of pin, hair clip, or ponytail holder (also useable as a bracelet) so you can wear your rose with pride! $25 for ebook backers, $35 for print.
- Limited Edition: We will produce a limited number of hardcover books, which will include all the rewards of Rose Guard. $100
We're offering something more for Patreon supporters. All patrons who back this Kickstarter, at any level, will receive postcards with art from the book. Patrons that get a physical book will also receive a signed bookplate.
If you want an excuse to support us even more, here are some things you can add! If you add these on now instead of later, it helps us out more.
- Historical Accounts (Digital): Ebooks of previous Mad Scientist Journal Presents anthologies. $3 for one book, $2 for each additional book.
- Historical Accounts (Digital+Print): Print and ebook of previous Mad Scientist Journal Presents anthologies. $10 for one book, $5 for each additional. (Extra costs for shipping outside of the United States.)
- Extra Finery: Get extra copies of Battling in All Her Finery for $10 each.
- Extra Limited Edition Finery: Backers who contribute at the $100 limited edition level can get additional limited edition copies at $40 each.
- Extra Roses: Patrons of the Arts can get more crochet roses at $15 each.
- Digital Archive: Ebooks of 24 issues of Mad Scientist Journal, from Spring 2012 to Winter 2018. $15 for these back issues.
- Complete Archive: Print and digital copies of every Mad Scientist Journal quarterly we've done. That's 12 print books and 24 ebooks for $50.
- Digital Subscription: Ebooks of four upcoming issues of Mad Scientist Journal, Spring 2018 through Winter 2019. Add $10 to your pledge or back at $1/month through Patreon.
- Print Subscription: Print and ebooks of four upcoming issues of Mad Scientist Journal, Spring 2018 through Winter 2019. Add $25 to your pledge or back at $3/month through Patreon.
If we meet our goal, we'll use extra money to make the book better.
Our first two stretch goals are:
- $5,500 - Added Finery: We will increase our book size by 10,000 words, which will be about 2-4 additional stories.
- $6,000 - Expanded Presidential Gallery: We will commission an additional artist to provide interior art.
As with previous projects, we will be using Backerkit for user surveys and tracking fulfillment. We've used them for almost all of our previous campaigns and find their site invaluable.
As always, this effort has a whole lot of people behind it. Errow Collins provided the amazing art. Amanda Cherry recorded the voiceover for our lovely video. Tea Sky Blue provided the music for the video. Matt Youngmark will be laying out the book when we get there. Thank you to all of you beautiful people!
Risks and challenges
This will be our sixth book Kickstarter (and fifth anthology Kickstarter). We have successfully funded and fulfilled all of them. We have been down this road before, and we're familiar with it. We've learned many lessons over the years and have continually made changes to do better next time.
Because the interior art will not be created until after the Kickstarter, there is always the risk that one of our illustrators will be forced to withdraw. However, we have several artists we work with regularly who can fill in if needed.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (27 days)