Art is a passion that starts at a very early age and becomes a life-long practice for -- blah blah blah... This is THEN | NOW VOLUME 2!
Last time was a success so we're doing it again! A new collection of art from both new and returning artists. The idea is the same: artists have let loose their imagination on some unsuspecting art from their childhood and turned it into something new. An update that matches their current outlook on art, life, and memories of unbridled youth. We captured brief anecdotes from each artist to accompany each image, whether it be to share their inspiration, their feelings, or to simply explain the gratuitous stink lines and electrified utters (thanks Manuel!)
Hop aboard the nostalgia train for another trip of ridiculous kid art paired up with today's interpretations from professional artists around the world!
We just plain dig art books. Art is a physical thing and so much of our lives are digital today. A book is a record of process, a benchmark of progress, tangible proof of existence! That's BOOK POWER baby!
• 136 beautiful full color pages of art!
• 8.5" x 11" softcover, perfect bound and I'll try for rounded corners again :)
• 30 professional artists supplied art from their childhood "THEN", and re-imagined versions of that art "NOW". Giggle at their humble beginnings! Marvel at their evolution!
• Each artist has shared insights and anecdotes for each image and the comments are just as interesting and inspiring as the art. A small peek into the artists themselves.
Just look at all the fine people who contributed to this project! Many are friends we have collaborated with in the past and some are new friends we've made along the way. All of them are super nice and only one of them is imaginary!
• Adam Hoppus | www.ahoppusdraws.com
• Bill Halliar | www.roughbeasts.com
• Bill Robinson | www.flimflammery.com
• Bob Rissetto | www.bobrissetto.com
• Brady Scott | www.BscottART.com
• Camille Chew | www.camillechew.com
• Christine Lasrsen | www.christinelarsenillustration.com
• Chris Norden: | www.instagram.com/total_depravity_
• Courtney Brendle | www.courtneybrendle.com
• Dave Lopez | www.artstation.com/hypermode
• Dave Pryor | www.davepryor72.blogspot.com
• Dave Shovlin | www.caffeinix.blogspot.com
• Drew Hill | www.drewhillstudio.com
• Elsa Chang | www.elsasketch.com
• Erin Hunting | www.erinhunting.com
• Jess Nicholls | www.jisusu.com
• Jesse Riggle | www.jesseriggle.com
• Joe Feliciano | www.horsepuppy.carbonmade.com
• Kevin Kelly | www.kevinarthurkelly.com
• Kira Night | www.kiranight.com
• Kris Kehasukjaren | www.kehasuk.com
• Kyrstin Avello | www.avelloart.com
• Lissy Marlin | www.lissymarlin.com
• Manuel Kilger | www.manuelkilger.com
• Nadia Enis | www.nadiaenis.com
• Paul Gill | www.paulgill.com
• Pete Dora | www.peterdora.com
• Robb Mommaerts | www.robbmommaerts.com
• Sishir Bommakanti | www.sishir.com
• Yevgeniya Andriyevskaya | www.ancalinar.tumblr.com
• Zeth Malarkey | www.zethmalarkey.com
Take a peek at a buncha new art! We got it all...AGAIN!
This time around we're offering a couple additional reward tiers that may pique the interest of new supporters!
Every dollar counts! $1 and $5 donations let us know you care. You're all beautiful people!
For $10 we're offering a downloadable .PDF of THEN | NOW Volume 2. This is new for Volume 2 and while the goal is raise enough money to print physical copies, we think this is still a nice option. Plus we can ship those ones and zeros anywhere!
This is the real deal baby! The reason I'm typing all this! An honest-to-goodness, genuine art book! Full color with pages an' everything! (+US shipping)
Psst. Hey. Did you miss Volume 1? Can we interest you in a combo platter? For $55 we're offering BOTH books shipped straight to your eyes! We have a LIMITED supply of Volume 1 from our first print run for anyone that wants to net both books and get caught up! (+US shipping)
We think the book is amazing - maybe even a teensy bit better than before! - so raising money to print physical copies of volume 2 is our number one goal.
Last time we incurred more costs than our goal, part of which was planned. As first-time Kickstarters, we did a lot of guess work and had started printing just to be sure everything would work out fine. And we absorbed any extraneous costs ourselves just to make it happen. Along the way we underestimated a couple things - as you might expect - but the Kickstarter was meant to help us gauge the potential interest in our project with relatively little promotion from us. In the end I think we got a very good idea of interest and became better cost analysisers...
So this time around we're gonna launch, let KS do it's thing and if successful, then work with the printer (same as last time), then plan for packing and shipping with a tighter focus.
To help with all that, we're offering a couple new rewards. Namely a digital version of vol. 2, and a vol. 1+2 two-pack.
Hope that's all transparent, but don't hesitate to ask questions!
- Bob and Adam
Risks and challenges
We’ve self-published a few books in years past and after releasing the inaugural THEN | NOW book, we have a printer we're confident in working with again. That's not to say there could be challenges or things still backfire.
This time around we're doing things a little different:
First, we're letting the kickstarter run it's course before printing. Last time we alotted a month for the KS and the printer simultaneously with the hope that we could start shipping as soon as possible. And for the most part that worked, but it's risky if we don't reach our goal and are already committed to printing costs. After our first successful Kickstarter, we're hoping we don't have to continue taking that financial risk ourselves.
Second, we packed and shipped every book ourselves last time. It takes time, but we handle each backer individually. (it's satisfying to check off names on the backer report!) We're hoping to streamline this even more for consistency and quality.
If things go south you might have to wait longer, but we'll be sure to explain what's going on. There could be any number of manufacturing delays or shipping mishaps, but we're still just as dedicated as ever!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)