Los Cthuluchadores: Elder Things in the Wrestling Ring
Los Cthuluchadores: Elder Things in the Wrestling Ring
Los Cthuluchadores: Elder Things in the Wrestling Ring will be re-kicking soon. Please visit http://cthuluchador.com for more info
Los Cthuluchadores: Elder Things in the Wrestling Ring will be re-kicking soon. Please visit http://cthuluchador.com for more info Read more
About this project
As a Cthuluchador, you choose from wrestling actions and signature moves to outwit your opponents. These actions, like grapple, shamble and counter, result in ooze, damage and the domination of the crowd. The first player to squeeze the ooze from his opponents or coerce the crowd to his evil cult wins.
Video - Gameplay and Component Overview
- Fast-paced and frenetic mashup of two popular themes
- Easy to learn, but deep and oozy strategies
- Gameplay revolves around out-thinking opponents
- Taunting Mechanics: Bonuses for funny gestures and sounds
We want everyone to be able to play the game, even if blocked by shipping and/or monetary, so the following includes a free Print-and-Play version, videos to the basic and advanced and just a basic set of rules.
Video - Two Player Basic Gameplay
Video - Two Player Advanced Gameplay
Campaign Stretch Goals will potentially unlock
- Replacing 4 Character Boards with 4 Cthuluchador Masks (as seen in the illustration above)
- Up to 36 extra signature moves
- 12 Elder Signs made from improved materials
- And much more...
Expansion Unlocks - stretch goals for free expansions
- The El Lodo Sobre Aztlan Expansion: adding extra oozy rules and the Folding Chair of Doom
- The Cultos Innombrables Expansion: cultist upgrade to enhance the spectator arena battle
And an extra special stretch goal: a crowd-sourced Cthuluchador. This is a Creative Commons licensed Cthuluchador where the Kickstarter backers contribute the name, design, and artwork - and licensed for fair use by anyone in the game or out.
Stretch Goals & Special Pledges: You can help to add an enormous amount of extras and fun content to the game for everyone to enjoy.
We want to reward you for spreading more than ooze. If you help us spread the word about Los Cthulcuhadores: Elder Things in the Wrestling Ring, we will unlock extras for the game. For every 50 shares on Facebook or one Twitter we will add bonus contents.
- UNLOCKED! 50 shares - Unlock "the ROJA CORNER" pledge level: Everything in the Ultra Squishy Weight Class AND you get to add a Signature Move to the Retching Roja.
- UNLOCKED! 100 shares - Unlock "the MARRON CORNER" pledge level: Everything in the Ultra Squishy Weight Class AND you get to add a Signature Move to El Lodo Marron Retching Roja.
- UNLOCKED! 150 shares - Unlock "the VERDE CORNER" pledge level: Everything in the Ultra Squishy Weight Class AND you get to add a Signature Move to El Verde Viscoso.
- UNLOCKED! 200 shares - We will release an extra high resolution digital download of the box art as a wallpaper
- UNLOCKED! 250 shares - We will make a new origami color available for download. You can vote on your favorite color combination
- UNLOCKED! 500 shares - We will add 1 unique card to the game: "Most Horrible Taunt"
- 1000 shares - We will add 1 unique card to the game: "Paralysis Analysis"
International shipping is a challenge for most tabletop Kickstarters. Our goal: if we have enough pledges in a country with a fulfillment center, we will ship to that country free. Until we have those pledges, we have decided to keep things simple and provide international shipping for an added flat fee of $9 to Canada and the Western Europe part of the European Union.
To accommodate shipping to any of the regions below, please contact Bob directly so we can get you a personal quote.
- Australia/New Zealand
- Central/South America
- European Union (Central Europe)
- NON-EU Europe
The game has two play areas: the Wrestling Ring, which is a tactical slugfest, and the Spectator Arena, where the cultists try to maneuver superior positioning. You win by outright defeating your opponent or by holding the majority of the Arena.
- Origami: How many games do you know that come with origami folding instructions that explain how you can create a paper Lovecraftian horror? It's not needed to play the game, but definitely adds to the squishy fun.
- Taunting: Making your opponent laugh is part of our taunting game mechanic and will help you convert even more spectators in your loyal cult following.
- Gameflow: Los Cthuluchadores has fast and frenetic gameplay that revolves around out-thinking your opponents. A fun core ruleset with quick-to-learn advanced rules!
Want to give the full version of Los Cthuluchadores: Elder Things in the Wrestling Ring a try? You can!
Scheduled showcase events:
Note 2/18: We needed to cancel our full weekend appearance at Totalcon due to weather. We will be there on Saturday.
Aerjen will be part of the Boskone panel on making games, so that's your chance to ask him anything... Literally... Like why he wears a tracksuit with pink stripes... It's creepy. At Totalcon both Bob and Aerjen will be on the "Game Design - 101" panel.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Bob Kelly is the mad scientist behind Heresy Research Labs. He has been writing and designing for twenty years, creating worlds which tease our darker natures to the surface. After a five year hiatus, he has re-opened the doors to the Heresy Research Labs to share his inimitable flavor of game design. Bob is on the board of directors of the Game Makers Guild as technical lead. He specializes in implementing game mechanics which reinforce theme and playability.
Aerjen Tamminga is a game designer and research consultant. He makes use of his background in psychology when working on theme, art and usability in his games.
When he’s not using his experiments to figure out how humans work, he designs games and tries to figure out how humans work. He developed and taught several courses on game design, is one of the directors of the Boston Festival of Indie Games and organizes the Game Makers Guild.
- You can find several of his games on www.aerjengames.com
- Work in Progress and art updates are on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AerjenGames
- Game design tips on Twitter www.twitter.com/aerjengames
- And you can usually find him at the meetings of the Game Makers Guild: www.meetup.com/Game-Makers-Guild
As members of the Game Makers Guild in good standing, we have benefited from months of experienced game designers' and playtesters' feedback including blind and intensive testing. We also have taken the game to showcase events to ensure that the game is of high quality. If you do download our Print-and-Play version and feel rules need clarification or have questions, drop us a line and we'll review it with you. Bob is available most days via Google Hangouts, so feel free to ping him.
"I hate games about Cthulhu, but Los Cthuluchadores: Elder Things in the Wrestling Ring is delightfully zany, imaginative and fun."
- Glenn Given, designer of SLASH: Romance Without Boundaries
"The energy in the room when this game comes out is incredible! The origami wrestlers are very cool and the game board is beautifully illustrated. The gameplay is fast-paced and exciting, with all the fun of professional wrestling without the endless monologues and bedazzled tights."
- Jeremy Burnham, designer of Stack & Attack
Free for downloading, and you can edit as desired!
- Azul Abhorrence in PDF and Adobe Illustrator.
- Retching Roja (PDF, Adobe Illustrator)
- El Lodo Marrón (PDF, Adobe Illustrator) and
- El Verde Viscoso (PDF, Adobe Illustrator)
Unlocked by our Social Media shares - here's the two wallpapers! Thank you and keep sharing!!
Choose which size you want by clicking the links below the image.
If you are interested in selling Los Cthuluchadores: Elder Things in the Wrestling Ring, please contact Bob.
Risks and challenges
We have worked very hard at reducing the risks:
* Artwork: We have completed the artwork, with the exception of stretch goals and pledge awards.
* Manufacturing: For our production schedule we used conservative estimates. We have quotes from several established manufacturers to make sure that if one falls through, we can still deliver on our promises.
* Fulfillment: We are working with established fulfillment companies that deliver excellent quality.
* Expert guidance: Most importantly we have received a lot of advice from our game designer friends that have Kickstarted before us and were able to deliver.
* First Timers: Even though we have had a lot of excellent advice and have read up on our Kickstarter 101 (aka the Stonemaier blogs, Funding the Dream podcast and James Mathe's site - see Kickstarter Tutorials above), we do realize that this our first time running a Kickstarter, manufacturing and distributing a game. If you have any advice or questions for us, please send us an e-mail!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
If Elder Things have many eyestalks, why can a Cthuluchador only grapple opponents with Line of Sight? Wouldn't they have 360 degree vision?
Because the Cthuluchador wears its Mask.
The shipping costs per country breakdown
* Canada? $9.00
* UK? $9.00
* EU Europe? $9.00
If we can find a distributor and fulfillment agency, we will be able to bring the following prices down to something similar to those above.
* Mexico? $25.00
* Australia? $40.00
* Brazil? $40
Another option is to get friends to buy in and purchase at the multiple spawn points and we send a bunch to your location and you break them up and split the costs. This is probably the cheapest option because the games are going for $30 each and then shipping (which is pretty similar).
11" x 11" x 2" inches - but this depends greatly on our manufacturer and what they have standardized, so this is like the same size of SmallWorld or Ticket To Ride by Days of Wonder.
We are working on a full instruction booklet for people to download - along with templates. We are using the standard Octopus model - and the best website and video we've found is on Origami-Instructions.com.
You start with a square base, then fold to a frog base... from there, it's all about mastering time and space :)
No, the origami is completely optional and we do have normal playing pieces.
There are basic pieces - you can see them here on this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch…
And crushing the origami is optional - not necessary. We recommend you do fold them and crush them because it's way silly fun. You can always fold more.
In short, each card is custom. We will have to treat each new card as a custom creation and review with you what you want to build. There's three grapples, shambles and counters for each character available for customization.
You choose the name of the card and we will work with you about the tactics (aka gameplay) - for example, if you wanted to name a card "Chromatic Dragonclaw" - we'd suggest a grapple card with a bonus damage or bonus dominance tactic (or maybe both).
Support this project
- (40 days)