We've been hard at work the last few weeks finishing up the book, editing, layout, cover design, AR pop-up videos, etc. It's looking great. But, we do need your help in making this Kickstarter successful. We've added some new rewards:
First is the "VR/AR Starter Edition". This includes everything in the Patron Edition plus the Merge VR/AR Goggles and the Merge AR Cube:
Next, through a special partnership with the book artist Zenka, you get a signed and numbered medium (12"x16") or large (18"x23") print of either the following two prints:
There are only (5) available in each size of the two prints.
About The Project
This is a joint publishing project between myself (Robert Fine) and thought leader Charlie Fink. Charle and I have been working together for a couple of years now, and through a little support and guidance, Charlie has quickly become one of the leading thinkers in the virtual and augmented reality industry.
We're excited to be publishing a very unique book that will be completely AR-enabled. We have partnered with technology company Living Popups to bring this book to life. For a brief taste of what's in store, take a look at the following video:
In addition, all backers will receive a digital version of the book, which will be continuously updated by Charlie, and all backers will receive those updates. This is a living document, and will be kept up-to-date as the industry changes and develops.
We're also very excited to be collaborating with artist Zenka, who is designing the cover for the book. You can learn more about her artwork in the following video:
Charlie's Book Summary:
AR and VR represent a revolution in computing as impactful as the smartphone. This is developing into the greatest business story of our time, starring the biggest companies in the world. Hundreds of billions of dollars are at stake, and no one knows how it's going to end.
Thirty-five years of experience in media and technology have led me to three basic beliefs which provide the filter through which I view this remarkable story:
(1) Apps succeed when they make what we are already doing better, cheaper and faster.
(2) The killer app is other people.
(3) Everyone overestimates the present and underestimates the future.
A great roster of leaders and writers in the space have been brought on to contribute to different chapters throughout the book.
The current book outline follows:
2. War of the AR/VR/MR/XR Words
3. The Augmented Man & The Quest For Immersion
4. VR & AR in Popular Culture; Ready Player One and The Reality of Virtual Reality
5. How Stuff Works
6. The Inevitability of the AR HMD
7. VR & AR Hardware Shoppers Guide
8. Adoption of New Media
9. VR Apps, Games, Economics & Monetization
10. Big 5 (Google, Apple, Msft, FB, Amzn) Strategies for VR/AR
11. Bold Steps In Big China
12. AR and VR Apps for Enterprise
- Case Study: VR & Training
- Case Study: VR & Surgery
- Case Study: VR & Psychology
13. The Office of the Future
14. What’s Stopping AR?
- Will Mixed Reality Replace Phone Calls? The Coming Age of Empathic Computing
- The AR Cloud
15. What Will We Do There?
- Social VR
- The Art of VR
- Theater and VR/AR
- The DW Griffith of Virtual Reality
16. Can LBVR Save The Movie Theater, or The Mall?
17. The VR/AR Ecosystem
18. Very Slowly, And Then All At Once
Risks and challenges
Our biggest concern at this time is keeping all of our contributing writers on time with their chapters, and maintaining our printing schedule in order to launch the book at CES 2018 on January 8th in Las Vegas.
We don't expect the timeline to be impeded so much that we can't meet our delivery target of backer rewards by late January.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)