About this project
Mega Man X Majora's Mask
The moment-to-moment 2D Action-platforming of Mega Man with the impending doom of the Zarnok Fortress, a planet-encircling starship full of evil Robots bent on the destruction of your home-planet.
Discover the origin of the Zarnok Fortress and the planet it encircles, help Robo stop the Zarnok Robots by sabotaging the Fortress piece by piece.
After 4 years I'm taking all the ideas I've had from the project and giving them new life, starting a fresh project to build a proper Controller / Keyboard-Mouse experience.
Play the original "Robo's World 3: Zarnok Fortress DEM03" here:
- Sandbox Environment: 2 inter-connected levels with a variety of enemies
- Ranking and Power-ups: Defeat Zarnok Robots to earn experience, level-up and unlock new abilities
Alternate Difficulty: Different difficulties have different physical layouts and enemy placements!
Robo's Ammo Scramble Mini-game: The original look of the Digital Environment, in a time-limited minigame form.
- Multiplayer: 2-Player "Mirror-Match" multiplayer, 3 modes, 3 maps
- Single-player, 2D Action-Platformer
- Race against the clock: Destroy the Fortress before it reaches your home planet!
- Action-heavy, Stealth elements: Avoid setting off the alarm or be prepared to blast apart all the reinforcements coming your way
- Action, Reaction: Destroy parts of the ship and your actions will have real consequences on game-play, like taking out the Ship's engines to slow it down.
- Risk-Reward Efficiency: Zarnok Robots will repair the ship as you sabotage it piece by piece, be quick to destroy them all, or plant explosives to take them all out at once, without receiving the benefit of destroying that ship segment.
- Volatile Arsenal: Blast enemies apart with Lasers and Magnetic Grenades to rank up, unlocking new powers and abilities
- Enemies get more intelligent as you play, giving familiar encounters a fresh challenge
- Variable difficulty: The physical layout of the game changes, used for meta-game scoring.
Update: "Achievements, Failures, and Rewards" read more about the Unique way Zarnok Fortress will approach player reward
- The Challenge: As you traverse the Zarnok Fortress, the starship gets closer to its goal of destroying Robo's home world.
- The Solution: The Zarnok Robots maintain the "Digital Environment" to fast-travel between locations, which Robo can use as well.
- Risk-Reward Efficiency: It may save time, but Robo is at his most vulnerable! You cannot attack, and instant-death data purges block your path
- A Game within a Game: Navigating the Digital Environment is a completely different kind of challenge with unique controls and obstacles.
If the Campaign surpasses the Zarnok Ranking Multiplayer Stretch goal ($12,500 and 200 Backers), you can look forward to a unique take on competitive multiplayer where you play as a Zarnok robot and experience their ranking system. Destroy your brethren, acquire new bodies and lay waste to the competition.
- Soundtrack: Digital Download of the catchy tunes from the game, created by Mark Sparling!
Finished Game: Robo’s World: The Zarnok Fortress. This is the finished product, and of course entitles you to any updates or added features to the game. The more features we add to Zarnok Fortress, the bigger the game gets, the more the post-campaign cost will be, so get it now at a discounted price!
Bluish-Green Bundle: Get a copy of every desktop game I've published so far, to be “delivered” within a month of the end of the Kickstarter Campaign.
- Orbit: A unique blend of the Tower Defense and Real-Time Strategy genres.
- Robo's World: The Blulite Rocks: The previous game in the Robo's World series, a platforming adventure
- Mars Lander Builder: Create, play and share levels in this challenging level builder.
- Pixel Puzzle: Tile Tap: Casual fun, beautiful colour puzzles.
- SpeedRun: Arcade action at break-neck speed!
Smaller, polished “Modules” that ship ahead of the finished product. Donating at different tiers gets you access to different Modules. Module Access stacks, so just like the overall rewards, you get every other Access Tier:
- Multiplayer: (If this Stretch Goal is released) Face off against an opponent as a Zarnok Robot, and try to attain the highest rank by destroying as many of your brethren as possible within the time limit.
- Ultra Difficult Code: (Not technically a Module, but unlocked along the same reward "stream") Games are always the easiest for the developers making them, so it’s good practice to tune down the difficulty from what the devs are used to. Players can work hard to unlock a code that will give them access to Ultra Difficult Mode, but you’ll have it e-mailed to you to share at your discretion.
- Release Candidate: The game in its penultimate stage! We've deemed the game finished and are just conducting some final testing before sending it out the door.
- Closed Beta: The game is just about done at this phase, and you’ll be the first to experience the game in its entirety, sans a little polish. We’re genuinely looking for feedback and bug reports at this stage, it is a Beta in the truest sense of the word.
- Closed Alpha: Only the most dedicated players will get access to this tier. My approach to game design has always been that of incrementally adding in functional parts and solving bugs as I go, so hopefully this will be a far more polished alpha experience than you’re used to.
Your name will be in the Online Backer list within a month of the end of the Campaign!
- Online Backer List: You’ll be added to the webpage of kind souls who supported the game’s development.
- Credit List: Your generous contribution has landed you in the credits sequence for the game! Show it off to your friends!
- Twitter Handle: Your Twitter handle will be included in both the Credits, and it will be hyperlinked directly to your account on the Online Backer List!
- Custom URL: Add a custom URL to both lists, as long as it doesn't link to anything profane or illegal. Hyperlinked on the Online Backer List.
(To be “delivered” within a month of the end of the Kickstarter Campaign)
- View: The game’s design documents are shared on Google Drive between the development team, and now you! Get a comprehensive look at every minute detail in the game.
- Comment: Commenting access to the game design docs. Let your voice be heard!
- Survey Access: Get in on development surveys! Lots of design decisions are made throughout the creation of a game, and now you can be a part of them.
- T-Shirt: An official Robo’s World: The Zarnok Fortress T-Shirt. Printing is being handled by Chop Shop Goods! No URLs or promo garbage cluttering up the shirt, this is for you, not a billboard ad for the game. Both types of shirts will be Campaign Exclusive!
- RWtZF Shirt: “Kickstarter Backer” written in the Zarnok Alphabet and “Z” Emblem. Since there is no custom printing involved, you’ll get it quick!
- Custom Shirt: A Custom Rank and your Name (first / last) printed in the Zarnok Alphabet (you can optionally have the name printed in plain english characters). Delivery date will depend on total number of shirts ordered and destination of shipping, but I’ll get them out as soon as possible.
Inscription: Leave a special message in the game world written in the Zarnok Alphabet (cannot include profanity)
Attend Launch Party: The Launch Party for Robo’s World: Zarnok Fortress will be taking place in Toronto, Ontario at Bento Miso! Spend the night having fun and playing video games with the development team and other Backers. Pizza and drinks are on us! (Does NOT cover the cost of transportation, lodging etc)
Physical copies of the game / soundtrack ship immediately after the game does, but you'll also get your digital copies right at launch.
- The Game: A DRM Free version of the game on disc to be played on Mac or PC, signed by the developers. The Bluish-Green Bundle will also be loaded onto the disc!
- Soundtrack: A physical disc of the game’s soundtrack composed and signed by Mark Sparling.
- Design an Achievement: While playing a Module, you’ll likely perform some incredible feat before the game launches, like shooting a Sentry out of the air to have it land on the head of a fellow Zarnok Robot. If you so choose, you can challenge players to emulate your success and have said feat become an official Achievement in the game.
- Bonus Room: Gamers will be familiar with the “Chris Houlihan” Room in Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past. Now you can immortalize your name in the form of a hidden in-game good packed to the brim with player assisting goodies. Health restoration, experience bonuses, you name it! Players are sure to fondly remember your name.
- Design an Enemy: Aside from the basic Ranked Zarnok Robots, there are all sorts of Experimental robots running about the ship, and you’ll get to design one! We’ll Skype, message, and work together to create something that is as memorable as any other enemy in the game.
- Dust City: The surface of the Zarnok planet is littered with crumbling remains of a long forgotten civilization, mostly leveled by the conquering Zarnok Robots. You’ll get a city added and named in your honour, plus a statue of your likeness to commemorate it!
Every Game Ever: Not just the Bluish-Green Bundle and Robo’s World: Zarnok Fortress, but every other game I’m ever involved in the development of, you’re getting a copy, even if I have to buy it for you (like on Mobile App Stores) Existing games to be delivered within a week of the end of the Kickstarter Campaign, every other game will be delivered as it is released.
Hi! I'm the one writing all this. This is my game, my passion! Even at the young age of 20, I've already been involved in game development for over a decade, most of which I created from scratch entirely by myself. This time around I'll be working together with a team, so I can expand the scope of the project as a result!
When I'm not making games, I've been working at a technology day-camp that teaches kids of all ages how to animate, program, and build Lego robots. The kids at the camp have always loved to play the games I make, and I hope you will too!
Ari Lotter is a programming prodigy. He's younger than I am, but already far better at programming than I could hope to be. We worked on Orbit together, after his original game idea won him top prize in a game jam!
He's also a free-lance web designer. Check out his site!
Will of Throw Away Games will be handling the artwork and animation for Robo's World: The Zarnok Fortress. This will be our first time working on a project, and I hope you're as excited as I am after seeing his concept artwork.
Mark Sparling will be composing the music for Robo's World: The Zarnok Fortress. He's a really talented guy, much more so than he's willing to admit because he's also very humble. Listen to one of his in-progress tracks here:
Over the course of a weekend I worked together with Mark at TO Jam where we made Gentlemen, Drop Dead. Give it a play and listen to that super-catchy retro vaudeville music Mark whipped up over the course of 3 days! [Download Gentlemen, Drop Dead]
"Kickstarter Fees" include the 8-10% surcharge on donation amounts, plus coverage of rewards, most of which will be out of pocket.
Why $10,000: That's the smallest possible amount we need to get this game off the ground. I'd happily work for less since this is a passion project of mine, but my team members deserve to be paid a fair sum!
We are participating in OUYA's #FreeTheGames Fund, created by OUYA to support developers making new and creative console games. OUYA will match your pledge dollar-for-dollar up to the goal amount (and a max of $250,000), so help Robo's World: The Zarnok Fortress get there and be a great game for everyone! To be eligible for this match, we commit that this game will be an OUYA exclusive for a period of time. To learn more about OUYA, go to www.OUYA.tv.
OUYA is presenting a fantastic opportunity with their Free the Games Fund! It's going to let us make twice the game we could otherwise make with the amount we raise. Every Reward, every Stretch Goal is essentially subsidized by OUYA! That's how we're going to be able to do so much while only asking for so little. Even better, GameMaker Studio will allow for us to develop and release for OUYA simultaneously with our Mac / PC version of the game!
TL;DR: No delays, cheaper rewards, and nothing but good stuff for you! We need a minimum of 100 Backers per $10,000 raised to have the amounts matched! Help us reach those Stretch Goals and spread the word!
Kicking it Forward:
We'll commit 5% of profits towards getting future Kickstarter projects funded! Learn more about the Kicking it Forward initiative at; http://kickingitforward.org
Risks and challenges
A TEAM EFFORT
Of the several game projects I've worked on, most of them have been solitary efforts. The skills of my team members are evident, it will be my job to keep everyone on the same page and working towards the unified vision I have for the game. I will be drawing on my experience as a leader from my academic projects as well as my 9 years of experience as a camp counselor.
BUILDING FOR OUYA
This will be my first project developing for OUYA, and first formal project with game-pad support. I'm confident in GameMaker's cross-compatibility, and it took me just a couple hours to map the existing demo's controls to a game-pad. The game will ship with a few built-in control options, and they will all be fully customizable!
DEALING WITH A BUDGET
So far I have only invested my time and effort into the games I've made. This will be the first time where I will be responsible for allocating funds towards other team members working on a project. We're proud to go forward with the game's development, even on a shoe-string budget because we have faith in the quality of the finished product.
ONE YEAR DEADLINE
This is actually the challenge I'm least concerned with. I've worked on projects of all different time scales, and I have a great understanding of what can be done within a given time frame. This is why I'm shipping the three game modes in separate stages, the first of which we will have finished within a year. Other modes will ship at to-be-announced times after the original one-year deadline.
DEALING WITH SETBACKS
While I have already budgeted time for dealing with the technical problems we may encounter throughout the course of the game's development, there's always the possibility for life to throw one or more of our team members a curveball.Ultimately I only have control over the quality and timeliness of my own work but I know that whatever setbacks we are faced with, I will be able to rise to the challenge and at worst, make the tough decisions about what we don't include in the initial release to ensure a polished launch. This game is my passion, and I will see it delivered on time come hell or high water.
Support this project
- (31 days)