BLUEmometer - a waterproof thermometer for iOS and Android
BLUEmometer - a waterproof thermometer for iOS and Android
BLUEmometer - a universal waterproof thermometer that connects to your iOS or Android smartphone via Bluetooth.
BLUEmometer - a universal waterproof thermometer that connects to your iOS or Android smartphone via Bluetooth. Read more
About this project
Our website in Spanish, German, French, Russian and English
Our video with Spanish and German subtitles (and here's how to turn them on)
What is BLUEmometer?
BLUEmometer is a universal thermometer that can measure the temperature of anything you can think of. It connects to your phone via Bluetooth and instantly shows the temperature around you.
But... you might say it‘s one of many that are in the market right now. Well, our thermometer is waterproof and that, my dear friends, makes it usable everywhere. Baby milk, bath, pool, sea, beer, wine, freezer, fridge, etc. Oh yeah, and weather temperature, too. Just think where you need your temperature the most.
We made our BLUEmometer hermetically sealed. This means that damp, water and other liquids won‘t get inside it.
To make sure it is completely 100% waterproof we have accepted a small drawback - the battery is not replaceable. Don't be scared and worried though. We are using a BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) module that conserves energy and a battery that is 8.3mm thick. Therefore, the battery will last you around 10,000 temperature measures, which is about 3 years of usage, if you measure temperature 10 times a day. I know, it's just numbers for you, but believe me, that is quite a lot.
If we raise $110k, we will redesign the BLUEmometer to have a replaceable battery, then it will work for centuries! Of course, in order to achieve that please share this project and let's make it happen together.
So... Where can you use it? The answer is: almost anywhere.
The thermometer is also completely food friendly. You can wash BLUEmometer before putting it in food or liquids; using dish-washing products, soap or hand sanitizer before measuring temperature.
We will ship BLUEmometer to US and EU for FREE (incl. EEA countries). Shipping to other countries have additional charges and customs taxes.
We are almost halfway!
The prototype housing
We designed our product to fit everything we need to make a good, universal and reliable thermometer. The latest BLE module, high quality accurate temperature sensor, reliable battery that will last you longer. Initially we though the housing will be only plastic. But then after testing the prototype we saw that plastic is not a very good conductor. So we introduced a metal plate in our design to improve the reaction time of temperature sensors. Here you can see the evolution of our prototype:
The latest PCB version with microcontroller and temperature sensor on board, the size is optimized to fit the housing. The PCB is specially designed to fit the large battery with a goal that it would last you for a very long time (minimum 3 years). We have designed the board to be ready to include other sensors (pressure and humidity) if needed. This allows to convert BLUEmometer into a weather station - guess what our stretch-goals would be? :)
Application - for iOS and Android. How it will look like:
- Temperature. You connect your BLUEmometer and it'll show the temperature instantly
- Set a Notification. Haven't reached the right temperature yet? Leave the thermometer in and set a notification to notify you.
- Book of Temperatures. It's a database of temperatures and tips for things that require a specific temperature.
- Key Finder. The Bluetooth module allows you to search for your BLUEmometer in the range, which is very useful when you lose your keys or other belongings.
- Reinvented fun. We have changed the game of Hot & Cold. Hide your thermometer and challenge someone to find it with the Hot & Cold 2.0 function.
- Celsius and Fahrenheit. Settings have the functionality to change it.
Two cases to choose from
The two cases are made to fit a BLUEmometer perfectly. You can use BLUEmometer with the case as the metal conductor is exposed to surroundings. You can see that the cases are still in a prototype stage with work in progress.
The cases are made from specially selected linen, a very natural, durable and unique cloth. It is superior than cotton. Linen is stronger, has an excellent resistance to heat and sun, extraordinary resistance to chemicals, fungus, bacteria.
Why we need your help?
We reached a point where we need significant investments to bring BLUEmometer to the market. We have come a long way so far, but that is not enough as there are several areas where we will need your help by pledging and buying this product:
- Injection molding. Currently, we have finalized our prototype and have prepared it for the creation of a mold. We will require a substantial amount of funds to make one.
- Waterproof technology. We already have the waterproofing technology in the prototype, the difficulty now is to copy this design over into full scale production. Planning, scheduling, organizing and assembly of a hermetically sealed product is quite a headache. And a money drainer.
- iOS and Android apps. At the moment we are at a beta stage where we have the initial coding and design. We created everything ourselves and we reached a point where we need external knowledge. The money gathered will be used to hire an app developer to finalize the coding, tie up the design, pick out all the errors and put the app on the Appstore and Playstore.
Our team is grateful that you paid interest in our product and we hope that you enjoyed our presentation. It was a wonderful journey full of challenges so far. We hope that it will not end here, and we can move forward with this unique idea.
Thank you all who contributed to this project.
Risks and challenges
Our team's philosophy regarding any product related process is Just In Case.
Our suppliers are tested and already chosen. All the components are ready to order just a click away. Of course, we can't avoid such things as supplier delays as these things happen from time to time. We have found an injection mold company and have all the required things to start the making of it.
We have 3 potential assembly companies, which advised us it will take them around 10 weeks to reserve time and adapt their assembly line to produce our waterproof technology together with the product.
Of course, exogenous events happen, suppliers sometimes are late, assembly companies lag behind, production line is not spotless the first time. But we will do everything that is in our power to avoid and overcome occurring challenges.
If something comes up, you will be the first ones to hear it. We will keep you up to date and informed on all the steps.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)