Safe Zone - Travel across a zombie-infested USA to a safe zone on the West coast. Read more
This project was successfully funded on July 21, 2011.
The player clicks the staircase and a dialogue pops up, asking if he would like to go to the next story. If the player clicks yes, the current floor fades to the next floor, which is placed directly on top of the first floor. The player character is moved to the top of the staircase on this floor.Pros:
- The same method can be applied to ladders, ropes, and other transition objects.
- It would have a cool 3D look to it. Things outside the building would get smaller as you went up.
- Ease of transition. There would be no struggle to shoot down the stairs at a zombie on a level below you, with the floor of the second level in the way of your vision.
- Interrupts flow with a brief loading screen, and by moving the player character slightly.
- Enemies would need a new (probably less intuative) method to chase you up stairs.
The player walks up the staircase the same way he would walk anywhere (the arrow keys or WASD). There is a quick fade as the next floor loads, but it is offset from the first floor by the height of the walls. The player character’s position does not change on the screen.
- No load screens between floors
- You can be chased up the stairs by zombies.
- The player character’s location on screen doesn’t change
- We would need to use a different method of transition for ladders, ropes, elevators, etc.
- It would take longer to initially load a level, or else there would be a load whenever the player entered a building.
- The player can’t shoot between levels if he is being chased up stairs.
We are leaning towards option 2, but we want to hear all of your thoughts. What do you think? Do you have a third option we haven’t considered? Leave a comment and we can discuss!