Castle Breakers (Canceled)
Smash your way across a 3D pixellated world of fantasy adventure in this retro inspired, arcade action/rpg mashup!
Inspired by the block breaker games of yore, Castle Breakers is a physics driven action adventure RPG, wrapped in a 3D pixellated fantasy theme.
- Initially targeting iOS and Android platforms.
- Launch is projected for the first quarter of 2014.
- To be released for free, monetized with reasonable and fair downloadable content.
The forces of evil have besieged the kingdom and set up fortifications across the land. You, the last of the Castle Breaker Knights, have been called upon to rid the world of this scourge. Rise. Go forth. Crush your enemies. See them driven before you!
- Awesome Action: Physics driven game play. Decimate targets with skill based positioning and timing.
- Dramatic Destruction: Break, bash, and smash just about everything on the playfield and leave the carnage in your wake.
- Gorgeous Graphics: Voxel style artwork, rendered with modern shader technology, for a pixellated fantasy storybook feel.
- Massive Map: Travel to (and wreck) unique and interesting locations! Glittering palaces, decrepit ruins, magic towers and more.
- Boss Battles: Super tough boss characters will challenge even the most skilled Castle Breaker Knight with their special attacks and unique AI.
- Mighty Magic: Fire, lightning, ice! Unleash devastating spells on the enemy.
- Secret SECRETS: Hidden areas, shortcuts, traps. What other mysteries await?
The world of Castle Breakers is represented by a large overworld map, divided up into a number of different territories: the grassy plains, frozen wastes, the swamplands, great desert, and more. These zones are populated with numerous points of interest for the player to visit: castles, towns, fortresses, and so forth.
Each of these destinations have been captured and overrun by one of the many nefarious groups of evil-doers that have suddenly appeared across the land. Orc tribes, legions of black knights, packs of wild beasts, and even a dragon or two await your arrival.
The player's mission is to explore the far reaches of the map, destroying obstacles and defeating enemies in each location in order to take down each boss that has taken up residence.
Players may tackle available destinations on the map in any order they like. Each location has hidden areas and alternate routes within. The player can set up camp, visit shops, and discover side quests.
Each map location can contain from one to ten or more battlefields where the core game play takes place. The player controls the character, setting position and then striking the wrecking ball with a swing of his sword. This sets the ball in motion on the field, where it smashes into obstacles and enemies, eventually returning to the player's zone. By adjusting position and timing the attack, the player can direct the ball towards specific targets.
If the ball manages to get past the player, it is lost. Lose too many, and the player will have to mount a new assault.
Within the battlefield players will not only have the wrecking ball at their disposal, but have an inventory of spells, weapons, and other equipment to assist them. In addition, a variety of power ups may drop from enemies or destroyed objects.
My name is Alan Noon. After many years of employment in the game industry, I have taken the plunge and become a full time independent developer. Inspired by the games I grew up with such as Super Breakout and Warlords, I came up with the idea for Castle Breakers, which is my first indie project. Thus far I am the sole developer, handling design, code, art, animation, and sound.
In the past I have worked on coin op arcade games, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, PS3, Xbox 360, and video slot machines, holding the positions of Project Manager, Game Designer, Senior Technical Artist, as well as both 3D and 2D artist/animator. I have worked on a variety of games across a number of genres including 1st and 3rd person shooters, fighting games, puzzle games, sports games, and more.
I originally got into the business to make the games that I had always wanted to play: unique experiences built upon fun, solid mechanics coupled with top notch graphics and sound. I wanted to create worlds and characters that would transport players to new and interesting places.
Looking back I realized that at some point my career had gone astray. I wasn't making games that I had a real passion for. I was working on somebody else's projects that had to pass through the hands of dozens, and in some cases, hundreds of other people. I was weary of the repeated stories of company after company churning and burning through their employees following projects that failed to make whatever lofty projections they were anchored with.
I wanted to get back to working with a small, nimble team of talented and motivated individuals. I wanted to work on projects that were creative, innovative, and polished. I wanted to be the master of my own game development destiny.
After parting ways with my previous employer, I have completely devoted myself to getting my indie game dev career off the ground. To date I have put over three months of development time into the Castle Breakers' prototype, as well as another couple of months into giving myself a crash course in programming, building my online presence, and assembling this kickstarter campaign, all self funded.
The core functionality, art style, and content pipeline of the game have been implemented and established, yet there is still more to do. Creating levels, purchasing hardware for development and testing, buying software licenses, and keeping a roof over the heads of my family aren't free!
I need your support to help take Castle Breakers from prototype to finished product. Your generosity will enable me to chase my dream of independent game development and to continue to pursue my commitment to creating focused, high quality experiences with an emphasis on polished, engaging game play.
It is important to me that each and every Castle Breakers supporter knows that I truly and deeply appreciate their donation. As such, here are the basics of the reward plan:
- Every backer gets their name in the credits as a special thank you for their donation.
- Every backer receives a booster pack: a bonus selection of in-game items, currency, power ups, etc.
- Each successive reward tier receives ALL rewards from previous tiers. (Unless specifically noted otherwise.)
Now on to the rewards:
A Tier: Credit Due
- Name in Credits: Your name will be immortalized in the credits for being a supporter of Castle Breakers for all time. FOR ALL TIME.
- In Game Booster Pack #1: A selection of power ups to assist you on your journey. Take this. It's unsafe to go alone.
B Tier: Digital Collector's Set
- Digital Instruction Manual: Provides an overview of the game play, control, and operation information, as well as a number of details regarding the world and enemies you will face. And don't forget the ever important "notes" section!
- Digital Wallpaper: A high resolution digital poster, suitable for displaying as your desktop background.
- Digital Overworld Map: A gorgeous representation of the world of Castle Breakers to help you find your way.
- Digital Papercraft Set: Recreate the world of Castle Breakers in the real world with these paper models! A number of the 3D characters and objects from the game have been flattened out and arranged on a digital page for you to print, cut, and fold together!
C Tier: Behind the Scenes
- Development Forum Access: Discuss Castle Breakers with the developer as well as your fellow backers on the exclusive developer forum.
- Weekly Online Hangout: Hold on to your underpants! Once a week, tune in to interact with me, LIVE. Discuss Castle Breakers as it takes shape, or just chat about games and the game industry in general!
- Early Builds/Feedback: Take part in the actual creation of the game by providing feedback on special prototype builds of Castle Breakers. Or not; it's up to you!
D Tier: Power Up!
- In Game Booster Pack #2: Get further, faster, deeper with the In Game Booster Pack #2! Mo' money. Mo' magic. Mo' a handful of power ups.
E Tier: Special Edition Digital Collectors Set
- T-Shirt: Not your typical tent sized mess of threads plastered with some tacky advertising slogan; Oh no. Classy design, fashionable cut.
- Digital Strategy Guide: More information than you know what to do with! Every detail of the game laid bare, such as object hit points, damage modifiers, collision windows, movement speeds, AI breakdowns, etc. (Does not include secrets!!!)
- Digital Wallpaper, Special Edition: You've seen his work in films such as Iron Man 3, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, The Amazing Spiderman, and more. I am proud to announce that Black Black Beast, LLC has partnered with renown Hollywood concept artist, Josh Nizzi to offer a stunning, one of a kind work of Castle Breakers art for your viewing pleasure.
F Tier: Physical Collectors Set
- Printed Burlap Map: Still losing your way while exploring the lands of Castle Breakers? Never fear! Immerse yourself in the lore of the land with this pseudo-authentic artifact rendered in real ink, on real burlap.
- Printed Theatrical Style Poster: Suitable for framing, the Castle Breakers Theatrical Style Poster features bold graphic design, rendered with the actual in-game models in high resolution, printed on glossy, high quality archival paper.
G Tier: Special Edition Physical Collectors Set
- In Game Booster Pack #3: All the other power ups, PLUS, powerups that are even MORE BETTERER than ALL OF THE OTHER POWER UPS.
- Printed Special Edition Poster: We take Josh Nizzi's fantastic re-imagining of the Castle Breakers world and print it in glorious full color in high resolution on glossy, high quality archival paper.
- Castle Breakers Hoodie: Wrap yourself in the comfort and style of the official Special Edition Hooded sweatshirt. Zip front, with tasteful Castle Breakers graphics featuring a design that will not be sold after this Kickstarter Campaign!
For the upper echelons of pledgedom, very special rewards await! Read on...
H Tier: Knight's Collector Set
- 3D Printed Castle Breaker Knight: We take the actual realtime main character game model, pose him in an epic fashion upon an suitably awesome base, and then have him printed as physical statuette. A treasure for the ages! (3"-4" approximate size)
I Tier: Queen's Collectors Set
- Special Edition Retro Game: That's right; in addition to everything else, you will also get a completely separate and super premium version of the game: Castle Breakers Retro. Much like the block breaker games of the late 70's and early 80's that originally inspired it, Castle Breakers will be recreated in the style of an Atari game of that era. Here's the interesting part: While Queen Collectors Set and King Collectors Set Backers will receive this very special edition of the game for free, it will only be for sale to the general public at a prohibitively expensive price, (the maximum permitted by the storefront.) This will all but ensure that Castle Breakers supporters at these levels remain members of a very elite and very much well appreciated club.
J Tier: King's Collectors Set
- Full Page Personalized "Thank You" Screen: For donating at this topmost tier, you will be provided your own very special thank you screen. Keep it simple with text, or dress it with graphics. Display your name, or put your corporation's logo up for all to see. (Final screen subject to editorial approval. No defamatory, libelous, hate, propaganda, religious or political speech. etc)
- Table Top Arcade Machine: Your very own stand alone table top arcade machine version of Castle Breakers. A real wood cabinet, complete with flat screen monitor, professional grade side art, arcade quality controls, all powered by a streamlined hardware set, running a custom version of the game. This is the ultimate collector's piece. The ultimate reward for being the ultimate backer.
The funding goal is to help cover costs associated with taking the current prototype through to final product. Should that funding goal be exceeded, the extra money will go towards making Castle Breakers even bigger and better in a number of ways.
As this Kickstarter Campaign winds towards its funding goal, I will reveal stretch goals along the way.
Suffice it to say, there is a variety of extra content and a number of features that could be implemented in order to enrich the game. But I want to hear from YOU! Sound off in the comments and let me know how you would like to see Castle Breakers experience grow.
A few ideas:
- New platforms (Vita, PC/Linux, etc)
- Character customization
- Weapons crafting
- New races and classes of enemies
- New locations to explore
- Expanded weapons, equipment, and magic systems
- Cinema quality soundtrack
- Missions, achievements, etc
- and so on...
In addition to the content and features listed above, a portion of the money will go towards assistance with developing and then promoting the game, possibly such as:
- Hiring additional help with programming, art, sound, and animation
- Purchasing new development equipment and software
- Promoting the game at various gaming shows and festivals
Risks and challenges
As with any game development project on a limited budget, time is the enemy: some aspects may take longer than expected to implement. Tuning the experience and refining the feel of the game play may require additional polish.
However, as Project Manager during my previous employment, I learned the value of making hard decisions to cut elements that will adversely affect delivery of the end product, while still providing a commitment to a high quality player experience. I will carry that philosophy forward to Castle Breakers and ensure that the player gets the best value for their entertainment dollar in a timely manner.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)