Bissy is one of a kind! The only energy drink on the market with natural energy from the ancient kolanut fruit, formulated to give you a healthy boost that you can be proud of.
When to #getbissy
We crafted Bissy to be a timeless solution to fatigue. Whether it is to jumpstart your day, push you through the afternoon, or turn your night into something to remember, Bissy has you covered.
Watch it Flow
We all have that friend who guzzles unhealthy energy drinks. Help them clean up their act by letting them in on Bissy.
The Ancient Kolanut
Indigenous to West Africa, kolanut fruit has been consumed and traded for thousands of years in private and social settings for its powerful stimulating effects.
Caffeine and Theobromine
The kolanut is packed with caffeine and theobromine which team up to give a one-of-a-kind energy boost that is seriously blissful. Now you can breathe easy and focus hard.
Caffeine is a powerful cognitive stimulant that boosts energy levels, and increases focus by blocking the brain’s adenosine receptors.
Theobromine is an effective bronchodilator, opening the blood vessels in your lungs to receive more oxygen. Allowing you to perform better and perform longer.
We partnered with the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN) to better understand our farmer's challenges and needs. We work with them directly, effectively cutting out the middlemen, so they can capture more of each dollar.
With the help of CRIN and their 60 years of farmer data and technical expertise, Bissy will be the first to ever certify the kolanut as a Fair Trade ingredient and become the first ever registered Fair Trade operator in Nigeria. With Fair Trade we will pay a premium for the highest-quality kolanut on the market, set price floors to protect our farmers against price volatility, and provide capital towards a development fund to help farmers improve their farming practices, increase their yields, and build a better community.
Help us spread the good word about kolanut - we can't do this without your support!
Hear it straight from The Tribe.
In The News
A Small Discovery Turns Into A Big Idea
A Public Benefit Corporation
Public-benefit corporations are a specific type of corporation that allow for public benefit to be a charter purpose in addition to the traditional corporate goal of maximizing profit for shareholders. By writing public benefit into our company DNA we commit ourselves to empowering our farmers, investing in our employees, and mitigating our carbon footprint through constant improvement in our sustainability initiatives.
The Proof is in the Pudding
Our formula was developed by a team of industry experts, advised by a world renowned toxicologist.
Bissy is Pioneering Sustainability
State of the Art Caps
Our aluminum caps are uniquely designed to make the recycling process as smooth as possible, resulting in a higher conversion of waste that is diverted from landfills. Once the seal is broken, the cap and tamper evident band stay connected allowing the aluminum and glass to be separated seamlessly at the recycling facility. This way we can turn one Bissy into infinite Bissy!
Infinitely Recyclable Bottle
Each year, the production of plastic bottles requires > 17 million barrels of oil to meet US demand alone. Once consumed the bottles then find their way into our landfills at a rate of 38 billion bottles per year, resulting in ground water contamination, ocean pollution, and the micro plastic epidemic. Our bottles are made from glass, which is infinitely recyclable and does not breakdown into volatile chemicals when thrown out or left in the environment.
Perks and Stretch Goals
Zach and James have been creating movements together since they became friends at the young age of 10 years old. Zach is well versed in corporate law and international business while James has an intricate understanding of sales, marketing, and corporate finance. Their diverse experience and technical know-how are a great compliment to one another.
Their advisors round out a strong team providing technical advisory in corporate strategy, strategic growth, sustainability, and social equity.
Why should I back it now?
- Take advantage of our huge discounts available on Kickstarter! Our retail price will become $4.10 USD per bottle once Kickstarter campaign is completed in October.
- Be among the first in the world to get Bissy and feel the natural boost of kolanut!
- Get additional giveaways and future discounts depending on your pledge level.
What is kolanut fruit?
- Kolanut fruit (Cola acuminata) is a caffeine, theobromine, and antioxidant-rich fruit from West Africa that is an excellent alternative to other traditional sources of caffeine. Thanks to its unique biological makeup of caffeine, theobromine and polyphenols, the kolanut fruit provides sustained energy, deeper breath, mood enhancement, and better focus - without feeling a crash.
- When used in its raw form, kolanut offers as much caffeine as coffee and twice the theobromine of green tea per serving.
What are polyphenols and theobromine?
- Polyphenols are a type of antioxidant, which help protect the body against oxidative stress. This protective effect is essential to healthy aging and helps reduce the risks of various forms of disease.
- Theobromine is a naturally occurring compound found in kolanut. Theobromine is a bronchodilator, opening the blood vessels in the lungs to receive more oxygen. Along with increasing energy levels, theobromine is known for its relaxing and mood enhancing effects related to better blood flow throughout the body.
What does "Bissy" mean?
- Bissy is a colloquial Jamaican term for "kolanut". For the Jamaicans, it is a term of immense cultural importance. As a company, Bissy Energy is committed to sharing the story of kolanut and its use throughout West African and West African diaspora.
What makes Bissy energy drinks, plant-based and healthy?
- Our energy blend comes directly from the kolanut fruit which is rich with caffeine and theobromine.
- We use all natural, plant based ingredients like vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, orange, and clove to create a delicious flavor profile that is rich with antioxidants.
- Low in calories (25).
- Bissy only has 6 grams of carbs from added natural dark brown sugar per bottle. we have a lower sugar content than 90% of other energy drinks on the market.
With Bissy you can minimize your calorie and daily sugar intake and keep busy around the clock!
Will the Royal Kolanut Fruit energy drink make me jittery?
- Bissy natural energy drinks were developed to provide you with a clean, cozy energy boost. The caffeine and theobromine, derived from kolanut fruit, pairs with the rich antioxidants from our other ingredients to deliver a comfortable climb to a cheerful experience.
- However, please be aware that there is still 160 mg of caffeine in each bottle. So if you are sensitive to caffeine or typically only drink low levels of it, please consume Bissy accordingly. A resealable bottle means multiple uses!
Is Bissy FDA approved?
- Bissy is FDA compliant and made completely from plant based ingredients. This means that our ingredients are Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by the FDA monograph system. Additionally, every step of our process including sourcing, testing, and manufacturing Bissy complies with the requirements set forth in the FDA regulations.
Do we ship outside the US?
- We are only able to ship within the US for now, but we are working to expand to more countries soon!
I'm ordering for my office, what should I do?
- Depending on your office size, we would suggest backing The Energy Guru, The Tribal Council, or The Igwe (Chief). We are also happy to tell you more about our office ordering program. Please reach out to us here!
Are Bissy natural energy drinks 100% Vegan?
- You bet! Our natural energy drinks use only plant based ingredients. So they are gluten free, soy free and dairy free.
How many net carbs are in the Royal Kolanut Fruit energy drink?
- The Royal Kolanut Fruit energy drink contains 6 net carbs per bottle, derived from added natural dark brown sugar. Net carbs are the total carbohydrates minus the total fiber and sugar alcohols.
Will you ship wholesale?
- Yes! We are passionate about sharing the power of Kolanut Fruit with as many customers as possible. Please reach out to us here and we will work with you to get this in your customers hands.
How long is the shelf life for Bissy?
- The shelf life is 24 months.
Did we answer all of your questions?
- We pride ourselves in putting our customers and farmers first and foremost. If we covered all your questions, we hope you will back our project! Otherwise, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us here and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Risks and challenges
Our team is committed to manufacturing the highest quality product, without compromise. We have partnered with the best suppliers, the best manufacturer, and logistics teams to ensure you receive a high quality product on time. There are always risks and challenges in producing a thoughtfully crafted beverage at scale, but should any issues arise we promise to keep you updated every step of the way.
We will send updates to our backers throughout the campaign and afterwards to ensure we stay transparent about where we are in our process. Following the successful completion of our campaign, we plan to go into production in October and ship rewards by December 2019. We are confident in our ability to deliver on schedule and with the utmost quality.
Thank you for joining the Bissy Tribe, and our mission to bring healthy kolanut energy to the world. We couldn't do this without your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)