Each season we have repeatedly searched for a basic American-made T-shirt that is not only fashionable, but price conscious. Unable to find what we wanted, we decided to take matters into our own hands. Now we need YOUR help to make the perfect, affordable, American-made T-shirt. It is that simple, an affordable fashion-forward basic T-shirt that will be a sustainable staple in your wardrobe. To do this, we looked for vertically integrated factories that:
- Source premium, raw materials grown here in the U.S.
- Produce made-to-order knit textiles, so we can ensure they remain available for future replenishment, cutting down on development costs.
- Easily accessible, allowing for quality control and clear communication.
- Ensure good working conditions and treat their factory workers with respect within a professional atmosphere.
- Give back to their local communities.
American made is not a new fad; it is a sustainable way of life that creates jobs, puts money back into the economy and, above all, allows us to carefully monitor unfair labor practices typically seen in international manufacturing. As educators, we drive this mentality into our students, explaining that purchasing the $10 fast fashion T-shirt causes negative ripples throughout the supply chain, especially within our communities.
We are offering two American-made basic silhouettes to start, a T-shirt and a Tank, both made from an organic cotton and tencel blend. The entire garment, from fiber to finish, is made in the USA from hard-working, skilled adults. We spent countless hours working on the right silhouette that will flatter all shapes and sizes, while still remaining fashion forward. Because we are manufacturing in the U.S., we can ensure the quality lives up to our expectations, but more importantly, YOURS.
Below are the rewards you can receive by making a pledge to our Kickstarter campaign. Based on your pledge amount, you may be able to receive multiple rewards or be part of future Bishop Collective endeavors!
- $5 Pledges will get a great big digital hug and personal thank you from Bishop Collective co-founders, expressing our extreme gratitude for believing in our onshoring initiatives.
- $20 Pledges will get a great big digital hug and personal thank you from Bishop Collective co-founders, PLUS you will receive an invitation to our official Spring launch event in New York City.
- $32 Pledges will receive the Bishop Collective candle, Tank or T-shirt in the colorway and size of your choice.
- $60 Pledges will receive TWO Tanks, T-shirts or a combination of, in the color and size of your choice.
- $125 Pledges will receive a T-shirt or Tank in the colorway of your choice PLUS Fashion Sketch A OR Fashion Sketch B in a 12" X 18" digital print. Each print is hand numbered and signed by the student artist who created it and inspired our lookbook styling.
- $300 Pledges A two-hour personal styling session at the Bishop Collective NYC offices working with you to build your American-made wardrobe. You will also have your photo taken to be used in one of our marketing pieces. Find your way to New York City for the day and we will take care of the rest!
- $500 Pledges will receive dinner and tickets for you and a guest to The Tents fashion show during Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. Cocktails and a styling session at the Bishop Collective NYC offices will be provided prior to the event. Find your way to New York City for the day and we will take care of the rest!
- $1000 Pledges will partake in an inspiration and planning day with Bishop Collective co-founders for the research and development of their next collection. Your valuable input will help us create amazing American-made goods to add to our repertoire. Find your way to New York City for the day and we will take care of the rest!
- $6500 Pledges will be joining us on a trip to North Carolina to visit our manufacturers and tour the Carolina Textiles District during the development of our collection. We will bring you from anywhere in the Continental U.S. to witness us redefine American made. We take care of your airfare and accommodations. We hope to have you join us!
We are looking to raise $16,000 to begin the production of our basics line. This includes all of the research, PR/marketing, travel and, of course, production. If we are able to triple our goal, we can begin work on a long sleeve shirt that will complement our basic T-shirt and Tank.
Our super stretch goal is $250K, providing us the ability to begin construction of our first storefront. If our backers are feeling really ambitious, we will use the mega-grant to launch the Bishop Collective men's division.
Launched in October 2013 and founded by two university fashion instructors, Mai Vu and Dimitri Koumbis, Bishop Collective offers American manufactured goods that eloquently combine fashion, art and lifestyle into an ecommerce platform. The company advocates for stronger corporate social responsibility among retailers, while bringing manufacturing back to the U.S. Bishop Collective is restructuring retail by redefining American made, giving their consumers fashion that is unique, tastefully designed and ethically produced.
Inspired by our classroom talks, Bishop Collective was founded in an effort to spearhead change in the retail industry. We are taking the burden off designers and putting it into the hands of retailers, where it truly belongs. To do this, we carefully curate American-made pieces from designers that pay close attention to details, product quality and are sustainably sourced.
We would like to take a moment to especially thank those that have helped us out during this process (and it wasn't easy!):
Nicole He, Jason Moore, Jennifer Moore, Kermit Mercado, Adel Brimhat, Delano Samuels, Fernando Ceballos, Evan Everhart, Ru Jing Liu, Audrey Wang, Suzanne Kennedy, Megan Mallow, the RePop Room, Scott French, Barbara Ragland, Kenny Ragland, Amanda Lovell
and Dave Moughalian.
A very special thanks to the students of Art Institute of New York City, LIM College and Kent State University for inspiring us and for continually challenging us to be better educators and industry professionals.
Risks and challenges
Upon the successful funding of our campaign, we promise to keep all of our backers updated via email with the progress of the manufacturing of our basics (tweaks in construction and/or fabrication, delivery dates, etc.) and will let you know immediately via email or telephone if any issues occur. Please know that our priority is quality manufactured goods as well as transparency in our system. Should you have any questions while you patiently wait, do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)