JUNE 2014 UPDATE
Watch the video and then read my update :)
Hey fellow Adventure Gamers,
Time for a backer update. Since the last public Stasis update, I've spent a portion of my time fine tuning the Stasis adventure game engine.
What does that mean?
Well, here is what some of these improvements include:
- The voice dialogue will now overlap the screens. In other words, you can chat over the radio and it will still play seamlessly between different areas.
- I've done a massive rework of the dialogue system itself, which will make language translation much more manageable.
- A large optimization of the way that John's feet stick to, or touch, the ground when he walks. This eliminates the gliding and sliding effect.
- There are now 16 directions of movement, instead of the previous 8, which makes everything smoother.
- WEBP conversion and image optimization - which means the entire game will only be 2 Gigs or less. The Alpha chapter was a Gig by itself!
- A better particle system for the dust, so we have different sized dust particles to give the scenes more depth.
I've also worked on several new areas that fall under the medical labs of the Groomlake.
Behold the insect queen...
I have ALMOST completed all of the new graphical areas of Stasis. Phew. I have spent four years working on the game and I am almost at the very end of the graphics journey.
I do, however, need to review an entire chapter of the game that I haven't touched since last year, BUT the design, puzzles and graphics are rendered for these areas already. Apart from this, there is only one more large set piece to design and create - the big finale - and then we'll be able to play through the entire game!
This could potentially open a whole new can of worms, but I'm confident that the flow of the game will work.
Meanwhile, Mark Morgan is working on the music and Christopher Dare is polishing up some creative writing and item descriptions.
I hope that by the end of July (realistically August...) I can start with an internal Alpha and then work out what polish and additional content needs to be added to make Stasis perfect.
To give you an idea of the areas that I have been working on, you can view a zoomed out mapping diagram.
We are now half way through 2014 and Stasis is on track.
I intend to have the Beta ready by the latter part of this year. Once we are done with the Beta, we'll be able to assess the final release. We hope to get Stasis out of the door by February 2015, at the latest (and depending on how many bugs the Beta testers find, possibly sooner).
August will be the last month for backers to upgrade their tiers to a physical tier or for new backers to get the backer shirts or a box set, as our final orders need to be placed.
You can still pledge here: http://www.stasisgame.com/pledge/
The backer survey will be sent out in the 4th quarter this year so you will be able to confirm your shipping address, size, etc.
If you haven't seen my re-imagining of Bioshock as an isometric, have a look here: http://imgur.com/GZioXy3
This image EXPLODED on Reddit and I made the front page with 800,000+ views of the image and 253 Gigs of bandwidth used!
Remember backers get more progress updates on the Stasis Community page.
Also, join our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/stasisgame
and follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/StasisGame