About this project
The tabletop role-playing campaign: where worlds collide.
This epic tabletop RPG campaign takes places in the mystical land of Orin Rakatha, a land ravaged by abhorrent creatures, warring nations and powerful magic. Where the only sanctuary can be found within magical sentient towers that the people band together to live within. To survive they must comply with the laws of the Mystics that rule the lands, overcome the ever-changing landscape and maintain enough wealth and power to retain the sanctuary of their tower; which protects them from the cleansing mists.
We are going to use Kickstarter to turn this storyline into an epic tabletop roleplaying game source book and campaign world. We've got all the base material ready, it's taken 27 years to create, but we need your help to edit, purchase digital art and arrange the typesetting so we can publish the books.
Where does it come from?
After playing, organising, crewing and writing in the same live roleplaying campaign world for 27 years we've run over 500 events amassing more than 15,000 hours of real-time story, plot, action and epic campaigns. It is a massive continuous story arc with over 1000 people involved in the play testing.
Although only a few of us are heading up the project we've got a team of over 20 writers to draw on for additional information, all of whom deserve maximum credit for its creation over the years, and we represent the live roleplaying companies Heroquest LARP (www.heroquest-larp.co.uk) and Herofest LARP (www.live-roleplaying.co.uk) where all this background material comes from and continues to reside (and the story is going on even now).
Why is it different?
What makes this campaign world unique is the long period of time taken to create it and the collaborative approach in its initial invention; creating a vibrant and in-depth story concept in which to undertake a fantasy roleplaying game campaign in a wide variety of existing rule systems.
Orin Rakatha is a world created out of real interaction between the referees, crew and players: the characters, stories, action and plot-lines have actually been played out, what we are putting to paper is an enormous collaborative work of living theatre that we feel will become a really exciting tabletop role-playing campaign game world.
Orin Rakatha itself is a unique world where diverse peoples, often refugees, conquering armies or nomads come to settle and the land itself, being semi-sentient, permits these diverse cultures to live in close proximity; thus creating a highly colourful social and physical landscape.
Adding to this, all the protagonists have been played out for real; the most hyper-playtesting ever for an RPG, therefore they've gained great depth and genuine background seen through the eyes of hundreds of players, making them come alive! The story lines have been through the same process and thus are varied and unique. All in all we hope this process will create a truly amazing in-game RPG experience.
We plan to make this a massive campaign and have hundreds of hours of storyline for modules and campaign guides for forthcoming releases and (we can dare to hope) stretch goals.
How will it fit in?
The campaign world will suit all systems; it’s system agnostic and written from a storytellers view, focusing on the plot, history, background, and nature of Orin Rakatha rather than majoring on stats (although stats will be included for Pathfinder and if we are successful other OGL systems such as D&D 3.5, D20 & Fate) so game-masters will be able to use it for any fantasy system
More art, better art!
All the current images are mock-ups of the final product, they are intended to show the look/feel not the quality of the final books (which will be way better than what we have been able to produce to date); our mission is very simple, to get fabulous professional artists involved in the production of the book, but we also respect that they don't work for free and our start up budget is very small, so the primary mission behind this Kickstarter is to fund great art to make the book look awesome: we've got the plot, story and background all nailed down already (as that's what we do best) but we need your support to pay for the art. And we plan to release as much as we can as we progress through the Kickstarter campaign!
More pledges mean the books will look and feel better! We hope that you can see a spark of something in what what we've shown you and also that we plan to spend as much of the budget as we can on new art so that the final product you get is amazing.
Kickstarter is to some extent about a leap of faith; if you are thinking of pledging but want to know more then just ask and come along on the journey to Orin Rakatha with us!
What's included in the Kickstarter?
1. Orin Rakatha: GM's Guide; 180+ pages of the history, background, inhabitants and denizens of the world. Game masters stat guides and tips on how to introduce a campaign in world of Orin Rakatha, Maps of specific areas and introductions to some of the major protagonists. Everything you need for your next tabletop RPG campaign world.
2. Fortunes Keep: 80+ pages of the players guide to tabletop roleplaying on Orin Rakatha, including story lines for incorporating classes, races, guilds, schools of magic and sects of power; guidelines for feats and what it is like living as an adventurer from the towers of the Kern Valley Alliance; the home of most players on Orin Rakatha and the entry point for adventurers travelling from other lands or worlds.
3. Burning Night: The Starter Module 20+ pages designed to introduce a tabletop roleplaying campaign in world of Orin Rakatha; including Maps, Stat guides and descriptive elements to allow the dungeon master the maximum flexibility.
Burning Night Synopsis: The Ikarthian people were wiped out upon Orin Rakatha decades ago, but their ritual-days are still celebrated, an upstart nobleman going to perform the Ritual of Ashes, is tragically killed in an honour duel and now the Shadowsfall, whom uphold the laws of Orin Rakatha for the Mystics, hold you responsible for completing this ancient rite - what will you do?
Backer Goals & Stretch Targets
Here are our Backer Goals:
- 0 - 50 backers - special mention in the books for the 1st 50 backers as an 'Ambassador of Orin Rakatha'. UNLOCKED
- 0-150 backers - previously released each of the first 150 backers gets a free extra A3 colour world map (designed by Alyssa Faden); either hard copy or as a PDF. UNLOCKED
- 175 backers - If we hit 175 backers we'll add 20 extra pages to the GM's Guide. UNLOCKED
- 200 backers - If we hit 200 backers we'll release the 1st campaign-length module 'The Shadow of the Ikarthians'. UNLOCKED
- 225 backers - If we hit 225 backers we will spend a further £1000 on Artwork's for the GM's and Players Guide Books.
- 250 backers - If we hit 250 backers everyone with a pledge level that requires posting will receive a specially branded Orin Rakatha RPG D6.
and the Stretch Targets:
- £15,000 - If our pledges reach this level we will add 20 extra pages to the GM's Guide. UNLOCKED
- £17,000 - If our pledges reach this level we will release the 2nd campaign-length module "Respect for the Dead'
- £19,000 - If our pledges reach this level everyone with a pledge level that requires posting will receive a 6 piece custom polyhedral dice set including a branded Orin Rakatha RPG D6
- £21,000 - To be announced
Add - Ons
Fortunes Keep Vanbraces = £35 (add £5 for shipping outside the UK)
Fortunes Keep Pauldrons = £35 (add £5 for shipping outside the UK)
Fortunes Keep Helmet = £65 (add £10 for shipping outside the UK)
Fortunes Keep Full Set = £130 (add £20 for shipping outside the UK)
A great blog from Geek Native: http://www.geeknative.com/44427/ogl-fantasy-world-epic-orin-rakatha/
A true story of David and Goliath from Campaign Mastery: http://www.campaignmastery.com/blog/kickstarted-creativity/
Ongoing support from Heropress: http://heropresstwo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/fleamarket-friday-bring-larp-to-your.html
A lovely mention from Bell of Lost Souls: http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net/orin-rakatha-rpg-sourcebook/
Some great insight from Dorkland: http://dorkland.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/orin-rakatha-rpg-kickstarter.html
The Low Down from Care and Feeding of Nerds: http://nerdycare.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/game-review-lowdown-on-orin-rakatha.html
A awesome video review from Jet Pack Joust (we hit around 2:48 in - and take a special look out for a 'young barbarian': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfjjEqzBZ2c
Great insight from farsight: http://farsightblogger.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/kickstart-orin-rakatha-rpg-fantasy.html
A fabulous update from UKRoleplaying http://ukroleplaying.com/one-ring/orin-rakatha.html
A new blog from Heropress: http://heropresstwo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/fleamarket-friday-help-she-devil-with.html
A catch up Q&A from Dorkland: http://dorkland.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/dorkland-interview-orin-rakatha.html
Mike 'Big dog' Penny – Mike started tabletop roleplaying at the age of 12 and has been a regular games-master ever since, he’s been running and writing live roleplaying adventures for over 20 years. He runs a project management company and is known for the boundless enthusiasm of a ‘big dog’.
Julian ‘Jewels’ Hicks - Julian is our Kickstarter king and brings a wealth of knowledge from the broader gaming world that we will use in the gameification of our stories to make it the best tabletop experience we can make it.
Mark ‘Brains’ Roberts - The grandfather of live roleplaying and aficionado of all things RPG, War-gamers, CCG's and gaming, Mark refereed at Peckforton Castle (the first live roleplaying venue in the UK) and has run more fantasy roleplaying games than most of us have had hot dinners.
Bruce ‘Major’ Duncan - Ex Army Major Bruce has been running roleplaying games under-fire since the 80's, when the 'fubar hits the rotating arm' you want him on your side. He will be making sure we hit targets and planning our venture with military precision.
Jon ‘There can be only’ Hicks - Jon started writing tabletop campaigns in 1980 and developed an active interest in live roleplaying ten years later both of which have been part of his life ever since. He has a background in theatre & film and now develops apps for a well-known tablet.
Paul 'Glam' Matthews - Paul is our web master and heads up the design team, he's been playing tabletop roleplaying games since he had short hair, which was a very long time ago and if we ever decide to produce an album he's our front man for sure.
What are we spending the money on?
We've spent a long time looking at what we should (or shouldn't) spend the Kickstarter funds on and all we can say is it's a difficult conundrum, whilst we'd love everyone to back us via the PDF option (which clearly improves our ability to fund art and design without other overheads) we are realistic about the fact that 'people want the books' so we are working on the basis of a largely print issue.
But if you can help us by supporting the digital release version we would greatly appreciate it; as greater support in the PDF pledge will allow us to max the Art & Design elements.
Link up with us and find out more
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/orinrakatharpg
Check out our website via http://www.orinrakatha-rpg.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/OrinRakathaRPG
Risks and challenges
We have an awesome story ready to roll for the first of the books and plot ready for any expansions (along with extra people to bolster our team should we be really successful) and lined up our art, graphic design and desktop publishing team and we are really looking forward to and are prepared for the challenge of publishing the books!
In setting realistic deadlines for both the digital and the printed media releases we will have plenty of time to overcome any issues along the way. And our team are seasoned event and project management professionals (Gaant charts R'us) so we plan to be on target.
And whilst we think our team and story are unique we have also secured support from seasoned RPG design, printing & publishing professionals whose work will be funded by this Kickstarter to ensure the end product meets your expectations.
Also we are a team and that helps a lot when it comes to getting things done, we have specific writing roles within the team but also functional tasks to undertake and most importantly one of us is in charge to make sure that decisions are made for the good of the project in a timely fashion.
We've thought through some of the major challenges and here's how we see our response;
1. Delay in editing / artwork - So we've already queued up most of our artwork and are working now to prime the rest, we've also got supporting editors lined up to ensure that we can meet (and hopefully beat) our plan
2. Printers let us down - Whilst we want to use particular print-on-demand suppliers from whom we already have prices it's a big market and we are confident that if demand is bigger than we expect or it seems they cannot deliver there are other suppliers that can fill the gap.
3. Stretch goals or over-subscription leads to delay - Now this is a problem that we might well 'like to have' but it is often a nail in the coffin for other kick-starters meeting their deadlines; our plan is two fold; firstly waiting to release stretch goals will allow us to mould them to suit the progress to date and we have a back-up team of editors, art workers and supporters ready to assist.
4. The unexpected - whilst you cannot plan for the un-expected (and don't believe anyone in risk management who tells you otherwise) by planning for the 'possible risks' you free up resource time to deal with the unexpected as it arrives.
5. What if we don't hit our target - we'll be sad but using Kickstarter means that we'll only suffer some minimum sunk costs and will be able to come back fighting, we aren't planning to fail (or failing to plan) we've been busy 'building our crowd' via Facebook, Twitter and blogging sites and 'fingers-crossed' have our maximum keen on for delivering the project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)