Been awhile since your last visit to our project? We've made LOTS of improvements, but not to worry! THIS handy update will catch you up on the best parts! *smiles* Yay!
At Bibelot Games, we love taking games to “the next level”. Better formats, better materials, better entertainment. With this project, we’re doing the same for playing cards! We’re discarding the plastic and paper, and making beautiful and luxurious playing card decks from real hardwoods. They're thin enough to shuffle, thick enough to cherish, and unique enough to know it's real wood!
Design and Function
While these cards are amazing and great for display and "flash", they are still real playing cards and are suitable for friendly card games, shuffling, house building, card tossing, and many other activities. They are also surprisingly durable!
You don't have to take our word for it! This handy video will walk you through what these cards can, and can't take!
Totally Scientific Abuse Testing Videos
Real World Impressions
"Sturdy, strong, yet still capable of being riffled. It's pretty impressive work. It's the kind of deck I'd enjoy taking out for casual games with friends or family, and I think they'd be perfect on camping trips! There's a very appealing sense of nature and the rustic to them. And who doesn't love the smell of fresh wood?" - Don Boyer / Magician
"Oh My God! These are the coolest things ever! I'm trying to figure out a way to effectively tell people about them... and it just doesn't translate. You need to hold them. And they shuffle surprisingly well!" - Kevin MacLeod / incompetech.com
"finely crafted" - Kevin Penn Williams / The Finest - A G.I. Joe Costume Club
"These cards FEEL amazing. It truly is unique. Everyone I showed the cards to was enthralled and wanted to touch and smell and bend them. It just has such a cool texture that's so unique and feels like nothing else." - Josh Romero / watchusplaygames.com
"Everything I've seen from Bibelot Games has been absolutely gorgeous, and these are no exception. They are absolutely stunning! I intend to use these cards next time I play Euchre with my friends." - Josh Edwards / boardgamereviewsbyjosh.com
"We know we don't have to back your Kickstarter projects; we just want to! :-) As we get more into Kickstarter, we are even more impressed with the way that [you] run your Kickstarter projects. Quality, beauty, innovation, customer contact = you do it all with dedication and thoughtfulness." - Kristen Durbin
Materials and Creation
Our Hardwood Playing Cards are created from super thin veneers which are built with 3 layers: Laser etched Okoumé hardwood for the fronts, your favorite hardwood for the backs, and an acrylic core to bond them together.
Each card measures 2.5" wide x 3.5" tall x 0.04" thick and showcases the natural beauty of real wood, imperfections and all - something you can't get from a printed "wood-grain" pattern! The card fronts are laser etched, adding depth and tactile bliss, while the backs are left blank to showcase the unique patterns, markings, and coloration of each card. A clear wood sealer is used to protect the finished cards, and they are treated with a lavender-enhanced mineral oil to create a truly luxurious sensory indulgence.
All of the decks in this project are limited editions. Each deck is individually numbered on the specialty ace. Numbering is based on backer number - meaning the earlier you back, the lower your number! Yay!
And, you can add custom text (one line, up to 20 characters) to your specialty ace as well, making your deck truly yours! Just add $5 to your pledge and we'll get the details in the backer survey at this project's completion! Your text will replace the "Yay!"s!
All decks (except for the vegan-friendly Tarot Deck) come with a real leather “tuck box” that is soft and supple. The cases are laser etched and feature visually appealing grommets, magnetic snaps, and a super handy belt-loop.
The Tarot Deck and all Card Deck Sets come in a laser etched box to provide a display-worthy vessel to store your hardwood playing cards.
And to top it off, every reward offered will be hand made by us, right here in the USA!
Card Themes & Deck Sizes
These luxurious hardwood cards come in 6 distinct themes and 4 different deck sizes (deck size = # of cards). Each card measures 2.5" wide x 3.5" tall x 0.04" thick. By doing our own manufacturing, one deck at a time, we can build any combination of theme and deck size so you can get the cards that are perfect for you!
The Six Themes Are:
- The Classic theme is just that, the classic suits and royalty you know and love!
- The Reliquary theme features artwork from the "Master of the Playing Cards" ca. 1430. The Reliquary Deck features German suits!
- The Midnight theme, with spooky suits, and campy monsters, is all about the lighter side of Halloween!
- The Piratical theme highlights charming rapscallions and buccaneers with nautical suits!
- The Outlaws theme uses thematic suits, and comically endearing gunslingers to bring the wild west to your card games!
- The Reindeer Games theme brings the joy of the holidays to your card table through adorable comic reindeer and themed suits!
The Four Deck Sizes Are:
- The Euchre deck consists of 25 cards: 9 - A in four suits, plus 1 joker. Use it to play Euchre, Sixty-Six, Thundee, Clabber, ...etc!
- The Piquet deck consists of 34 cards: 7 - A in four suits, plus 2 jokers. Use it to play Piquet, Sheepshead, Klabberjass, Septica, ...etc!
- The Pinochle deck consists of 50 cards: two each of 9 - A in four suits, plus 2 jokers. Use it to play Pinochle, Doppelkopf, Bezique, ...etc!
- The Standard deck consists of 54 cards: 2 - A in four suits, plus 2 jokers. Use it to play Poker, Rummy, Bridge, Cribbage, Canasta, ...etc!
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
We will also be building one more specialty themed deck of cards. While we can not combine this theme or deck size with any of the others listed above, we simply couldn't do a hardwood card project without including a tarot deck!
The Tarot Deck features the back-wood of your choice (shown with aromatic red cedar) and is presented with a muslin wrap in a laser-etched box!
- The Tarot Deck consists of 78 cards: 2 - A in four suits, plus one extra royalty per suit, plus 22 unsuited trump cards (major arcana). Use it to play Tarock, Scarto, Jeu de Tarot, ...etc!
UPGRADES & ADD-ONS:
Since this project launched, we've introduced some new ways to make your decks of cards even more original and custom!
- + $5 - Custom Text : you can add up to 20 characters of text to your specialty Ace (or Tarot Two). This applies to any deck size or theme! See more photos of this option at the bottom of this update!
- + $0 - $75 - You can changing the species of wood used for the card backs of your decks. Pricing depends on species and deck size. Details and pricing for upgrading your deck's wood can be found here!
- + $200 - Poker Set Upgrade: The Exotics - Create the perfect poker set for you and your poker group with this completely customizable upgrade! Pick your woods, denominations, and counts for all 250 chips in your set! See this update for the complete details! Yay!
Want something extra? No problem! Simply add the right amounts from the list below to your total pledge! We'll ask you for details about what you have chosen in the Backer Survey after the completion of this project!
- TWO CARD HAND +$5
- PAIR O' QUEENS EARRINGS + $5
- POCKET ACES KEY CHAIN + $7
- *NEW* BIBELOT'S HARDWOOD CONDITIONER + $8
- ROYAL FLUSH NECKLACE + $10
- * NEW * POKER CHIP SAMPLER +$12 ($24 total for The Exotics upgrade)
- * NEW * POKER GEAR + $18
- EUCHRE DECK + $30
- PIQUET DECK + $35
- PINOCHLE DECK + $45
- STANDARD DECK + $50
- TAROT DECK (W/ BOX) + $100
- *NEW* DUALITY SET + $222
New Add-Ons Unlocked!
How to Adjust Your Pledge
Okay, so you've decided what you want, but don't know how to let us know! *smiles* No problems. The backer surveys we send out at the end of the project will give you space to tell us exactly what you want! But first, your pledge amount has to reflect your choices. To adjust your pledge amount:
Achievement #1: A Free Break Card with EVERY deck! Yay!
Goal: 100 Backers! This was unlocked on 04.07.13! Wahoo! Yay!
This is a "test" card so you can really experiment with the bend, flexibility, and strength of these cards in a safe way!
Achievement #2: A Free Blank Card with Every deck! W00t!
Goal: 200 Facebook likes! This was unlocked on 04.19.13! Nice teamwork everyone! Yay!
This is an un-etched card that we will include for FREE with every single deck! Why a blank card? So that you can replace any card in your deck just in case one gets lost or damaged! Yay for safety nets!
Achievement #3: A Free Poker Chip Necklace! Yippee!
Goal: $25,000! This was unlocked on 05.01.13 - what an amazing push to make this happen just in time!
These specialty necklaces are _only_ available as an achievement, and only to specific reward tiers! They feature the poker chip faces you know and love, with a specialty back created just to celebrate your involvement in this project! Yay! So who's getting them? Let's take a peek:
- Maple Chip (1) = Reward Tiers 4 and 5 (Euchre and Piquet Decks)
- Ash Chip (5) = Reward Tiers 6 and 7 (Pinochle and Standard Decks)
- Oak Chip (10) = Reward Tier 8 and 9.5 (Tarot Deck and Duality Set)
- Cherry Chip (25) = Reward Tiers 9 and 10 (Themed Deck Set and Poker Set)
- Mahogany Chip (100) = Reward Tiers 11 and 12 (Collector's Set and Complete Theme Set)
- All FIVE Necklaces = Reward Tier 12.5 (Hardwood Aficionado Set)
With a project this big, it's hard to share everything all on one page! We've shared a lot of great info in these updates:
Risks and challenges
Like all Kickstarter projects, this one does have some risks. Thankfully, we get this nifty space to address the problems we could face and how we're prepared to handle them! Yay!
Some common issues that could affect us include: A Broken Supply Chain, Over-Success, Zombies, Malfunctioning Equipment, The Dogs Ate Our Homework, and A Complete Computer FUBAR Meltdown. (OMG, please do not say those last words aloud. *knock on wood* *throw salt over shoulder* *run computer-cleaning software* *make back-up drive* *kiss computer and praise excessively*)
So, how are WE qualified and prepared to handle these issues? For starters, this isn't our first Kickstarter project, so we do know what we're signing up for - the good and the bad! (In fact, we're rocking a satisfaction rate of over 90%! W00t!) And, we've learned much from our previous successes and mistakes. In addition, we've worked with our suppliers in the past, have contingencies in place for over-success, are ready for zombie plagues, keep our equipment well-maintained, don’t make crappy excuses, and regularly back-up all of our production files.
But, most importantly, we always post weekly updates during production (we're so fanatical about this that we even renamed Saturday "Updateday"!) This not only gives you insight into the creation and manufacturing process, but also gives all of us the ability to chart our progress and identify and discuss potential issues long before they explode into something catastrophic!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)