16-year-old Alice has gigantic feet. For as long as she can remember, the entire town has ridiculed her. Today, she is running away.
Sixteen-year old Alice lives in a very small town. All her life she has been ridiculed for having gigantic feet. That is not a metaphor, or a figure of speech. Her feet are huge. The whole town calls her ‘Alice 4-feet’.
Today, she is running away.
Arthur, the elderly station master, spends his days reading the discarded newspapers left behind by commuters. He is so fascinated by the lives of others, that he’s forgotten to live his own.
However, when Alice gets gigantic cold feet, it is Arthur that helps her realise it is not her feet that are too big for the town, it’s the town that’s too small for her feet.
'If Only Alice Could' is a short-film, directed by Krysten Resnick and produced by Ben Tabiner, as their graduation project from the Met Film School.
Krysten has recently finished shooting her first feature film, 'All Good Things', and has also been busy putting her last short film 'Benny and Jack's Flying Machine' through the festival circuit. You can find a trailer for 'Benny and Jack's Flying Machine' here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aH0YLuY4QQ
Also this year, Krysten has directed several music videos, including one for a girl band managed by Sintta, called Say No More, for their debut single 'Boyz'.
Krysten Resnick - Director:
Krysten is originally from California, but is currently finishing her studies at the Met Film School, based at Ealing Studios in London. She has worked on many different projects in various roles, but over the last year she has started to focus her attention onto directing. Under the guidance of industry professionals, she has recently directed short films, music videos, and just this summer, her first feature film. She is quickly making a name for herself as a filmmaker.
Ben Tabiner - Producer:
Ben was raised in Devon, where If Only Alice Could will be shot. He too is studying at the Met Film School and will soon be graduating. He has worked on various shoots, from feature films to music videos, as well as producing his own short films. He has worked with Krysten before, and they have a strong working relationship.
Brendan Harvey - Director of Photography:
Brendan is coming to the end of his studies in Film and Digital Cinematography at the Met Film School. He has been taught under the guidance of some great industry professionals, such as Robin Vidgeon BSC (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Hellraiser), Nic Morris BSC (Alien 3, Silent Witness) and Paul Wheeler (King Lear, Oklahoma!). Brendan has had a lot of experience on different sets over the past few years. Having worked well with Krysten before, Brendan shares the same aesthetic vision as Krysten for If Only Alice Could.
Jack Berk - Production Designer:
Jack is a working professional and has given his time to work on If Only Alice Could as the production designer,for free. Some of his credits include The Promise, True Love, It's Kevin and The Thick Of It. Jack has worked on nearly all of Krysten's previous films, and always brings great value to any production.
Robert Panners - Production Manager:
Robert is a Met Film School graduate. He has worked on many different films and has a lot of knowledge on production, including producing and directing his own films. Robert will be helping with the technicalities of planning and executing the shoot, he will be a great asset to the production.
Why we need your help!
Making films is an expensive business, and whilst our funding goal may seem like a lot of money, for the product that we will end up with, it's a fraction of what it would usually cost!
Some areas where we are cutting corners and saving on are:
- Crew - all working for free.
- Equipment - heavily discounted and negotiated rates, plus free equipment hire from the Met Film School for certain things.
- Locations - shooting in places that we can get for little or no money.
- Accommodation - most the crew will be London based, but will be accommodated at Ben's family home in Devon during the shoot.
- Facilities and Mentoring - we will be using the facilities at the Met Film School for free during pre-production, such as rooms for casting. We will also have help from great mentors at the school, who have all been in the same position as we are in now.
However, there are still certain things that just have to be paid for, and that is where we need your help! Some of the things we need help paying for are:
- Props and set dressing - the film will really only look great if we put money into buying and hiring props and spending money on dressing our sets. This really takes a film from looking 'studenty' to professional.
- Wardrobe - costumes will need to be hired/purchased, as there is a very precise tone to the film that needs to be catered for.
- Travel - at the very least we need to pay for all the crew to get to the locations in Devon, as they are working for free. As our crew will mostly be London based, we will need to hire a minibus to transport them all, as well as a van for the equipment.
- Catering - an army marches on its stomach. The cast and crew will need to be fed whilst they are working, and they will all work a lot faster and more happily when they are full of good food!
- Camera and Lighting - specialist kit will be hired in and used to create a high production value and to be able to achieve Krysten and Brendan's clear vision for the film. Every effort will be made to get the most amount of kit, for the least amount of money!
Stay In Touch
For more news on the project, and for regular updates, please like and share our Facebook page by clicking here!
Also, follow us on Twitter, you can access our page by clicking here!
...THANK YOU! Without generous people like you, people like us wouldn't be able to live the dream and tell the stories that excite us.
We are already overwhelmed by the amount of passion and interest that people are putting into this project, but we just need to overcome the financial hurdle before we can make a dream reality.
So please, give whatever you can, anything will be greatly appreciated! And if you can't give anything, no problem! Just spread the word about our film, it's all we ask!
The If Only Alice Could team.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
As with any project, there are of course risks.
These risks range from the shoot being mostly exterior and the weather being bad, to the equipment becoming faulty when in Devon.
We are reducing the chance of these risks happening by surrounding ourselves with great people who know exactly what they are doing and always having a contingency plan for every aspect of the shoot, from the schedule to the catering, if something goes wrong, there will always be a plan B.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.