Mysterious Space is a rogue-like horizontal shooter, originally created in 2014 for the 7DRL challenge. I've been working on it since - putting in one or two hours a day - adding content, of course (enemies, equipment, ships, tractor beams, folded space, outposts, snow, rain...), but also getting greenlit on Steam, working with DDRKirby(ISQ) to get amazing music for the game, and working with translators to make the game available in other languages!
There's so much more I'd like to add, though, and never enough time to do so!
If this Kickstarter does not succeed, I will keep my day job and continue to develop Mysterious Space as I always have been - 1-2 hours a day - donating profits from Steam sales to charity and non-profit organizations around the world.
If this Kickstarter does succeed, profits from Steam sales will continue to be donated to charities and non-profits, but I will use the Kickstarter funds to quit my day job and work on Mysterious Space full time (about 8 hours a day, five days a week), for a year, to do the following:
- Some live programming on Twitch (on a regular schedule, twice per week). I'd be happy to answer questions and take suggestions during that time :)
- Contract musicians to get more music in the game (there's already 13 tracks, but there's absolutely room for more!)
- Contract pixel artists to get professional pixel art in the game (there's some art I can do; there's some art I cannot >_>)
- Add full-screen bosses that adapt to your play-style (I've been learning some machine learning algorithms from developer friend El Chivo, and would love to put them to use in Mysterious Space!)
- Fulfill the backer rewards.
- Add a competitive/battle mode to the game.
- Add a mouse-only co-op mode to the game.
- Add more bonus stage types to the game (currently there's only one: "folded space").
- Continue to develop Mysterious Space as I have before - adding enemies and equipment, coming up with entirely new mechanics, etc - but much faster than I have ever been able to before.
At $75k, the project is funded, and Mysterious Space will receive a year of full-time development! Amazing! But if, somehow, this project makes more than that, I will definitely use it to make the game even better!
- $80k - alternate versions of the planet songs for the different planet subtypes. ex: gold forests could get a brighter version of the normal forest song, etc
- $90k - asynchronous online features, such as finding the wreckage of other player's ships on the planets that those players died on, or global/regional high score tables. I'm open to suggestions here: once we've got the server(s), many things become possible!
- $100k - ??? this would be beyond my wildest dreams. If the project somehow approaches this amount, I'll start thinking about more rewards! (In the meanwhile, shoot me some suggestions!)
Who Am I?
My name is Ben Hendel-Doying; I go by BenMakesGames online.
I've been making games since I learned to program on the Apple IIe in 5th grade, but my first notable game was probably PsyPets, a browser-based pet game which I started near the end of college. (When IE6 was still the browser of choice! Ugh!) It's still alive today - psypets.net - in the hands of another developer :)
I have also participated in a number of online challenges and competitions, and made a few other, smaller games that can be found online; check out benmakesgames.com for links and downloads.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for considering backing Mysterious Space! Making this game has been so much fun; I'm crazy-excited about the possibility of being able to work on it full-time!
Risks and challenges
I have not run a Kickstarter before, but I have backed a few, and fulfilling backer rewards in a timely fashion has always seemed like the riskiest part.
This is why I have chosen non-physical backer rewards for this project (programming is the thing-I-know), and set the delivery date to be one year in the future (June 2017). I'm confident that I can fulfill many of them within the first couple months, and I hope that I can fulfill all of them by June 2017; possibly even earlier.
Still, I have to be honest with myself: running a Kickstarter is new ground for me, and some unknown unknowns are bound to rear their ugly heads. Hopefully I have been cautious enough, and will be able to lop off those heads without delay :)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)