Beast's Fury is a 2D Fighting Game in development for PC, Mac, & Linux. With your support, it will eventually be released on Consoles. Read more
This project was successfully funded on June 19, 2014.
About this project
We currently have only 2 animators working in their spare time to finish the animation needed for two characters (Vincent & Don) to complete a solid and polished demo of the game. At the current rate, this would take upwards of 9 months to a YEAR to complete.
If we're successfully funded, we can hire on several new animators to the crew, and all animators will be able to dedicate FULL TIME to the project. This will shorten our estimated timespan of completion to 2-3 months!
We've been working hard on this game for almost a year now, and we're SO CLOSE to releasing a polished demo that we can present at game expos, conventions, and to publishing companies. All we need is your help!
TL;DR : More Money = Hire More Animators + Working Full Time = Faster turnaround/completion of the demo.
You can check out all of our progress videos, tests, and gameplay on our youtube channel:
Beast's Fury will be a 2D, arcade-style fighting game featuring anthropomorphic characters. It is currently being developed by a small, passionate team of individuals who are both gaming enthusiasts and professional programmers. The game will not only involve action, but also features engaging story lines, intriguing characters, exotic arenas, and a killer soundtrack! Inspired by famous 2D fighters such as the street fighter series and Skull Girls. If you have any burning questions about the project, drop us a line on our facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/beastsfurygame
Story Mode: Play a single character through regular matches, additional cut scenes, boss fights, and an ending sequence.
Arcade Mode: Play a team of characters through regular matches, boss fights, and an ending sequence.
Versus Mode: Test your skills in one-on-one combat mode against computer AI.
Local Mode: Challenge a friend to versus mode on one console. Online Mode: Versus mode using http://ggpo.net/.
Training Mode: Practice combos and set ups. Replay Feature: Watch your online matches.
The combo system will have a series of linked normal attacks that can end with a special move, sweeping attack, super move, launcher move or ultimate finish (Beast’s Fury’s version of Ultra Combos). Players can also perform air-attack / juggle combos that can end with a special move/ultimate finish. Juggling limits are also set individually for each character to keep them balanced and avoid over-powering. Players will have a series of attacks to choose from to make their combos. Everything from Crumples (moves that force opponents to stagger to their knees), to Wall and Ground bounces. Using a mixture of the Linked Combos (Normal moves that are strung together with the right timing) The special moves (Unique to the character) and the Juggle Combos (Moves that are strung together in the air), the player will try to lower the opponent’s life bar to zero the fastest. Or, in some cases, lower it enough that they can sit easy on a life lead.
- Combo Links and Attack Strings; this allows for players to put different attacks together to form devastating combos and counter-attacks, allowing players maximize damage against their opponents. This is a staple of Fighting Games however, so its nothing a seasoned fighting game veteran won't be unfamiliar with.
- Dynamic Wall and Ceiling Combos; Beast's Fury uses a different approach to combos in the corner and at midscreen, in making it so that characters can use dynamic elements of the wall (Where they hit the wall and how hard) as well as if they're launched against the ceiling of a stage, and changing where/how they hit the ground. This changes the typical juggling system in that it makes players reconsider their combo choices depending on the stage.
- Unique Mechanics Per Character; All of the characters in the game have unique abilities and game mechnics that set them apart. Though they follow the simple scheme of 'get the opponent to 0 life', all of them carry unique abilities that allow them to turn the tide of battle. Some prime examples being Vincent's ability to spend Meter in order to cancel his special moves into other special moves, or Don's ability to combo into EX Command Throws.
- Adrenaline and Fury; Characters in Beast's Fury have the ability to store up energy for a Final Round push, giving them a game-ending boost where their natural abilities and unique game mechanics get boosts that make characters' much more powerful for a limited time. The stored energy is Adrenaline, and once per game, characters spend their adrenaline to go into Fury. However, they run out of Adrenaline to fuel their Fury gauge, their character powers down, losing their game changing mechanics and occasionally losing other skills as well.
- Ultimate Finisher; Similar to Instant Kill Attacks in other games, the Ultimate Finisher is a move that is only available in the final round of any normal game. When a player activates their Fury, they have a limited amount of time to land a certain amount of hits on their opponent. If they succeed in landing the required amount, a cinematic finisher plays, and the opponent is instantly defeated, regardless of their remaining health.
Project Lead / Owner: Ryhan is an avid gamer, and trained martial artist. He is the creator of Beast's Fury, and is fully dedicated to making his dream game a reality. He has been investing his life and finances into this project for over a year, and has been studying all the details related to the intricate programming, design, and skill that it takes to make a video game.
2D Artist: Carlos Enrique is a professional illustrator with a vast portfolio of work and numerous clients worldwide. He specializes in heroic fantasy illustrations, comics and educational illustration for school textbooks. He was a long-standing active member of the staff of Illustrators for the trading card game "Myths and Legends", Salo S.A. company.
Lead Animator: Ben Halstead is currently based in the greater LA area, he's a traditionally-trained animator with 4 years of experience working both as a freelancer and in various studios. His projects range from online 3D game environments to hand-drawn feature films.
Patrick Stannard is a classically trained animator with experience working in both commercial and the video game industry. His latest work on Stoic's "The Banner Saga" included not only cutscene but in game combat animations as well. His previous work on Beast's fury was animating the character Don, and he looks forward to working on many more characters in the roster. Check out his work: http://vimeo.com/user2398400/videos
Cleanup/Colors/Shading: Rafael Llerena (A.K.A. Sorcerer Lance), is an aspiring comic artist/animator. Partly trained in art college and partly self-taught, he continues to learn by contributing in collaborations and improving his craft while developing his own independent projects in his spare time. http://sorcererlance.deviantart.com/
NEW Animation & Cleanup Team:
Phillip Joseph 2D Clean-up Artist: (aka Koru Xypress) is a professional 2D Animator and Digital Illustrator. He specializes in fantasy themes and his portfolio includes various projects from character illustrations, concept arts, storyboards, book covers, to logo designs. On the internet, he is known as the artist behind Xypress Illustrations. http://koru-xypress.deviantart.com/
Ricky Bryant worked on Skullgirls and Children of Liberty as an artist and animator. He'll be the middle man between the animators and the game designers, cleaning and prepping animation frames so that the are ready for color and implementation into the game.
Kenny Chen is a freelance comic artist, avid fighting gamer and martial arts geek who has previously worked on a few personal game mods, as well as done animation cleanup for a couple of old Gameboy titles. He will be doing some cleanup and other legwork for Beast's Fury.
Rukiya Hassan is an animator for Beast's Fury, a lover of video games and trained in White Tiger Shaolin Kung Fu. She dedicated much of her time to study and learn the art of animation after longing to bring characters to life. She has been investing her time with Beast's Fury as a clean-up animator for a few of the character Vincent's movesets. She is going to continue working with Beat's Fury as a clean-up animator to help finish the animation of all the characters in this game.
Programming: Marco Arsenault aka Evil-Dog is the programmer. He has worked at Ubisoft Montreal for 5 years as a gameplay/AI programmer on Rainbow Six Vegas, Farcry 2 and Avatar: The Game. Since 2004, he has been making indie games such as the award winning "Road of the Dead" as well as the somewhat popular music game series, "Punk-o-matic". He has been running his own company, Evil-Dog Productions, for over 2 years.
Music / SFX: Zach Striefel is the Lead Sound Designer at Symphony of Specters. He has worked on projects with many notable companies such as Disney, Coca-Cola, Adult Swim, GSN, WB, NBC Global, as well as many Indie studios
Voice Actor / Writer / Editor: Poesy Rosewood is the writer for Beasts fury. She has done work as a ghost writer while working on several independent stories. Poesy has been an active member in developing the story, character designs, and concepts; including providing the voice for Odette.
UI Designer/Programmer: Adam Wan is the lead UI designer and developer for Beast's Fury. He's worked in the fields of desktop publishing, web design, and various disciplines of programming for the past decade. Adam currently resides in the Orange County of California where he works as an applications developer.
Creative Design Lead: Andrew Fein (Known Professionally as 40%FlashKick) breathes life into the characters and designs how they function within the game, and how the character balancing works. He's been playing professionally since 2009, and has since supported the FGC ever since. His fields of expertise is with dynamic combat systems.
Voice director: Danielle McRae is a voice actress residing in Los Angeles, California. Some of her most notable credits have been in League of Legends as Karma the Enlightened One, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm as Hagara the Stormbinder, Dragon Nest as Sidel, SkullGirls as Painwheel a New Conglomerate Solider in Planetside 2, Jada in Battle High 2, and most recently, you can hear her in the video game "Starcraft Universe: Chronicles of Fate: as the Adjutent and Captain Arley Sims.
Risks and challenges
The only issues we would face from this point on if we got funded is making sure we optimize all of our time. The last thing we need is to spend useless amounts of time wondering if we should go with Plan A or B. Keeping ourselves on a solid path the entire way through the project is paramount, as every moment we spend keeping actual work from being done is a moment we rob our fans of a completed project. However, we work with a lot of talented people who treat this project with passion, and not a baseless cash grab in an effort to just make money on a pop culture boom. Everyone on this project has the motivation and drive to make sure that the game becomes its absolute best, and will be supported and socially promoted to its best even after we finish the final product, and not just a demonstration.
Aside from that, our only real issue would time constraints so we can get the game out to the general populace in time for major events. Again though, with dedicated support from our friends, loved ones, and fans, we'll continue to push through to get this work done as soon as we can.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
To put it simply, we approximated our funding for animations incorrectly and unfortunately wound up spending most of our money on one character's animations after both re-timings and revisions. Vincent was initially animated at 24 Frames Per Second instead of the the 30 Frames Per Second that we decided we wanted for the game (The game is set to run at 60 FPS). Remaining funds were spent on Don's rough animations, five thousand dollars were spent there, as well as money being used to pay Indiegogo Fees as well as paying the clean up, shading, and other animators who were working on Vincent.
We MAJORLY undercut the animation costs by mistake due to being an amateur game making studio. And for this, we apologize to all of the fans.
However, with THIS campaign, we've completely recalculated everything based on the rate of how fast our animators work, and what is fair and livable wages for our animators to work full time.
YES! Everyone who contributed to the previous IGG campaign will get the reward the contributed for. All physical rewards were shipped out to the addresses specified by the contributors after the end of that campaign (shirts and posters). If you didn't receive one, you can try to get in contact with your local post office or postal service to see if they somehow kept your package in backstock all this time. But, it's highly doubtful that they still have it, and we unfortunately can't do anything about your package being lost in transit since that would be the responsibility of the mail carrier.
Right now we're using Unity. But, since we may change programmers, that engine may change as well later on down the line.
We originally had 18 characters, but we have added a few and may take out some based on our fans feedback! Again we're in the early stages of development, so anything can happen (Like BENNY!)
Pledge $5 or more
- ROOKIE -
Thanks from the team! + "Rookie" Title in contributor credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
100 backers All gone!
- ASSASSIN - Limited to 100 backers!
Copy of Beast's Fury DEMO + “ASSASSIN” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or more
- FIERCE -
Copy of Beast's Fury DEMO + “Fierce” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or more
- UNLEASHED -
Exclusive wallpaper pack + “Unleashed” title in the Contributors Credits + All previous rewardsEstimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
- KILLER - Digital copy of the Beast’s Fury OST + “KILLER" title in the Contributors Credits + All awards above.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $30 or more
- BEASTLY -
Everything above, plus: Exclusive PC beta access. “Beastly” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $35 or more
100 backers All gone!
- HUNTER - Limited to 100 backers! Digital Copy of Beast's Fury Full Game PC, MAC, LINUX when released (18 characters and stages ) + “Hunter” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $45 or more
- FURIOUS - PC MAC or Linux Digital copy of Beast's Fury FULL GAME (18 characters and stages) When released plus everything above “Furious” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
26 backers Limited (74 left of 100)
ANNIHILATOR - Limited to 100 backers! Beast's Fury Character T Shirt Plus Everything from the from the previous tiers “Annihilator” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $60 or more
- PROWLER - Digital line Art Piece from Patrick Stannard (lorddirk) and everything above. “Prowler” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $90 or more
- CRUSHER -
Everything above, plus:, Digital Sketch Art piece from our 2D Lead Artist Chaos Draco, All of three exclusive steam trading cards, “Crusher” title in the Contributors CreditsEstimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
- FURY -
Everything above + a Beasts Fury Voice mail from one of the voice actors! “Fury” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or more
4 backers Limited (21 left of 25)
- OMEGA - Get an invitation to a live Skype group chat with some of the voice actors! “Omega” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or more
8 backers Limited (8 left of 16)
- SAVAGE - Everything from the $150 reward tier, plus you'll be able to customize your very own color scheme for a character of your choice that can be selected in the finished game. “Savage” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or more
10 backers Limited (20 left of 30)
- VICIOUS - Everything from the $200, reward tier plus your very own 9 inch Don Plushie designed by http://gannmemorials.com “Vicious ” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $600 or more
10 backers All gone!
-ALPHA- Everything from the $200, reward tier plus your very own animated background character designed by you “Alpha” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,200 or more
4 backers Limited (4 left of 8)
- PREDATOR - Beast's Fury Fight stick Everything from the $200 reward tier, plus a custom fight stick designed by the Beast's Fury Studio Team. “Predator” title in the Contributors Credits.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
- (30 days)