THE SONG THAT STARTED IT ALL: “AN EPISODE”
This is a special version of “An Episode” that appears only on Double Mono, a limited edition record where the right and left channel play separate sounds. Double Mono is available as part of one pledge level and contains music from Palaxy Tracks, John Saba Jr., Devin Maxwell, !!!, Jim Eno of SPOON, The Octopus Project, AU, and Erin Flannery & Zach Layton. An updated version of this song will appear on Wilderness.
THE BACK STORY
In 2006 I decided to end my 5 year stint in Chicago and return home to Austin, TX, to join The Octopus Project. This would inevitably mean the end of my band Palaxy Tracks as I had known it for the last 10 years, but I needed a big shake-up. The week before leaving Chicago I wrote and recorded demos for 4 songs. I wasn't sure what I would do with the songs, or if they would ever become part of a larger collection, but I knew I needed to get them to tape quickly or they would drift off into the ether. Little did I know they would represent the last bits of music I would write for a span of eight years.
Many years later in 2013, I was asked by my good friend Phillip Niemeyer to record a song for a compilation called Double Mono. For my submission I would record “An Episode,” one of the 4 songs from my 2006 demos. So I flew back to Chicago, reconnected with my old trusty engineer/producer pal Ted Cho, and gathered a few fellow musicians I'd shared the stage with over the years that could help bring the song to life. We booked three days in the studio in hopes that it would be enough time to get a great take, plus leave us time to fiddle with one or two of these other songs. I ended up extending the session by a day and coming home with 6 completed songs and a resurrected desire to Make. More. Music.
Over the next few months I wrote like a madman, frequently sending new demos and collaborating with my friends in Chicago via Basecamp. I was truly inspired and excited for the first time in years, and the ideas were coming in spades. Before I knew it I was back in Chicago for a 4-day weekend with the same group of talented folks recording more songs and having the time of my life.
What has resulted is what I feel to be the strongest collection of songs I've ever released to the world. I am so incredibly proud of what it's become, and the work we've put into it. It wouldn't have come this far without the support of my super-talented group of friends, and it won't be completed without help from you.
We ended up with more songs than we need for the record — around 6–7 more — so I'll be offering those songs here in a few different pledge levels, exclusively to backers. I'm also having exclusive shirts and posters made for this campaign.
QUESTIONS? GET IN TOUCH:
Email — Use the “Contact Me” link at the top right under my photo, or email me directly: email@example.com
Twitter — @palaxytracks
- Special Edition Vinyl Release! Beautiful 12" full-color gatefold 180 gram LP designed by Scott Meola. Backers get their copies weeks before they're made available elsewhere. International shipping, too!
- Early Digital Download! Backers get their digital download codes as soon as the record is mastered and uploaded. The downloads will include high-quality FLAC and WAV audio files, the art for the record (in PDF format) and a lyric sheet.
- Extra Songs! 18 songs were recorded for Wilderness but only 12 made the cut. Backers of certain pledge levels will receive and extra download code for some of the songs that were cut from the record.
- T-shirts! I'm having lots of new t-shirts designed by some of my favorite artists: Tuesday Bassen, Phillip Niemeyer, and Keith Davis Young. Any packages that include t-shirts mean that you can pick the design/color!
- Early Access to Music Videos! There are currently three different music videos being produced. Backers of ALL pledge levels will gain early access to these videos via a special password and link.
- Missing something? If there is a perk you'd love to see included? Some old piece of Palaxy Tracks ephemera? Please feel free to get in touch! You can use the FAQ at the bottom, or the “Contact Me” link at the top right.
WHAT THE FUNDS WILL BE USED FOR
All songs are currently recorded and ready to be mixed. KickStarter proceeds will go directly to:
- Wall 2 Wall, the studio we’re mixing in;
- The mixing engineer, Ted Cho;
- The mastering studio (Chicago Mastering) and mastering engineer (Jason Ward);
- Designer Scott Meola.
- KickStarter (and related) expenses.
Peek-A-Boo Records will cover the costs of production for the vinyl and record sleeves.
I'm having lots of new t-shirts designed by some of my favorite artists: Tuesday Bassen, Phillip Niemeyer, and Keith Davis Young. Any packages that include t-shirts mean that you can pick the design/color!
T-SHIRT A, designed by Keith Davis Young:
T-SHIRT B, designed by Keith Davis Young:
T-SHIRT C, designed by Phillip Niemeyer:
T-SHIRT D, designed by Phillip Niemeyer:
T-SHIRT E, designed by Tuesday Bassen:
I currently have three amazing music videos in the works, two animated and one live-action.
1. “An Episode,” by Stephen McNally.
2. “Pareidolia,” by Phillip Niemeyer
3. “Weird Weather,” by Iain Acton
Risks and challenges
— When having vinyl produced it's not at all uncommon to experience delays. There aren't a lot of production houses left and vinyl is experiencing an uptick in popularity, so they're understandably often overwhelmed. I will keep everyone updated with timing, but expect no initial delays.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)