About this project
About the Project:
House of Oddities: The Story of The Atrocity Exhibition is a feature length documentary detailing the behind the scenes madness that goes into creating Pittsburgh's annual underground celebration of the weird and bizarre, The Atrocity Exhibition; now in its 5th year.
The Atrocity Exhibition brings is truly a 360 degree artist collective bringing together the best in dark burlesque, cabaret, performance art, and fine art from across the nation. Each year is a themed show in which on stage performers fuse their own talents with the theme to create a truly unique show.
This film goes behind the makeup and costumes to expose the behind the scene workings of the event. This includes interviews with Macabre Noir and Dr. Morose, founders of The Atrocity Exhibition, members of Kabarett Vulgare; a pittsburgh based side show and performance art troupe that represents the core performers of The Atrocity Exhibition, traveling performers that bring their own unique gifts to the show, and the collection of dark artists that make up this immersive art collective.
What we need your help for:
Currently, the film has been mostly shot and is now in the process of being edited with an anticipated release date of October 5th, 2013 at The Hollywood Theater in Dormont, PA.
One of the most over looked aspects of film production has to do with the promotion and distribution of the film. While we know we have an excellent story and want to share it with the world, we know that costs can pile up. So the goal is to raise funds so that we can get this film in as many markets and hands as possible. Your donation goes directly into funding the following:
- Professional DVD printing- This is our physical approach to getting the film out. While some films are purely available online, we know that there are some people who prefer to have an in their hands DVD. So we are pulling out all the stops in creating a beautiful, full color disc and wrap around with a dvd insert. These will not be lightscribe or traditional DVD-Rs, these will be professionally made to order.
- Online Film Distribution - Online film distribution is the way of the future. We plan on making this film equally available to purchase/rent on online venues such as amazon.com and itunes.
- Film Festival Submissions - Film festivals are one of the gateways in getting the film out to a broader audience. While we would love to submit this film in as many film festivals as possible, the number of festivals we do submit to is dependent on how much we receive from fundraising. The associated costs of submission fees and press kit materials dictate how many we can submit to. Right now we have narrowed down to two: The SXSW Film Festival and The Coney Island Film Festival.
- Marketing Materials- Posters, flyers, web hosting fees, advertisements both print, online and social media, promotional materials- all are necessary to ensure that this film reaches the biggest audience possible.
- Theatrical Screenings - There really is nothing like having a film screened in a real theater. This promotion factors in the cost of our premiere, however we would love to find more venues to screen this film in Pittsburgh and around the country.
Independent film is a tough nut to crack without the proper resources. But we believe in our project and this story. We know that we have something here that is unique. With your help, we can let the world know about this collection of macabre artists and performers that otherwise would be unknown.
Visit us on facebook
Stills from the film:
Risks and challenges
As far as setbacks go, fortunately, we have already done majority of the work as the film has been shot and is in the editing process. However, one of the major challenges we may face is just in getting the film out there. Distribution is one of the toughest tasks in independent filmmaking. That being said, we feel that attacking this task by looking at physical dvd sales, online distribution, film festival submissions, and theatrical rentals is the right way to go to make sure that we have an audience for our finished film.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)