by Battlegrounds Games, LLC
For the record, my laptop has 8 GB of 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM.
I've been in communication with the programmer who ported the image processing library that I'm using, and he's given me some tips that I'll be incorporating in the next release that will hopefully speed everything up for everyone. The kind of lag that some of you are describing is unacceptable.
But I still don't understand why it isn't happening for me. My computer is not magical, and while it's no slouch, it's also not the latest and greatest. It's a laptop (MacBook Pro) from 2015. I think I will make a screencapture video to show the performance I'm getting, and you all SHOULD be getting.
I am getting some crazy lag on 1.3, I am using Kings Road and trying to make a road setting for an encounter, I can put down maybe 10 tiles, but 11 makes it take 20-30 seconds between putting any down. It feels like I click to lay down the tile, then it takes a long time, then is responsive again until I put a tile down. I just put one down that overlapped the side, and it took a 23 count for it to cut off the overlap and let me put the next one down.
I have Windows 10, 64 bit, RAM usage is 64%, CPU 3% so not stressed system at all.
My RAM is G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3, couldn't tell you the MHz, been a bit too long since I built this computer.
To be fair, I *was* getting up to a 10 second delay selecting items after I'd put ~20-25 tiles down, so 2-5 seconds is an improvement.
I just did a little test. I'm working on a map, I have maybe 20 tiles down currently. When I clicked to select a tile, from the instant i clicked until it was outlined in red and a usable selection, was ~5s. Manipulating from that point is a lot faster than it used to be.
If you think RAM speed is making a difference, here is mine for comparison:
Corsair Vengeance LPX DD4 running @ 3000MHz
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a look at the mis-scaling issue and the "pixels per cell" setting that seems a likely culprit.
I'm concerned about 2-5 second delays, though. It's more like half a second on my 3 year old computer, and I'm pretty sure that's the case in both the Mac and Windows versions. Wonder if it's related to RAM speed.
@David I just did a full fresh install on my SSD to try to get some squeeze enough speed out of the process so I could use MapForge, and found the scaling issue's much better now, so I'll chalk that up to a user error and apologize for it. Thins did disappear behind the tile layer though.
Moving it to my SSD did speed it up though so that was a net positive, and yes, moving things around is certainly faster, so it's going in the right direction.
@PA - I have found that to occur as well, but as you mentioned it had been related to the pixels per cell, and setting that equal to the map value fixed it. I don't know that I've noticed it blowing up items and not changing that value, but I bet typing in the map value again and applying would fix it. Not that this should occur, but hopefully it is not too hard to fix.
I also have the same experience with the new selection, it doesn't really seem faster, and the item disappears a bit. However moving a tile around the map does seem faster, so that is a plus in my book.
Never mind, that's not it. Anyway. The Scale tool on the Edit interface doesn't work correctly. Reproduce by this method: Set map to 50 resolution, lay down an Item from Hamlets - Outskirts, double click the item, slide Scale adjustment down, and click done; it will be smaller than it should be.
Alternatively, start with a map at 50 resolution, using Jade Halls, add an item, double click it, slide the Scale down, click done, The item will be enormous.
Alternatively, don''t change the resolution at all, stay at 200 default from a fresh start of Map Forge, use Kepli's Trees, place a tree, double click, scale it, click done, and the tree will double in size.
The new manipulation tools while an item is selected are nice.
My experience with selecting items, though, is that it's simply different, rather than faster. I can see the program is doing something when I click on an item while it takes 2-5 seconds to process the command, rendering a tile invisible and then visible again when the selection is complete. It's still extremely slow for me.
Double clicking to edit an item is faster though. It still has an issue where resizing an item through the Edit interface ends up altering it far more than it should. I suspect it's got something to do with the "Pixels per Cell" field defaulting to something the map *isn't*, which is not behavior the end-user should have to deal with. If they don't touch the Pixel to Cell field, it shouldn't change on its own.
I've only used 1.0.3 a little bit so far, but I can say that not only do the multi-part add-ons load, they actually work now :) So thanks for that.
I don't have a 4K display, but I'll let you know if the UI draws properly on my 1080p screen (which it has consistently not been doing).
Great to hear, Robert. I was starting to get worried that I'd never get it to work. It turns out the problem was with a closed-source module that I'd incorporated into MapForge to handle layer management and stacking order. I stripped it out and rolled my own code and UI for that task.
Yea! Successful load of 1.0.3 on a 27" iMac with High Sierra 10.13.4! I'll play around with content and get my license key tomorrow. Very happy to see the program fully launch.
I'm curious to hear back if the UI redraws properly now on ultra-wide displays (4-5K pixels).
Excellent. Things seem go a lot smoother for development.