"How To Kill A Spider" is an easy to learn, fast paced, trick-taking style card game with a dark and hilarious twist.
We were inspired to make a game we could play with our friends and family, having easy-to-learn familiar mechanics, but with a twist! How To Kill A Spider fits in the traditional genre of games such as Spades and Hearts, with a bit of flavor from games like Fluxx and Munchkin.
What we came up with is a complete top-down design using artwork by former Disney artist Brett Brooks, while introducing wacky new rules and friendship ending modifiers by game designer Phil Chalker.
With the foundation laid, Brett set out to adapt and create 100+ unique illustrations and quotes from his How To Kill A Spider book series, and Phil topped it off with cards that introduce depth and variance to the game play.
Together, we feel that we created a game that gamers and non-gamers alike will love for years to come.
- Playmat art revealed!
- STRETCH GOALS - With every pledge milestone, another reward is revealed for you guys!
- ADD-ONS - Looking to stock your web with more tasty treats? Just amend your pledge amount and let us know what you'd like to be included in your package once everything ships! We'll be sending surveys out to confirm your custom order once the campaign ends. International shipping fees apply. (Add-on descriptions at bottom of page)
- WEAVE YOUR OWN DESIGN - If you want to take things further we've left a few slots open for you to help design a kill card or have your likeness immortalized (or smashed) in the final print version of the game!
Players are dealt 8 card hands. The first player to go will explore the house, revealing your enemy by turning a spider face up from the spider deck. Once the nasty foe reveals himself, you get to draw a card from a very practical selection of household weaponry in the items deck.
Play then proceeds around the table where everyone gets a chance to assign the best weapon card for the job!
Spiders and Kill Cards are suited and ranked by their threat level, or lack thereof.
When assigning weapon cards you must follow suit if you can. A spider that needs to be smashed is too quick for a predator, and a spider who can only be killed with fire will laugh in your face at your feeble attempts with a flip-flop fail!
What if you just burn the house down? Ok fine, you win. Our trump suit is designed with cards that can only be topped by playing higher ranking cards from that same suit.
But there is no time to relax... after you've played your best card for the job, players get a chance to upgrade their weapons or sabotage others! Some cards cause you to discard, change the value of your weapon, or even change the suit entirely. In How To Kill A Spider you are in a battle to be the best spider slayer, even if that means ruining your friends' strategy.
Here is a turn breakdown for the game.
- Player 1 shuffles and deals 8 cards to each player from the Items Deck.
- Player 1 draws a Weapon Card from the Items Deck
- Reveal the spider for the turn from the Spider Deck and perform any instructions on that card. (evil laugh)
- Player 1 plays their weapon card, following suit if possible and other players do the same in clockwise order.
- Player 1 then has a chance to modify their weapon or sabotage others, but each time a player plays a modifier card the remaining players get a chance to respond or pass.
- The highest ranked, and best suited card for the job wins the point and receives the spider card and all other weapon cards played as their style points (which are used for tie breakers). If no one can beat the spider, it moves in your house and scores a point for the spiders! (Yes you can all lose to the spider deck...mwahaha!)
- The next player draws a weapon card, reveals a spider, and play proceeds until all players are out of weapon cards. Be safe out there!
The player with the most spider kills wins! In the event of a tie count up the amount of weapon cards used on your spider points and compare values for tie breakers! For Extended play, simply re-shuffle the weapons deck, re-deal and play until your house is completely purged of the enemy! (When the spider deck is empty)
Our number one aim is to present the most engaging stories we can, whether that be through a card game, children's book, or comic book! And though eradicating arachnids was our first foray into gaming, the roots of our company began in sequential story telling! Check out our premiere comic titles, Dust Bunny and Deuces Wild below!
Dust Bunny is the story of a law-enforcing rabbit and his partner Mite.
Sweeping the streets of Basement City for answers regarding a high standing figurehead's murder, Dust embarks on an investigation full of twists, turns, and eccentric characters.
But following the killer's tracks proves to be a dangerous path, as what begins as a black-and-white case quickly escalates into a conspiracy more threatening than anything Basement City has ever seen...
Dust Bunny was funded through Kickstarter in 2011. You can view the campaign here!
To find out more about Dust Bunny and other Dust Bunny products, please visit www.basementcityproductions.com
Deuces Wild is the story of Captain Fara and her crew of mercenary bounty hunters as they are recruited by an intergalactic magistrate known as the Deck to hunt down and flip one of the most dangerous sub-card assassins in the House Sector.
Deuces Wild was funded through Kickstarter in 2015 as a graphic novel and is currently still in production. You can view the campaign here!
To find out more about Deuces Wild and other Deuces Wild products, please visit www.basementcityproductions.com
Big Company Quality, Independent Flavor.
We have developed an awesome working relationship with our printer "Print Ninja" and you can rest assured about the quality of our products!
Risks and challenges
While every project can face some potential obstacles, know that Basement City Productions is a result of Brett Brooks and Phil Chalker's ultimate professional goal to create a household brand of comics, games and childrens books.
Even though this is BCP's first project together they have 4 successfully funded kickstarter campaigns.
Brett has participated in dozens of creative projects as artist and art director.
Phil is the owner of 2 successful friendly local game stores called Fanatix in Dothan and Enterprise, Alabama.
We have done the legwork and research, printers are standing by, we just need you, the backer, to help push this over the finish line of production.
Thank you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (39 days)