Christ In The Wilderness Promotional Video & Concert
Christ In The Wilderness Promotional Video & Concert
A promotional video and a summer fundraiser concert for the non-profit Christ In The Wilderness Retreat in Stockton, IL
A promotional video and a summer fundraiser concert for the non-profit Christ In The Wilderness Retreat in Stockton, IL Read more
About this project
These coyote sounds were recorded by me at Christ In The Wilderness Retreat in Stockton, IL. on a warm summer evening as the sun was setting behind the hill beyond the ravine. The song, following the coyote calls, was also written and recorded by me in 2001 after a tour and a visit to Christ In The Wilderness. I hope you like it.
Christ in the Wilderness (CITW) is a hermitage retreat center located west of Chicago near Stockton, Illinois among the beautiful, rolling hills of the Mississippi Valley. They welcome individuals regardless of their backgrounds or religious orientations, to spend time alone in a secluded natural field and forest environment, nourishing their minds, bodies and spirits. It is a place I go to when I need quiet time away to focus on songwriting. There are no trains nearby, no airplane noise overhead, and no busy streets (only a quiet rarely traveled country farm gravel road) and no cellphone towers. It is the ultimate place for solitude and getting back to nature. Thousands of birds, wild deer, pheasants, turkeys, coyotes and more. You can read more about them at their website Christ In The Wilderness.
Sr. Julia is the Director of CITW and oversees the property, the retreat's online presence, raising funds for the maintenance of the property, taking visitor reservations, keeping the hermitages clean and functional, and the retreat's marketing.
My name is Barb Sorensen. I own an independent entertainment productions company in Palatine, IL named Emerald City Music Productions, Inc. (S-corporation since 1995). I produce multi-platform entertainment content, concerts, tours and special events. I am also the singer/songwriter on this independent record label. Over the years I have held all the different positions in my company. I am very familiar and capable in the digital realm and with creating websites and video projects. You can read more about me and my work at my website Barb Sorensen.
I became acquainted with Christ In The Wilderness Retreat in 1998 when I was invited by one of their board members to design and build their website, and to teach the director how to maintain it.
Since then I have finished many other digital projects for them on a voluntary basis. I have recorded nature sounds for their website, I have photographed and videographed the nature and property at the retreat center for their websites, I have trained the director on maintaining her own website, social media and various computer issues, and I have created wallpaper and desktop animations for them as well.
I was asked to create an 8 minute promotional video for this non-profit (501[c]3) Christ In The Wilderness Retreat in Stockton, IL (CITW). I have already begun the project and have shot the raw footage for the video.
Because I am an artist, I typically have "release" concerts for the official releases of my CDs and Video projects. As I was thinking about how to tie this process into the CITW project, I realized the perfect opportunity to have a concert for the official release of this video project, and to make it be a fundraiser concert for CITW, to further help promote their cause.
This entire project will include:
- An 8 minute promotional video
- A 1 hour video release fundraiser celebration concert on the grounds of Christ In The Wilderness Retreat in Stockton, IL (Sept. 10, 2017)
The majority of this project is a gift to CITW from myself. I have waived my usual production, recording and performance fees. However, there are additional expenses to cover for which I am seeking financial support from you, and by which you can also show your support for CITW.
WHY SUPPORT THIS PROJECT
I am not only looking to raise funds via Kickstarter to help me accomplish this, but also to use the Kickstarter campaign as a marketing tool in itself to help spread the word about CITW to further their cause, and to help sell tickets to the fundraiser concert. Please tell all your friends and associates!
The work involved in bringing this project to completion includes:
- Log, sort & select the best parts of the 30 hours of footage
- Edit footage, add titles, text,and sound
- Rendering the final version into various formats for use on line and mobile
- Scheduling the concert with Sr. Julia
- Creating the posters, signs and stage banner
- Renting a small outdoor lighting rig and small stage (I have my own sound system which I will use)
- Creating the marketing plan for the fundraiser concert
- Executing the plan and selling tickets
- Creating an online ticket page using my account on Eventbrite.com
- Practicing, keeping in touch and updating the Backers
WHERE YOUR CONTRIBUTION GOES
Your contribution is vital to the execution of this project. I hope to raise a minimum of $10,000 + through this campaign to help me complete the video and bring to fruition the summer fundraiser concert.
Tickets to the concert will be sold online (http://www.eventbrite.com) and in person by myself and CIT. Funds raised via those ticket sales go to CITW not myself.
Hard Costs include :
- Lodging for 2 weekends in Stockton, IL (2.5 hours by car from my home) to review the video with Sr Julia for any necessary tweaks after main editing is completed
- Permits from Stockton for the concert
- Renting a car to get back and forth to Stockton, IL
- Renting a small lighting rig and stage for the concert
- Printing the Backers rewards items, signs for the concert, posters, and a stage banner
- 2 Flash Drives
- 1 backup hard drive
- Refreshments for the guests at the concert (lemonade, s'mores ingredients, sausage links, coffee, cookies, napkins, paper plates, paper cups, water bottles)
- I would like to raise additional funding or in-kind contributions to purchase an updated MAC computer to edit this project on (currently I am using the computers at the local library) est. $3500 (including software)
- Costs for a Videographer and Editor to film the concert and behind the scenes setup footage, for a video to be used after the concert to further promote the cause.
- Better HD camera equipment with sound attachment for on-site interviews with the audience and Backers
Keep up to date with my project here and on
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/barb.sorensen.961
My Website: http://www.barbsorensen.com
I have already shot the footage for the video. The next phase is to edit the project, and then release it with a celebration fundraiser concert on September 10, 2017 at 3:30 pm.
- Prepare the marketing plan for this Kickstarter campaign while it is being approved by the Kickstarter staff.
- Re-Release this Kickstarter project
- Finish the Campaign to raise the funds.
- Begin the logging and editing process of the Video
- Send out announcements to all the backers
- Begin marketing the concert
- Finish the video
- Prepare the printed materials (signs, posters, etc..)
- Meet with Sr Julia and hang up posters around town
- Reserve the equipment to be rented
- Big marketing push (using Social media, local public access television, local radio, word of mouth, online event sites, cross marketing with other local events) to sell tickets
- Practice and prepare the set list and run through for the concert date
Thank you for being a donor for this promotional video and fundraiser concert. Every dollar is very appreciated to help me complete this gift.
Risks and challenges
The risks include:
Computer crashes - having a backup hard drive will be necessary.
Rain on the concert date - There is a small chapel for visitors where we can move the concert indoors for inclement weather. If it is terrible blustery just awful weather, I will coordinate via phone with the donors and ticket buyers about an alternate date.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter