Live from the Banana Stand Vol. 1 - Music from Portland
Thanks for checking out our Kickstarter page. We’re a small group of people who run a secret house-venue/recording space in Portland, Oregon called The Banana Stand. Yes, the name is inspired by our favorite show, Arrested Development. (We can’t wait for it to come back either!) And yes, it’s a joke, because in reality there isn’t any money in The Banana Stand -- hence this Kickstarter.
For more than four years we’ve been documenting Portland's live music, releasing more than three-dozen live albums recorded at our secret shows. Now, we want to share some of the best of our recordings in the highest-quality way possible. To do this, we need your help.
WHAT WE WANT TO CREATE
We will deliver a professionally-mastered live compilation album featuring some of the best live tracks we’ve captured over the years. Our goals: raise awareness of featured artists, of Portland's live music, and of Banana Stand's documentation efforts.
The CD will be produced by Cravedog. Packaging will be produced by Stumptown Printers. The album will be mastered by Chris Vita at Vita Mastering. All are sponsoring the release to help us lower costs, but we're still short on funds.
FEATURED ARTISTS / SONGS
1. Blue Skies For Black Hearts - "The Sitch"
2. Youth - "Want You To Know"
3. Death Songs - "Water in the Eyes of Man"
4. The Woolen Men - "Land of Laughs"
5. The We Shared Milk - "Drag"
6. The Angry Orts - "No More"
7. Tango Alpha Tango - "Black Cloud"
8. Log Across the Washer - "What's New Fat Man?"
9. Forest Park "Story"
10. The Polyps - "Short Song"
11. Talkative - "Front Porch Annex"
12. Tiger House - "No Bees"
13. Alex Arrowsmith & His Pugs - "Freeze Tag"
14. Curious Hands - "British Columbia"
15. The Silent Numbers - "Said So"
16. Sons of Huns - "Super Kanpai Rainbow"
17. The Hague - "Passing Cars"
18. Towering Trees - "Coolidge"
19. Modernstate - "This Is Life"
20. Jack Ruby Presents - "Old"
All songs on the compilation were recorded before a live audience at Banana Stand secret shows.
PLUS! With your support, we will hold a free, awesome release event featuring some of Portland’s best independent musicians at the Hawthorne Theater on June 10th with help from Mike Thrasher and The Portland Mercury!
Check out the line-up for our free release event at the Hawthorne Theater on Sunday, June 10th!
ALL-AGES Afternoon Show:
2:00 pm - The Woolen Men
3:00 pm - Fanno Creek
4:00 pm - The Angry Orts
5:00 pm - Sons of Huns
21+ Evening Show:
8:00 pm - Genders (featuring members of Youth)
9:00 pm - Blue Skies for Black Hearts
10:00 pm - Tango Alpha Tango
[Schedule subject to change. DJs and special guests to be announced.]
Why You Should Give Us Your Money
1. You get awesome things! Look at sidebar, Michael!
2. We really can’t do it without you. The cost of the materials to be given away is more than what we’re asking for in this Kickstarter -- though it will go along way toward helping us get things started.
3. You are helping independent artists reach a wider audience. After the Kickstarter is over, we plan to give away many remaining CDs to independent artists and local businesses.
4. The money will be spent within the Portland community to make high-quality goods. We want to support local business for this project, and show the high-quality products our city's artisans can craft.
Please donate if you can afford it, but, remember, donating isn't the only way you can help! Whether you're able to donate or not, please post news of this Kickstarter to Facebook and Twitter (if those are things you do). You can also visit our website, check out our releases, and download any that you like. Anything you're able to do will help us document and promote Portland's live music.
Thanks for listening to us and considering our Kickstarter. Thanks also to all of the people - bands, fans, music professionals, and volunteers - who have helped us along the way. You've made this release possible.
Background audio: "Want You To Know" from Youth - Live from the Banana Stand (forthcoming). Hear more from Youth at youth.bandcamp.com.
Live concert footage was shot by collective47, Ghost House, Jennifer Sowell, Evan R. Thompson, Aaron Mills, and Danny Felts. Concert footage features the bands Fanno Creek, Animal Eyes, The No Tomorrow Boys, Youth, and Sons of Huns.
Compilation album art provided by Rather Severe.
Banana Stand Media is Louie Herr, Aaron Colter, Evan R. Thompson, Brian David Smith, Chris Anderson, and Shawn Pike.
- (17 days)