Pebbles are a new version of the classic tangram puzzle game. We are fascinated by the tangram tradition and wanted to create a set that was beautiful to look at and felt great in your hands. Playing with Pebbles can be both fun and challenging regardless of your age. Both kids and adults can use Pebbles when they feel like playing a game or solving a puzzle.
Classic tangram puzzles have existed for generations. The same seven shapes have been twisted and turned to create animals, acrobats, and hundreds of other shapes.
You don't always need to solve a puzzle when you play with Pebbles. Sometimes the most fun is to just play with the tiles and doodle around until you start to see a pattern.
- Creative fidgeting: Playing with Pebbles stimulates your imagination and exercises your problem solving skills, while giving your hands a break from the keyboard and your eyes a rest from the screen. Pebbles are portable and come with a carrying tote so you can bring them with you to a café, work, on the train or anywhere you feel like playing.
- Classic for a Reason Working on this campaign we had a number of beautiful and encouraging encounters. While waiting for a flight, two young boys put down their parent's iPhone and came over to watch us make shapes. Soon they were making shapes themselves and loving it!
- Sustainable Play: Bamboo plants are one of the fastest growing plants on our planet and a valuable renewable resource. Pebbles will be made with bamboo fibres. Bamboo fibre is durable, non-toxic and biodegradable, a great alternative to harmful plastics.
- Satisfaction of Solving Tangram puzzles can be more challenging than they look. We recommend the solution pages as a first step for younger players. The real Dream Team is an adult and kid combo!! Kids and adults working together helps mix the patience of a parent with the enthusiasm of a child. There is a great satisfaction and pride for everyone when a challenging puzzle is solved!
- Make Your Hands Happy: While staying reasonably true to the classic shapes of traditional tangrams we've added gentle curves that make our pieces especially nice to handle and to hold. Even when you are not working on a specific shape, just moving Pebbles around in your hand is enjoyable and relaxing. Pebbles engage our instinct to touch and hold things and reflect our appetite for a more tactile connection to the world.
How Kickstarter Works
In order to bring Pebbles into production, we will need to invest in moulds that form and compress the ground bamboo into solid and durable pieces. We also need to make an initial order of thousands of pieces to get the ball rolling. By pledging to the campaign, and selecting a reward tier, you will help us get Pebbles produced and we will send you one of the first sets.
What do Backers Get
Based on your pledge level, you will receive anywhere from one to twenty sets of Pebbles. To get the best deal, pool your pledge with friends and you can all play and save together.
How Pebbles Were Born
Each piece was first sculpted by hand to create the balance and curviness desired. The Pebble pieces need to lay flat and fit snugly in multiple orientations. Designing the pebbles is one of those things that looks like it should be easy and gets kinda complicated pretty quickly. We also needed the 3D data files to allow for mass production while keeping their "natural" feel. Once the 3D data was prototyped we found a few edges to adjust and got started making shapes.
About Us (Adrienne & Liz)
We've been friends for more than twenty years and both of us are professionals with experience creating new products and designs
Liz is an industrial designer and travels the world working with new materials and manufacturers. Her experience with design and production is going to be an amazing help.
Adrienne has a marketing mind and specializes in creating new products and new brands. She successfully launched a Kickstarter in 2013, Food Huggers, that left 5,000 supporters (and their fruits and veggies) very happy.
We are very excited to be launching this new project together. You can count on us to deliver a great product with attention to detail and an open line of communication.
We thank our families for their support both the general kind of providing encouragement as well as the "rolling up the sleeves" kind where videos and photos and big brained computer skills come into play.
Many thanks to Val Foster who helped us create the Pebble logo and is always a front row supporter. Thank you to Ozzy, Weston, Stella and Maximus for solving puzzles, and being in our photos and video.
We also thank Howard Liss, who made the connection to Christine Xu, our amazing manufacturing partner, possible.
Thank you for reading. We can't wait to introduce you to Pebbles!
Risks and challenges
We are in a very fortunate position. Liz has worked with the manufacturer of the bamboo material on projects for her employer. We are very lucky that we can trust with great confidence that pieces will come out just as planned. Many thanks to Tundra and Howard Liss for permission to use their partner for our project.
Both of us have a fair bit of experience organizing the manufacture, transportation and distribution of products, and we will be using BackerKit for the survey fulfillment and organization.
Having experience means that you know that the problems that creep up are rarely visible at the beginning of the project, so we have also added in some cushioning to the timeline for good measure. If all goes well, we might be able to ship a bit early,Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)