Hey there fellow fans of zombie-based apocalyptic entertainment! A.Ron here, from the Bald Move Network. First off, DON'T PANIC! It is not our intention to hold our podcast "Watching Dead" hostage behind a Kickstarter ransom wall. In fact, if Kickstarter would let us, we'd set the funding level to $1. We love talking about the adventures of Rick Grimes and company, and have no plans on ever stopping.
So why are we asking for money? Because we want to make the show better! More podcasts. Quicker delivery. Survival guides. Live streaming. Some of this stuff we used to do back in Season 2, and some of it is stuff we always wanted to do, but we just didn't have the time. And that’s where you come in.
We want to stop working as much for The Man, and start working more for you. Jim and I are willing to take time off work each week, unpaid, to deliver on these promises. But you have to step up so we can keep food on the table and roofs over our heads. How much is "Watching Dead" worth to you? If it’s worth nothing, or you're short on dough, that's cool! We’ll still release -- for free -- the same show we did last year. If you do decide it’s worth something, depending on how much you give, we have a bunch of neat rewards for you to consider on the menu to the right.
Our initial funding goal, at the $1000 level, is to start doing "Instant Take" podcasts. We did these for our coverage of the final season of "Breaking Bad", and people loved it so much we decided to make it the "shooting fish in the barrel" initial goal. An "Instant Take" is where Jim and I take to the mics as soon as the newest episode airs, record our initial off-the-cuff impressions of the show for 15-30 minutes, then hustle our asses off to get that sucker live on the internet, usually within the hour. They take time and commitment, but we’ll be working for you now. We’ll make the time!
And most excitingly, as the money piles up, our stretch goals kick in! At each new funding milestone, "Watching Dead" will either get better, or we’ll release some special content as a treat. Check it out...
- $1000 - Default goal - "Instant Take" podcasts!
- $2000 - Live streaming instant-take podcasts. Can't wait the extra hour it takes to get our podcasts to your ears? Want to hear all the juicy pre-show banter and withering verbal and emotional abuse Jim inflicts on me? If we hit this level, all of our "instant casts" will be streamed on the internet, so you hear it live, before it is released as a podcast!
- $3000 - Skits! God knows why, but people like it when I do a ridiculous Rick Grimes accent, Jim does whatever other voice we need, and we attempt a funny take on that week's episode. Hitting this level will guarantee at least TWO skits for this upcoming year.
- $4000 - Live streaming full coverage podcast! Same as the instant cast, only longer. Hear our full, un-edited, too-hot for iTunes podcast version, live, before it gets released as a podcast. Warning: You might hear spoilers in this take. Sometimes we slip up and have to edit a spoiler out of our casts, and your ears will have no protection on the live listen!
- $5000 - All live streaming is upgraded to video!
- $6000 - Survival guides! If you're a long time fan, you probably remember during the early goings of season 2, I wrote a series of tongue in cheek "survival guides", that broke down the decisions our plucky band of survivors made each week, and then tore them a new one for it. I got a lot of positive feedback on these, but they took a lot of time to create. If we raise this much, I'm bringing them back, for EVERY episode! They will be posted by noon on each Friday following a new episode.
- $7000 - Video skits! Similar to our Kickstarter project video, we'll be making a video version of our classic "Watching Dead" skits. We'll use screen shots, crude animation, and other amateur hour techniques to make the payload the much funnier.
So there you go! This season's Watching Dead will be what you make it. Either it will return as the same old cast, or with some exciting new additions. I assure you that we’ll be excited to continue to serve you and the rest of The Walking Dead / Bald Move community no matter what. Thanks for considering our Kickstarter project!
PS: Why limit our Kickstarter to just the first half of season 4? Well, AMC hasn't even shot the second half of season 4. There is no guarantee it will be made, although it certainly seems a sure thing. But you never know. Viewership could plummet and AMC could cancel the show, or some other unforeseen catastrophe could strike. We'd rather not have to worry about issuing refunds, prolong reward and goal fulfillment, and basically double our stretch goal levels - to cover the full sixteen episodes. We wrestled with this decision, but since AMC is treating these as two separate seasons in all but name, we are forced to do so as well.
Risks and challenges
A.Ron and Jim have years of podcasting experience, and we have never missed a deadline or failed to complete a season. Outside of a major illness or death of one of the hosts, you will get your "Watching Dead" fix.
While we will make every effort to get the Instant Cast out as quickly as possible after the episode, usually within 2 hours of the Eastern Time premier, power and internet outages, as well as other disasters may unavoidably delay the coverage.
We have no creative control over "The Walking Dead", and the first half of the fourth season could royally suck, or be unsatisfying, and that could lessen your enjoyment of our podcast, or change the way we cover the show that you might also not agree with or enjoy. Conversely, "The Walking Dead" could get really, really good and perhaps our podcasts about it won't be as funny. Podcasting enjoyment is by nature subjective. If you like our previous work on "Breaking Good", "The Watching Dead", "Justified", "Game of Thrones", or the "Mad Men Happy Hour", we strongly suspect you'll be satisfied with our coverage of season 4a of "The Walking Dead".
Backing us does not influence whether or not we will use your feedback on our show. We will use the same editorial process to select feedback that we always do and edit all feedback purely for content and time constraints.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)