Hey there fellow Breaking Bad fans! A.Ron here, from the Bald Move Network. First off, don’t worry. It is not our intention to hold Breaking Good hostage behind a Kickstarter ransom wall. In fact, we tried to set the funding goal to $10, but Kickstarter said that was way too crazy cheap to fund a podcast. (True story!) Ha! Little do they know. Wild horses could not keep us from talking about the Villigan’s final 8 episodes of BrBa, recording said conversation, and releasing it on the Internet in MP3 form.
So why are we asking for money? Because we want to make Breaking Good better! More feedback options. More ways to relate to fans. More podcasts. Quicker delivery. Some of this stuff we used to do, some of it is stuff we always wanted to do, but we just didn’t have time. That’s where you come in. We want to stop working as much for The Man, and start working more for you. Jim and I are willing to take time off work each week, unpaid, to deliver on these promises. But you have to step up so we can keep food on the table and roofs over our heads.
How much is Breaking Good worth to you? If it’s worth nothing, no worries. We’ll still release -- for free -- the same show we did last year. If you do decide it’s worth something, depending on how much you give, we have a bunch of neat rewards for you to consider on the menu to the right.
Our initial goal is to bring back our instant take reviews, and for $1000, we will make that happen. If you’ve been a fan since season four, you’ll probably remember that we used to post “instant takes”, which were articles we wrote immediately after watching Breaking Bad. A little mini-review, if you will. We stopped doing them due to lack of time, but we’ll be working for you now. We’ll make the time!
And most excitingly, as the money piles up, our stretch goals kick in! At each new funding milestone, Breaking Good will either get better, or we’ll release some special content as a treat. Check it out...
- $2000 – Voicemail feedback! We’ve always wanted for you to be able to call in, leave a message, and add it to our show, but it’s a huge pain in the ass to edit all that stuff in. If we raise two grand, we’ll do it gladly! Only Backers will receive the call in number, but we can’t promise to use every voicemail we receive on air. We will edit them like any other feedback we receive, for content and time constraints.
- $2500 – The “Vault of Shame”! Jim and A.Ron have been working on projects together since they’ve been kids. Cringe-worthy fan-fiction. Failed board games. Doom 2 levels. Amateur photoshops. We’ll post a variety of options, and backers can vote on what they want, and we’ll deliver them digitally. Only backers will be able to receive these items, so if you’re curious, throw us a buck!
- $3000 – Q&A podcast! Have a question you want to ask Jim and A.Ron? Here’s your chance. The podcast will be released for everyone to enjoy, but only backers will be able to submit questions. While we reserve the right to not answer any particular question based on privacy concerns, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, we’re not particularly shy.
- $4000 – “Instant Take” podcasts! We did this a few times after particularly epic episodes of Breaking Bad, where we’d take to the mics minutes after the episode aired and had an off the cuff 20-30 minute bonus podcast edited and out the door that very same night. Hit this level, and we’ll do that for EVERY episode!
- $4500 – Q&A video ‘cast! Same as the Q&A podcast above, but upgraded with video! …which may be perceived as a downgrade. Your mileage may vary. We will also release the audio of this as a regular podcast, if you for some reason hate videos.
- $5000 – MST3K/Rifftrax style commentary for the episode of your choice! You either know and love the works of Mike, Joel, Kevin and Bill or you’ve been living under a rock the past two decades. At this level, Jim and A.Ron will record a commentary track for an episode of television and release it as an MP3 you can sync up and watch with your television. The worse the episode, the funnier it will be, so we won’t be doing Breaking Bad. Think first season Star Trek: TNG, some of the kookier 24, Lost, or X-Files episodes. We’ll have a list of stuff we think would work well, that are readily available on Netflix, and we’ll let the backers vote on which one they want us to tackle. This should be a fun one.
- $6500 – Daily news posts! We also used to do this for season 4, but oh my god, what a time sink. Every day, Monday – Friday, excepting national holidays, for the duration of Breaking Bad season six (or 5.2, if you prefer) we will round up the best Breaking Bad news and coverage from around the net, and post it on baldmove.com by noon EST for your perusal.
- $8000 – Monday podcast release! The big one. As you know, our custom is to podcast Tuesday evening, and release before/no later than midnight. Hit this stretch goal, and we’ll burn the midnight, daylight, any kind of light oil it will take to move this up a whole calendar day, to get you the latest Breaking Goodness as early as humanly possible.
So there you go! Breaking Good will be what you make it. Either it will return as the same old cast, or with some exciting new additions. I assure you that we’ll be excited to continue to serve you and the rest of the Breaking Bad / Bald Move community no matter what. Thanks for considering our Kickstarter project!
Risks and challenges
A.Ron and Jim have years of podcasting experience, and we have never missed a deadline or failed to complete a season, and we weren't even getting paid. Outside of a major illness or death of one of the hosts, you will get your "Breaking Good" fix.
We have no control over "Breaking Bad", and its final season could suck, or be ultimately unsatisfying, and that could lessen your enjoyment of our podcast, or change the way we cover the show that you might also not agree with or enjoy. Podcasting enjoyment is by nature subjective. If you like our previous work on "Breaking Good", "The Watching Dead", "Justified", "Game of Thrones", or the "Mad Men Happy Hour", we strongly suspect you'll be satisfied with our coverage of the final season of "Breaking Bad".
While some stretch goals may unlock new avenues of feedback, backing us does not guarantee that we will use your feedback on our show. We will use the same editorial process to select feedback that we always do and edit all feedback for content and time constraints.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)