Jim and A.Ron are in the empire business. Will you be the Mike to our Walt and Jesse? Only we *won't* stab you in the back. Probably. Read more
This project was successfully funded on July 11, 2013.
About this project
Hey there fellow Breaking Bad fans! A.Ron here, from the Bald Move Network. First off, don’t worry. It is not our intention to hold Breaking Good hostage behind a Kickstarter ransom wall. In fact, we tried to set the funding goal to $10, but Kickstarter said that was way too crazy cheap to fund a podcast. (True story!) Ha! Little do they know. Wild horses could not keep us from talking about the Villigan’s final 8 episodes of BrBa, recording said conversation, and releasing it on the Internet in MP3 form.
So why are we asking for money? Because we want to make Breaking Good better! More feedback options. More ways to relate to fans. More podcasts. Quicker delivery. Some of this stuff we used to do, some of it is stuff we always wanted to do, but we just didn’t have time. That’s where you come in. We want to stop working as much for The Man, and start working more for you. Jim and I are willing to take time off work each week, unpaid, to deliver on these promises. But you have to step up so we can keep food on the table and roofs over our heads.
How much is Breaking Good worth to you? If it’s worth nothing, no worries. We’ll still release -- for free -- the same show we did last year. If you do decide it’s worth something, depending on how much you give, we have a bunch of neat rewards for you to consider on the menu to the right.
Our initial goal is to bring back our instant take reviews, and for $1000, we will make that happen. If you’ve been a fan since season four, you’ll probably remember that we used to post “instant takes”, which were articles we wrote immediately after watching Breaking Bad. A little mini-review, if you will. We stopped doing them due to lack of time, but we’ll be working for you now. We’ll make the time!
And most excitingly, as the money piles up, our stretch goals kick in! At each new funding milestone, Breaking Good will either get better, or we’ll release some special content as a treat. Check it out...
- $2000 – Voicemail feedback! We’ve always wanted for you to be able to call in, leave a message, and add it to our show, but it’s a huge pain in the ass to edit all that stuff in. If we raise two grand, we’ll do it gladly! Only Backers will receive the call in number, but we can’t promise to use every voicemail we receive on air. We will edit them like any other feedback we receive, for content and time constraints.
- $2500 – The “Vault of Shame”! Jim and A.Ron have been working on projects together since they’ve been kids. Cringe-worthy fan-fiction. Failed board games. Doom 2 levels. Amateur photoshops. We’ll post a variety of options, and backers can vote on what they want, and we’ll deliver them digitally. Only backers will be able to receive these items, so if you’re curious, throw us a buck!
- $3000 – Q&A podcast! Have a question you want to ask Jim and A.Ron? Here’s your chance. The podcast will be released for everyone to enjoy, but only backers will be able to submit questions. While we reserve the right to not answer any particular question based on privacy concerns, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, we’re not particularly shy.
- $4000 – “Instant Take” podcasts! We did this a few times after particularly epic episodes of Breaking Bad, where we’d take to the mics minutes after the episode aired and had an off the cuff 20-30 minute bonus podcast edited and out the door that very same night. Hit this level, and we’ll do that for EVERY episode!
- $4500 – Q&A video ‘cast! Same as the Q&A podcast above, but upgraded with video! …which may be perceived as a downgrade. Your mileage may vary. We will also release the audio of this as a regular podcast, if you for some reason hate videos.
- $5000 – MST3K/Rifftrax style commentary for the episode of your choice! You either know and love the works of Mike, Joel, Kevin and Bill or you’ve been living under a rock the past two decades. At this level, Jim and A.Ron will record a commentary track for an episode of television and release it as an MP3 you can sync up and watch with your television. The worse the episode, the funnier it will be, so we won’t be doing Breaking Bad. Think first season Star Trek: TNG, some of the kookier 24, Lost, or X-Files episodes. We’ll have a list of stuff we think would work well, that are readily available on Netflix, and we’ll let the backers vote on which one they want us to tackle. This should be a fun one.
- $6500 – Daily news posts! We also used to do this for season 4, but oh my god, what a time sink. Every day, Monday – Friday, excepting national holidays, for the duration of Breaking Bad season six (or 5.2, if you prefer) we will round up the best Breaking Bad news and coverage from around the net, and post it on baldmove.com by noon EST for your perusal.
- $8000 – Monday podcast release! The big one. As you know, our custom is to podcast Tuesday evening, and release before/no later than midnight. Hit this stretch goal, and we’ll burn the midnight, daylight, any kind of light oil it will take to move this up a whole calendar day, to get you the latest Breaking Goodness as early as humanly possible.
So there you go! Breaking Good will be what you make it. Either it will return as the same old cast, or with some exciting new additions. I assure you that we’ll be excited to continue to serve you and the rest of the Breaking Bad / Bald Move community no matter what. Thanks for considering our Kickstarter project!
Risks and challenges
A.Ron and Jim have years of podcasting experience, and we have never missed a deadline or failed to complete a season, and we weren't even getting paid. Outside of a major illness or death of one of the hosts, you will get your "Breaking Good" fix.
We have no control over "Breaking Bad", and its final season could suck, or be ultimately unsatisfying, and that could lessen your enjoyment of our podcast, or change the way we cover the show that you might also not agree with or enjoy. Podcasting enjoyment is by nature subjective. If you like our previous work on "Breaking Good", "The Watching Dead", "Justified", "Game of Thrones", or the "Mad Men Happy Hour", we strongly suspect you'll be satisfied with our coverage of the final season of "Breaking Bad".
While some stretch goals may unlock new avenues of feedback, backing us does not guarantee that we will use your feedback on our show. We will use the same editorial process to select feedback that we always do and edit all feedback for content and time constraints.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
I'm Aron, that is my real name. Jim isn't his real name, but that's what we've called him ever since I've known him, so it should be.
Breaking Good will still be produced. There was never a question about whether we'd actually do the podcast. Jim and I were sitting around bemoaning the fact that we didn't have time to do instant takes, instant podcasts, do our daily news posts, the stuff we did in Season 4 when we had more spare time. Then we thought about what it would take to get that stuff done. We'll do whatever is on our list that we get funding for, and if we don't get funding, we'll do the same basic cast we did for Season 5.1! We originally submitted the project with at $10 goal to reflect this, and have it entirely stretch goal driven, but Kickstarter wouldn't approve it, so we made the first stretch goal the official goal and rolled with it.
We totally understand! Ways you can help the Bald Move empire non-monetarily include leaving us iTunes reviews, liking us on Facebook and following us on Twitter, telling your friends and family about our podcasts, and positive words of encouragement. It all adds up to the feel good vibe that keeps up us pumped and motivated!
Not sure yet. We'll kick a few ideas around, if we have several good ones, we'll put it up to backer vote. We have a few designers lined up assuming we hit the first $1000 goal. Due to the costs involved, we'll have to stick with one design and probably one color choice, and due to legal issues, we won't be able to use any copyrighted materials (such as Walt and Jesse's mug) in the design. But it will be a design unique to this Kickstarter, and never made available again.
We thought long and hard about each one, and rated them on a 1-5 scale of difficulty, and another scale for what we anticipated would be how much the fans would want it. Things with low difficulty and low interest kinda sank to the bottom, and things with high difficulty and high interest rose to the top. Then we promoted a few higher interest things to lower funding levels because we love you!
We are indebted to David Chen and his evil Chempire for pioneering this approach with his Cast of Kings Kickstarter, so we took that as a model. Then we kind of just made stuff up. We weren't sure how popular / valuable some of the more exotic things like dinners, sponsor ships, and phone calls would be, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try. This is a pretty big experiment / learning process for us, we'll learn what works and doesn't work and make fine tuning / improvements for next time.
Muahaha! Assuming people support this, it's probable that we'll do one of these for each show. But don't worry, as long as we're podcasting, we'll always do the basic version of our cast, free of charge. The Kickstarters might serve to "upgrade" each season, depending on fan interest. We'd love to do voice calls, instant casts, etc all the time for nothing, but with the time constraints we live under, those are unlikely to ever happen without your continued support.
Obviously it takes at least one hour to watch the average episode. We usually watch it 2-3 times, with one of those viewings consisting of pausing, turning on captions, rewinding to get details right, etc. Then we comb the internet for insights, reviews, theories, etc. Then we process feedback. We get anywhere between 20-40 pages of feedback for each cast. We have time to read about 7 pages before our voices give out. Editing that is getting to be the most time consuming aspect of the process. The podcast itself takes about as long to cast as it does you to listen. We've reached the point where we do very little post-production on the casts while still maintaining high quality. Encoding, exporting, and publishing takes another hour or so. All told, we each spend about 10 hours per week, not including social media interactions. That's why we're coming with our hands out to do the extra stuff; we're actually going to be restructuring our work schedules (we both work pretty stressful, 50+ hour week jobs) and taking some unpaid time off during the season to get this stuff done.
First off, we'd only reject something that we'd find controversial or personally offensive. Having said that, you've heard our show, we're not exactly prudes, so long as it wouldn't involve sexual, racial, or other slurs, you're going to be fine. We'd also probably reject advertising for perpetual motion machines, healing magnets, psychic readings, or other stuff that we would consider snakeoil bullshit. If we can't work things out and do reject your ad, we will refund the amount you backed, no problem. You can always email us to ask questions if you're concerned!
First off, we plan to be discriminating. All voicemails must be informative or funny. Second, we will edit these voicemails to within an inch of their lives, until they reach the the legendary 99.1% purity discriminating listeners' demand.
Pledge $1 or more
The satisfaction of knowing you're enabling Jim and A.Ron's alcoholism, er, we mean funding the production of content you enjoy!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or more
Jim and A.Ron will send you an e-card thanking you for your support. Print it out, frame it, have something to point to while you're telling the grandkids about the legend of Bald Move while bouncing them on your knee!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
Jim and A.Ron will mail a greeting card, with an enclosed 5x7 signed photo, probably doing something silly / gross. We promise to be fully clothed.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $30 or more
A commemorative t-shirt! Think of the pride you'll feel when someone comes up and asks, "what the hell is a Bald Move?"Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $100 or more
A 30 minute personal phone call with Jim and A.Ron. Ask us anything! Pick our minds about podcasting! Try not to get too creepy!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or more
3 backers Limited (5 left of 8)
One minute of on-podcast "airtime" where Jim and A.Ron will discuss / promote / lavish praise on your product, project, or service. We reserve the right to limit or reject these based on our subjective sense of good taste and propriety.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
1 backer Limited (2 left of 3)
Date night with Jim and A.Ron! We'll take you and a guest to Indianapolis's famed St. Elmo's Steakhouse and treat you and guest to a meal backed by Ron Swanson's recommendation. Don't like St. Elmo's? We'll also spring for up to $250 worth of food and drink at any restaurant local to Indianapolis or Cincinnati. You must handle any travel and lodging expenses.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or more
0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)
Sponsorship of Breaking Good's coverage of the final Breaking Bad season. This is good for up to a 30 second blurb at the beginning of each episode and 1 minute of airtime per episode during our promotional segments. We reserve the right to limit or reject these based on our subjective sense of good taste and propriety.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)