Yum Yum Yummy
A cute, challenging puzzle game for clever minds. Devilishly difficult!
Yum Yum Yummy
A cute, challenging puzzle game for clever minds. Devilishly difficult!
We are very grateful and we want to show our gratitude by sharing the release of our early alpha preview. So now you can play Yum Yum Yummy on the browser!
Do you like real challenges? Do not be fooled by its cartoony aesthetics, Yum Yum Yummy is a logic puzzle game in which you have to master complex chain reactions. Strategic thinking and the ability to learn from your own mistakes are keys to success. This game is only suitable for brilliant and competitive minds, particularly those who are able to lose hundreds of times and yet continue playing!
In Yum Yum Yummy, nothing is left to chance. There is no luck and all movements can be accurately predicted. We do not like randomness. We believe that a true victory is the one which can be achieved using only your mind, without any other distracting factors. Do you dare to compete against your friends in this battle of the minds?
Have you noticed that nowadays there is almost no casual game that actually requires an intellectual effort? The trend of instant gratification that casual game market has imposed rewards speed and quick burst of emotions. In a world where even food is often sold pre-cooked, we have begun to get accustomed to this frantic pace, forgetting the pleasure of solving more elaborated intellectual problems. Only a few casual games invented today rise up to the likes of Chess, Rubik's Cube, or Sudoku in which you have to chew hard to taste victory; Today, we want to win even before the battle starts, and thus, the triumph is often flavourless. Yum Yum Yummy is a game that will make you stretch your brain, it is “healthy food” for your grey matter!
Every level has a board consisting blocks of animals and their favourite food (dog eat bones, bamboo panda, etc ..). The goal is simple: empty the board. To do this, you will have to make animals eat all their food by swapping any two adjacent blocks so that at least one animal can reach its favourite food. When they do so, the animal and food are cleared. Any other blocks located above will fall by gravity. Simple. Or so you think.
This is where the magic happens! You will have to master the art of creating chain reactions to solve levels in the same way as a good chess player does: planning future movements and all their possible consequences.
You win if you manage to clear the board . You lose when you can no longer perform any more movements and blocks are still on the board. If you are not happy with the progress of your game at any time you can restart the level and the board will return to its initial state; Additionally, on some levels, you will have the option to undo your last move.
Yum Yum Yummy initially is going to be released in PC, Mac and Android / IOS phones or tablets. If things go well maybe in the future we can offer it in other platforms, stay tuned for upcoming news!
- Challenging: This game will fry your brain.
- Deductive: The only way to win is to learn from your own mistakes.
- Social: Compete against your friends to show who is the smartest.
- Multiplatform: Play from wherever you want: PC, Mac, phone or tablet.
- Expandable: New levels will be added over time without additional cost.
- Creative: Design your own levels using our level editor and challenge your friends to solve them.
- Brain training: Improve your strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Physical level editor: Create a level in the real world using our printed board and tiles, take a picture with our computer vision app, and play the level you have just created directly from your phone, or share it with your friends!
The basic animals are: panda, rabbit, dog and monkey. Pandas like bamboo, rabbits like carrots, dogs like bones and monkeys like bananas. Once one of those animals find one or a stretch of their favourite food blocks, it will eat all them in a go.
The thing gets tricky when special animals are introduced. We currently have the following but we will be adding more in the future:
- Lion: This fierce predator could be very dangerous because it will eat any other animals adjacent to it. This may result in the failure of level completion. Therefore, if you want to temporarily prevent other animals from being eaten you’ll have to keep the lion isolated by surrounding it with food. However, lions are not all bad in the end, so you will have to feed them eventually... but just be careful with them!
- Pig: Unlike lions, greedy pigs loves food. They are always hungry and they’ll eat any kind of food (carrots, bamboo, bananas ...). You should be very careful with pigs because they can steal food from other animals, starving them and it would be impossible to win the game. To keep the pig under control, it can be isolated from delicious food surrounding it with other animals. Do not forget that the pig is also an animal so at some point you will also have to feed him.
- Termite: Termite is a small and harmless insect. For practical purposes it behaves just like any other animal, but its peculiarity is that it is the only one that can feed on wood. This special ability will be useful on many levels because wood is a structural element that can be used to build complex structures that other animals can not reach.
- Wood: Wood is a structural element that is not affected by gravity. It can be used to build towers, bridges and ledges, so that all the blocks located above it may be supported without falling. Wood block is static, therefore it can not be swapped with any other block. The only way to get rid of this material is by using termite which happily devour wood. For this reason, wood is considered as a food block and successful completion of a level will require no remaining wood block on the board.
- Ice: Ice is a very special kind of blocks, which can mainly be found in the colder areas of the map. Any kind of block, animal or food, may appear in its frozen form. When a block is frozen, it can not eat or be eaten. Thus, if termites find a frozen wooden block, they will not be able to eat it ... such frustration! To extract the content the icy block need to receive impact, either by falling from a higher place and hitting the ground, or being crushed by another block from above.
- Blue balloons: Balloons are one of our favorite type of blocks. They are cuddly, colorful and fortunately they are not affected by gravity. Although, they are very delicate so if they’re squeezed (by double clicking it) it would explode! Blue balloons are filled with helium, so they tend to fly and fly up to the ceiling if they do not find resistance. If there is one or more blocks above it, it will float motionlessly. Another peculiarity of balloons, is that if a frozen block is dropped and hit it, it won't break since balloons are cuddly and will cushion the fall. This can be very useful when it is necessary to move ice blocks around. When two blue balloons are combined, they come together into a super balloon with twice amount of helium and energy: red balloons!
- Red balloons: Red balloons are virtually the same as blue balloons, but because they have double the amount helium gas their floating power is much stronger and they are able to push any object up. This way, if you put a red balloon under a panda bear, the balloon will push the panda up until it hits the ceiling. The only objects that a red balloon can not move are wooden blocks, because these are structural and are attached to the board. Both red and blue balloons are not considered food or animals, so there is no problem if some floating balloons remain in the board to win the game.
- Sandstone: This brittle rock is made of sand and can be usually found in the desert. No animal can eat it and its peculiarity is that it can be swapped with any other kind of block (except wood, of course, since wood is a fixed block). Sandstone will gradually disintegrate with every move, so after moving it several times the rock will crumble and fade into dust. It can be very useful for moving other blocks when no animal can reach their food, or to isolate dangerous animals like lions. Since rocks are not animals or food, there is no problem if some blocks of sandstone remain in the board to win the game.
We'd love to make the game even better, but we need a little help to do so! If we reach any of these goals, this is what we would like to do:
- In-game hints and tips: Consist of a hint or advice that helps player to overcome a level when they are stuck. But please note that it will be only a hint, not the whole solution!
- Replayability: Each level will have 3 possible difficulties: easy, medium and hard. Each will be a variation of the level with different degrees of difficulty. Thus those who want to beat the game completely will have many more hours of fun.
- Translation into additional languages: German, French, Russian.
- Digital level editor for everyone: So everyone will be able to create their own levels. Trust us, if playing this game is challenging and fun, creating levels is twice as much!
- Printable board kits and computer vision app for everyone: to allow anyone to create their own levels in the real world and transfer them to the game.This can be done by just taking a picture of the physical board with our computer vision app.
- Challenge mode: New game mode introduced in which a player can design a level and send it as a challenge to his friends. Making your friends sweat is really fun and challenging too!
- User Submitted level gallery: The gallery will allow players to upload their own levels directly to the game so everyone will be able to play them. Levels will be sorted according different criteria (author, difficulty, rating, etc ..).This way, the number of levels will be ever growing as far as the community keeps on active and you will always have new levels waiting to be solved.
- Translation into additional languages: Swedish, Flemish, Portuguese, Italian, Mandarin, Hindi, Bahasa, Japanese and Korean.
Since young, one of our favorite video games has been Baku Baku Animal (released by Sega in 1995). A game in which our team members spent the whole afternoons competing against each other. We always thought it was one of the best games created despite its lack of popularity. Over time the game has started to vanish from people's memories and we thought it would be a great idea to resurrect all the concepts that we loved about that game to create a new version, completely different and remodeled but clearly influenced by the game we owe so much fun and pleasant times to. This way, the new generation who didn’t have the opportunity to play Baku Baku Animal will be able to relive the excitement of anticipating dozens of future movements to create stunning chain reactions.
We are also inspired by other games like Farm Heroes or Candy Crush Saga, but mainly on aesthetics and user interaction concepts. This is why some may mistakenly believe that our game is just another one of the many Candy Crush clones. Yum Yum Yummy has a completely different concept and you will have a challenging time if you are not accustomed to games which encourage your brain work at its full potential.
Of course, this game is much more than an amalgam of ideas.
We have devoted plenty of time and love for this game, probably more than anyone can imagine. It is currently in a very mature state, but there are still plenty of work required to complete the game, including:
- Porting the game to different platforms
- Music and sound effects
- Translation and localization
- Optimize content for different resolutions
- Improve the computer vision level editor
- Improve the standard level editor
- Design more levels
- Further development and programming activities
However, the most important parts of the game are already finished, so everything goes as planned.
Everyone has a dream. Ours is to create a video game to be proud of. We can not imagine a greater pleasure than one day watching a stranger playing Yum Yum Yummy on the bus.
To achieve our goal, two of us have voluntarily quit our day jobs and dedicate many long unpaid hours for this passion. We have worked on this game for more than one and a half years. At times, when our savings run out, it had been necessary to undertake external projects, and this has slowed down the development of the game considerably. We have launched this campaign via Kickstarter to finish the game while continue to remain independent. We do not intend to get rich, but to continue modestly in this adventure that we have already embarked on.
We believe Kickstarter is a community where people not only invest to obtain direct benefit, but one of the major incentives to invest in an idea (and surely the main reason why yourself are reading this), is partly to support those who are risking everything to reach their goal. In a world dominated by giants, the only way to stand out is by helping each other to stand out.
With your help, we would like to finish the game and make Yum Yum Yummy the best it can be. We promise that we will do with devotion, love and enthusiasm.
If you can not back our project, please do not worry! We are very grateful to anyone who could help spread this campaign through their social networks. You can follow us on twitter and facebook, every little bit counts!
Thanks for believing in us!
Our primary goal is to distribute our game, but we have additional rewards to show you our gratitude which you will surely enjoy, such as handmade watercolor postcards, include levels designed by you in the game, a portrait of your pet or even throwing a potato omelette to our own faces while shouting your name!
Risks and challenges
Developing a game requires great creative effort, long hours of programming and hundreds of drawings and animations created frame by frame. This is an enormous tasks for a small team. Our main challenge will be to create a good quality game and finish it on time.
The game development is in its mature state, so we do not expect to meet any major setbacks. Most of the art is finished, and 80% of the game programming is completed.
At present time the most complex technical challenge that we are facing is to improve our computer vision app, so that we can provide a better experience for those backers who will use our physical level editor.
We will also invest more effort in porting and optimizing our game to different mobile devices. This is probably the task in which we will invest most effort on.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)