This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sun, April 14 2019 5:02 PM UTC +00:00.
We Love Birds!
Backyard Birding is a card game that brings the joys of birding to your living room. It's for all ages, fast, friendly, and fun. Play for a good time or to learn about and identify many common birds. Our goal is to give you and your family and friends an afternoon of fun, and also to spread awareness of the birds that you can see around you each day. Whether you're an experienced birder, or can't tell the difference between a pigeon and a penguin, this game is for you!
Keep reading for more details about the game and our project. Visit our website for even more cool stuff!
Play. Attract. Learn!
In Backyard Birding, use different Backyard cards to build an environment most suitable for the largest variety of birds.
Collect points by attracting more birds to your Yard; the more common they are in one of the four seasons, the more points they're worth!
But beware: dangers such as birds of prey and house cats lurk that make it more difficult to attract more birds.
The player with the most points in their Yard at the end of the game wins!
What's in the Box?
- 38 Bird cards representing many of the most common species of the Pacific Northwest
- 8 Surprise cards that will come up during play
- 50 Backyard cards representing the habitat and food sources birds will need
- 4 Season cards which tell you which birds are in season and worth the most points
- 2 Reference cards to help you with the essential rules
- The Rule Book
Note: In order to offer the game to you at its lowest possible cost, we've opted NOT to include a six-sided dice, which is required for play. We figure you can grab one out of another game in the house or stop at the dollar store!
Our Bird Info and Sighting Record
Each backer will receive our "Backyard Birding Info and Sighting Record" as a downloadable PDF. This document features facts about each of the birds found in the game, organized in a table that you can use to keep track of which birds you've seen visit your yard or while out on walks.
Check out our "How to Play" and "Demo Gameplay" videos for more!
Why Should I Play?
The game is fast paced, fair, and rewarding for players of different motivations and skill levels. What kind of player are you?
- "I Just Want to Have Fun!" The easy game play, friendly chase for birds, and dice rolling naturally brings out a good time. You may find yourself more excited about collecting birds than you’d ever thought possible.
- "Show Me the Birds!" The gorgeous photography and style of the cards may encourage you to simply try to attract your favorites. Win or lose, it feels good to be the one that brought your favorite bird to your collection.
- "I Want to Win!" Choosing which Backyard cards to play, watching which Backyard cards have been used by other players, and the point value of birds are important strategies for winning.
- "I Want to Learn Or Teach" Think of the cards like flashcards. Through repetition and association, players will become familiar with the appearance, names, habitat, and diet of birds they can find in the real world.
Backyard Birding is a pet-project of two guys who love birds and games. So we’re all on the same page, here’s us wearing our hearts on our sleeves so you know where we’re coming from and how we see the game in the future.
“Play. Attract. Learn!” is pretty much our motto for a reason. For us, this game is about sharing the enjoyment of birds in a fun format. If you can tell the difference between a junco and a chickadee after playing—we’ll feel pretty good.
Our motto isn’t “Create-Market-Profit.” We’re realistic in what we can accomplish in this first endeavor, and are not driven by profit. We count success as delivering a limited-run of the game (500 copies) to our backers. This minimizes risk and gives you the best chance to enjoy the game at the conclusion of our crowd-funding campaign.
Any surplus funding will go to pay back expenses accrued during design, and then to consider for future projects.
Currently we designed our efforts to end after our Kickstarter campaign. If the demand is there, we are open to future printings and even new versions of the game to feature birds from different regions.
By pledging to support Backyard Birding you are covering manufacturing and shipping costs for your copy of the game.
Final files are ready for manufacturing, and a formal quote from the manufacturer (PrintNinja) has been received. Once our campaign is successful, we're ready to deliver the files for printing.
Backyard Birding ships with an active barcode on box. We appreciate retailers giving us a "heads-up" before selling in-store so we can learn more about how the game is being experienced by the community.
Here's our timeline for living up to your pledge of support:
- March: Kickstarter campaign begins
- April: Kickstarter campaign concludes
- May: Delivery of files to manufacturer; back and forth with manufacturer
- June: Quality assurance review of physical proof from manufacturer
- July: Printing
- August: Delivery to Backyard Birding HQ
- September: Final delivery to your mailbox!
We'll be sending you your game(s) via USPS. Shipping cost is included to US backers. We ask that our international friends check the International option when pledging to help us get your game across borders.
We shipped the card game "Tropes: Horror Show Edition" via a successful Kickstarter campaign.
Check our our very active blog, "The Bird Nerd" for fun discussions and ideas on the hobby of birding (and for more info on the game!)
We were interviewed as a feature in the podcast "Erik and Hannah Go Birding".
Contact us if you're in the Western Washington region and interested in playing the game in person, or hosting a bird-themed game night! Or, if you're interested in chatting with Jeff and Jeremy for your blog or podcast.
Risks and challenges
Because our files are ready and our quote received, risks to you are minimal. These include
- Unforeseen shipping delays