Awakened - NPCs and Companions for 5e
Discover new creature NPCs and companions with bestowed intellect to spice up your campaign or inspire new characters.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sun, February 24 2019 4:00 AM UTC +00:00.
Discover the Awakened
Awaken is a powerful 5th-level spell that bestows permanent intelligence and awareness to a target creature. With its newfound intellect, the creature is free to explore the world and even make a name for itself. But who are these characters and how did they become awakened? What are they doing with their new intelligence? And how might they get entangled with the player characters in your world?
This is what we want to explore, and who better to bring it to you than the creators of the beloved Baby Bestiary itself.
What's Inside Awakened?
First and foremost, explore 20 awakened characters (and more to unlock with stretch goals). Each of these characters is complete with their own awakening story, including what they’re doing with their newfound intellect, their goals, and how to roleplay the awakened character. If they end up joining your adventurers, we even have a handy table of quirks that can shake things up a little bit.
In addition to the awakened characters, we will provide a number of rules and ideas for running your own awakened companions and player characters.
Characters of Awakened
The community and our writers have provided us with so many amazing ideas! Here are a few of those ideas to share with you, with more to unveil soon!
- Clio – A tressym rogue with a penchant for thievery
- Dagri – A goat who seeks revenge on the dragon who killed her halfling rider
- Giselle – A snooty and self-righteous horse paladin
- Hermione – A cow who escaped slaughter and now travels as an inspirational bard
- Hood – A sneaky possum who has a knack with magic items
- Merle – A raven warlock who tells fortunes for shinies
- Monty – An intelligent and ambitious winged snake who serves a local gang
- Moppet – A noble-serving lapdog who spies on guests
- Rya – A sorcerous dumbo octopus seeking the truth of their home
- Teng – A pangolin who desires to be the best swordsman in the kingdom
- Thraen – An elderly owlbear who safeguards his knot of the woods
Why are we Kickstarting this?
Originally we were thinking this project would be a release with a quick turnaround. However, we fell in love with the idea and wanted to give it the proper art treatment the concept deserves. Kickstarting this project allows us to get more art at a higher quality, and with your support, we can make this an all-star product with inspirational art and new character concepts to play and throw at your players.
- $5,000 - We're funded!!
- $6,000 *already unlocked* - Awakened Profiles +5
Awakened Profiles - These entries will be much shorter than the main text, They will include some of the character's backstory, whereabouts and goals as well as a statblock for the creature (think monster manual with quite a bit more text). In addition, 2-3 of these characters will have head-short images. These profiles can come from Backer-Submitted ideas.
- $7,000 *unlocked* - Expanded Awakened Player Options - more details to come
- $8,000 *unlocked* - Awakened Profiles +5
- $10,000 *unlocked* - Token Pack (featuring all unlocked art)
- $12,000 *unlocked* - Awakened Profiles +10
- $15,000 *unlocked* - Free Hardcover upgrade
- $20,000 - add 5 more full-spread awakened companions.
- $25,000 - add 5 more full-spread awakened companions.
- $1 Awakened Rumor – You've heard rumors about awakened creatures and have come to see what happens. You gain access to all project updates and are invited to Backerkit to upgrade your pledge if you'd like.
- $7 Awakened Friend – (DIGITAL TIER) You get the PDF of Awakened.
- $10 Awakened Companion – (DIGITAL TIER) You get the Awakened PDF and your name goes into the Backer Credits section. In addition, you’ll receive any unlocked digital rewards.
- $20 PRINT Companion – closed - same as the Awakened Hardcover tier
- $25 Awakened Harcover– (PRINT TIER) Get the PDF and hardcover of Awakened. Your name will go into the Backer Credits section and you will receive any unlocked stretch goals.
- $25 Awakened Disciple – (DIGITAL TIER) Get the PDF of Awakened , as well as the PDFs of the Baby Bestiary PDFs (including Volume 1, Volume 2 , 5e Caretaker Warlock, and the 5e Beast Companion rules.
- $35 Awakened Beast Friend – (PRINT TIER) Get the hardcover of Awakened as well as all the PDFs in the Awakened Disciple tier.
- $85 PRINT Awakened Disciple – (PRINT TIER) the Awakened Beast Friend tier with the Print Baby Bestiary Collectors Edition.
- $400 Awakened Beast Friend – (PRINT TIER)Create a Awakened creature. All rewards in the Awakened Beast Friend tier.
Who's working on this?
Annamarie Mickey - Annamarie always knew daydreaming magical animal friends as a kid would come in handy someday. When she's not scribbling stories and doodles on scrap paper, she also interviews cosplayers for Aetherflow Media, a Final Fantasy XIV fan project.
BJ Hensley - A fan of family togetherness and an advocate for women and creative outlets, BJ is the founder of Playground Adventures and Vice President of Lone Wolf Development. Additionally, she has freelanced for several high profile companies including Adventure a Week, Kobold Press, Rogue Genius, Rite, Legendary and most recently authored an adventure for WoTC’s Adventurers League.
Catherine Evans - Catherine has 3 dogs (none of them Awakened) and makes stuff up for a living. You can find her talking nonsense on Twitter @perpetualgloom, and check out some other things she made on The DM’s Guild:
Elizabeth Chaipraditkul - Liz is a game developer and writer who lives in the Netherlands. She is the owner of Angry Hamster Publishing and her company is currently working on a new game Afterlife. She is also the lead developer of the Crescent Empire book for 7th Sea by John Wick Presents, and has written for companies such as Magpie Games and Gallant Knight Games. When not in her own imaginary world Liz keeps busy with crafting and walking her dog.
You can find out more about her games at angryhamsterpublishing.com
Kat Carty - Kat is a full time Youth Services Librarian who creates nerdy programs for teens. She is also the lead graphic designer for BPB Games and did graphic design for Red Markets. Loves tabletop and video games and has a penchant for creating quirky characters Twitter.com/bpbgames
Kyle Carty - A designer for BPB Games, Kyle has several writing and design credits with EN5ider, Savage Worlds, Deadlands, and Red Markets. His work as the 5e system designer will ensure our fluffy friends are well balanced and interesting. You can follow BPB Games at twitter.com/bpbgames
Madi Byfield - Madi (@timepatches on the internet) is a writer, artist, and all-around freelance creative, with a rabid fondness for D&D and making visual novels. Just in her personal life she's created fifteen D&D characters in the last twelve months (and is still yet to play a character who isn’t a tiefling) and above all, she loves animals."
Megan Tolentino - Megan loves RPGs, octopuses, monsters, and making things. She spends her free time dreaming up whimsical and sometimes terrifying ways to combine them. Megan hosts several Actual Play podcasts, including The Redacted Files and The Amber Clave.
Scott Vandervalk – A freelance editor whose projects range across the globe, from educational textbooks to biographies, and (his favourite kind to edit) roleplaying games. Of particular interest to Scott are stories, games and education and the ways they can be connected together.
Cloverkin is a traditional fantasy artist with an emphasis on animals. Her work is reminiscent of Brian Froud and Beatrix Potter. She has over 10 years experience in the gaming industry and has recently gone freelance to pursue writing and illustrating her own stories.
Started in 2006, Conceptopolis is a visual production company that has worked on over 400 unique projects across television, video games and tabletop. They have provided art for official Wizards of the Coast books, the Baby Bestiaries and the notable Strongholds & Followers to name a few.
Crystal Sully is a monster maker who lives in the beautiful state of Colorado with a husband, some cats, her family's miniature donkeys, and a dingo. She currently does creature art and illustration within the gaming, film and publishing industries when she’s not busy taming dragons.
Traditional artist and hobby gamer, in love with things that glitter and the color white. Currently living with two very furry room mates in the northern hemisphere.
"Hello! I'm Nana Nakano, you can call me by either name. I'm a Japanese-American artist in California who loves illustration and character design. Humanoid to bestial, cute to creepy and everything in-between. When I'm not drawing I love to play games and eat food, especially noodles and tacos.
I’m Sarah Dahlinger, and I draw monsters and animals for books, games, and film. I’m also a scientific illustrator focused on vertebrate anatomy. I love making the fanciful look real and believable.
A Portland-based Illustrator who currently works as the Senior Producer at SuperGenius Studio. She's worked in TV, Film, and Games as an artist and animator, an in her free time, largely illustrates fantastical birds, among other things.
Metal Weave Games
Andreas Walters – Founder and Creative Director of Metal Weave Games and brainchild of the Baby Bestiary. He aims to create both innovative and evocative products, looking to inspire the next generation of tabletop gaming.
Risks and challenges
This is our thirteenth Kickstarter and we have the process pretty much figured out by this stage. To start with, we intend for this project to be digital only. This removes any risks and issues with fulfillment and allows us to focus on just paying our writers, editors, and most importantly, our artists.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!