Goal has been reached! Thanks so much for all the love and support. I am overwhelmed with gratitude!!!
There are still a few hours left to get your goodies (and lots of choices at $25) and help me get a few additional things for making the jewelry and an attachment for the laser.
Hi! I'm Garland. I like to make things.
A few years ago I had the chance to make a line of jewelry using an Epilog laser. I fell in love with the process! When I discovered the laser cutter, I discovered a place where the digital and physical worlds connected for me.
Relying on the digital fabrication community by using sites like Ponoko and other 3D printing services is great for small projects, but often the choice of materials is limited (I want ALL the colors!), and turnaround times are slow. By taking my collection from outsourced to in-home, I can provide faster turnaround times, create less waste, and allow for more experimentation.
Since 2009, laser cutters have become more and more affordable with "prosumer" machines making their way into the market. Because of this dramatic price drop, the timing seems right and I plan to do my own line of bamboo and acrylic jewelry in 2013. To do this, I need a few things, like a laser!
- $4,000 Laser & Basic Ventilation System
- $600 Consumables (Acrylic, Bamboo, Chains, Findings, Etc)
- Plus Miscellaneous Expenses (like...Kickstarter & Amazon Payment Fees)
By backing my project, you can get some of my jewelry or a custom cut item!
- More information for backers in the rewards sections.
Thank You Cards
- A Thank You card for my backers. You can also get your own set of 5 of these!
- My signature piece! Comes in black or white on a long silk cord necklace.
Yogacentric Jewelry Collection
- This yoga jewelry set set represents a pose that I love, Vrksasana or tree pose (the pendant), plus one pose I strive for, Dhanurasana or bow pose (the earrings). Namaste!
Custom Cut Coasters
- Personalize them with your favorite statement or make a unique gift for a friend.
Custom Cut Bamboo Business Cards
*NEW REWARD* As You Wish - Earrings
- For Christmas, the "As You Wish" collection has been added to the pledge rewards! Get the earrings (above) in emerald acrylic or the necklace (below) in bamboo.
*NEW REWARD* As You Wish - Bamboo Pendant
Show me some social love and share my project with your friends! Got a question? Shoot me a message, I love messages!
More about the Laser:
The Full Spectrum Laser I have my eyeballs on was backed right here on Kickstarter earlier this year! Between the FS laser and the Form 1 3D printer, it was quite the year for digital fabrication on Kickstarter. The FS laser is ideal for my needs and I am so impressed with their operation.
More about the collection:
Being able to custom select my materials, colors and pieces, I'll put together a sample line and get the 2013 collection up on my website. In addition, I'll do some business-to-business sales with the local shops and even some yoga studios, if they have retail space available. Samples can be mailed to studios and boutiques outside of the Charlotte metropolitan area if they are interested in my work. With a fashion marketing degree from the Art Institute of Charlotte, connecting my geeky side with my stylish side is a perfect fit for me as an artist.
CLICK HERE to visit my old Etsy shop for ratings on my 2009 Laser cut collection. (Under the name "Eclectic Circle".)
You can find my work listed as Eclectic Circle under the Ponoko 100 Laser Cut Jewelry Artists as well.
This Kickstarter was created using my AT&T Samsung Galaxy SIII phone for all pictures and video.
Risks and challenges
Production time will vary depending on how many backers there are and when the laser is shipped. It can take up to 2 months just to get the laser! The easy part will be getting the materials.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)