Legion TD 2 is free-to-play, but not pay-to-win.
Below is a tentative outline of how unlocking legions (races) will work. *Numbers are subject to change*
- Each week, a different legion will be freely available. The rotation varies by account.
- Win 10 matches with a legion, and you'll unlock it permanently. Or, you can pay $10.
- For beginners unfamiliar with the game, having all legions available at the start would be overwhelming. Unlocking legions gradually encourages players to learn legions one at a time before moving onto others. This is the natural way to learn the game.
- For experienced players, the advantage is still a statistically minor one given that different legions will be carefully balanced. Furthermore, experienced players should be able to easily rack up 10 wins.
- In *small* doses, having content that needs to be unlocked or purchased makes for a healthier community. It discourages people from making smurfs and troll accounts because making alternate accounts means they'll have to unlock everything again.
- Unlocking things just feels good. Many League of Legends players, after they hit level 30, enjoy the game less because they no longer gain experience to unlock new things.
Finally, on a personal note, I ask for your trust as the creator of Legion TD, a lifelong gamer, and someone who has worked day and night on this for the past 2 years without being paid a dime, that we've got the game's best interests in mind.
Discuss here: http://www.legiontd2.com/community/threads/some-questions.844/#post-2883