About this project
This campaign is to raise funds for the editing and production of the first book in the Voiceless Duology by E.G. Wilson, a two-book series about a schoolgirl who cons her way into a virtual psychoreality program in order to steal back her voice.
The Voiceless Duology is written for young-adult audiences. The story deals with dark themes of life, death, and personal sacrifice but it does not contain overt sex or violence.
Book One of the Voiceless Duology is simply titled Voiceless.
We hope you'll support this emerging author in what we are sure is going to be a fun project. And if you aren't sure, please set the ★ Reminder to the upper right.
Reasons to back!
- We were intrigued after the first sentence: "Adelaide Te Ngawai was thirteen when Maunga Richards stole her voice."
- You're from, in love with, or interested in New Zealand and want to support bringing New Zealand fiction to international audiences. The duology features an alternate future version of Timaru, New Zealand.
- For international audiences, you'll be introduced to an interesting and unique culture. We're sure excited about it.
- For locals, you'll enjoy cultural references, bringing your culture to the world and reading the author's vision of a future Timaru.
- The duology features an antagonist with a "Hufflepuff" personality; we think this is an interesting angle on heroes and villains. Rally time, Hufflepuffs!
- It's a different spin on science fiction, focusing on mind games, manipulation using technology, and simulated environments that don't need to follow the laws of physics.
- Features male and female main characters with complex personalities that stay away from stereotypes.
- You will get your book rewards early, before the public release date.
A Sample: The following is an sample from the book, prior to any of the rounds of editing this campaign will provide, if successful. We hope you enjoy!
She left the Bay line at the top of the Piazza, bypassed the lifts and took the stairs down to the fairground. It was a short walk across carefully maintained green grass to the sandy dunes of the Bay itself. Another minute took her out along the boardwalk to the glass walls of the Shelter. She found a free bench and sat, watching the waves roll in, tugging her school jersey down over her knuckles and hunching her shoulders against the night breeze.
Something pulled at her mind. It was probably important. She shut the door in its face and left it hammering for attention on the outside.
Her holo chimed again.
Mum. <Addy, where are you? Are you out with your friends? Please let me know.>
Addy sighed and selected the option to reply. Her quivering fingers fumbled, turning the first word into a mess of meaningless letters. Something cold and slimy coiled in her gut as she stared at it.
She deleted the attempt and tried again. The result was the same. It happened again. And again. And then again, by which time her hands were shaking so badly she couldn’t make out any individual letters, just a shapeless blur of semi-transparent blue light.
She deactivated the holo and blamed her damp cheeks on the salt spray.
The motion of the waves was rhythmic, slowing the racing of her pulse and quieting the hammering of the Very Important Something that wanted attention. It could wait. It could wait a long time. She closed her eyes and inhaled, slow and deep, smelling the salt tang of the ocean and the subtle perfume from the heated wooden boards underfoot. Really, she wouldn’t mind waiting forever.
Her holo chimed six times in the next hour. She ignored it. Ignored her hands trembling even as they gripped the bench white-knuckled. Ignored the fact that she was growing colder despite the floor heating, that her whole body had started shivering. She watched the sea, letting her mind drift with the waves, seeing the city rise layer upon layer overhead and wondering what the stars would look like beyond them.
She didn’t need to know what had happened. She didn’t want to know.
E.G. Wilson cut her authorial teeth writing Sherlock fanfiction at uni when she should really have been studying. She fell into writing science fiction after being inspired by Star Wars, Firefly, and Tolkien's legendarium and has since won NaNoWriMo every year since 2012. She lives in South Canterbury, New Zealand; she loves mountains, hates broad beans, and never wears matching socks.
If you have any questions, please let us know. We hope you'll join us for Voiceless.
Because...what would you do if you lost your voice?
Notes on the Rewards:
- All rewards starting with [Voiceless: ] provide copies of and rewards related to Book 1, Voiceless, only. If the DUOLOGY stretch goal is reached, additional rewards will be added to cover both books.
- All rewards include a copy of the e-book in both Kindle (mobi) and e-pub formats.
- Paperback rewards for New Zealand and Australian backers will be signed and personalized by author E.G. Wilson.
- Paperback rewards to US and other non-NZ/AUS backers will include a signed and personalized book plate from the author.
- Every Kickstarter-Edition Hardcover copy will be signed, personalized, and numbered by the author, regardless of backer location.
Note that prices are set in US dollars - check to see which currency you have displayed.
Add-ons: Want extra copies? We think they'd make great gifts.
- Add $20 USD per paperback to your [Voiceless: Timaru Pick-Up] (or higher) pledge.
- Add $100 USD per hardcover to your [Special Kickstarter-Edition Hardcover] (or higher) pledge - this does not include additional acknowledgment beyond what is offered in the reward.
- No additional shipping fees for these additional copies if shipped to US/NZ. For all other countries, add $10 USD per book.
- These copies can be personalized. You will be able to provide personalization requests in your post-campaign survey.
- Any questions? Just send a message and we'll help with the details.
DUOLOGY Stretch Goal: $6000 USD
The minimum goal for this Kickstarter will guarantee that we can fully publish the first book in the Voiceless Duology. If we can reach the $6000 USD mark, we will be able to produce both books without additional campaigns.
If this happens, we will:
- Add new rewards to include both books in the duology.
- Upgrade the [Special Kickstarter-Edition Hardcover] reward to a complete duology edition, doubling the size of this book.
- Upgrade the [Name a Character], [For Fellow Authors], and [Author's Hero] rewards to include e-copies of both books.
Note: All rewards starting with [Voiceless: ] provide copies of and rewards related to Book 1, Voiceless, only.
All costs will go directly into the production of this book. In addition to fulfilling the rewards and shipping costs, the pledges will cover developmental editing, line editing, cover art, and an author’s royalty - because we believe authors deserve to be paid for their work.
Risks and challenges
The series is already drafted, has been edited once, and the author is one of the hardest-working people we've met! We have also run and delivered on several successful publishing Kickstarter projects. So we believe the risk is low - there are no external dependencies on the completion of the project, outside of the author and the Atthis Arts team. If you have any questions, ask us.
One caveat - it's hard to predict the exact release date not knowing whether we'll reach the stretch goal to publish the whole duology or not. Our estimated delivery date would likely "stretch" along with that goal. That is a problem we'd love to have, and we hope you agree.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)