Thank you for visiting our project. We have a unique fantasy novel full of magic, dreams, hope, and the connections that bind us — and we need your help in order to print it in full offset-printed fantasy novel glory. This campaign is to enable the production costs of Book 2 of the Shkode Trilogy: The Fettered Flame.
If you love fantasy, read on. If you don’t, it’s different - you may like it! Read on anyway!
** If you aren't sure, then before you leave, click that reminder ★ near the top right **
If you’re new to the trilogy, please join us! There are rewards starting at $10 where you can get both books: The Banished Craft (shipped at campaign close) and then The Fettered Flame (shipped when complete).
Backstory on the relaunch: In case you’re wondering why this is a relaunch—we ran a Kickstarter project in October 2015 to pay for the editing and illustration of The Fettered Flame. Despite tremendous support, we didn’t reach our funding goal and so we did not receive the nearly five thousand dollars pledged. In November, we ran a mini-relaunch selling copies of existing books only, and raised enough funds to pay for the developmental editing of The Fettered Flame. However, the money that we would have invested in the printing and publications costs was spent on several other expensive items, to include full line edits and cover illustration. So, in a sense we are reversing the crowd funding from the original plan - instead of getting your help with the editing and illustration, we now need your help to produce the final book. This includes printer set-up costs and printing Advanced Reading Copies to help promote and get early reviews for the book. This is all very expensive, so your support is necessary. Every dollar we receive on this project will go directly into the costs of the project.
What is the Shkode series? It’s unconventional fantasy writing that doesn’t easily fit into a marketing bin. But that’s why we love it and why we think we have something different to offer you. For fantasy fans, it’s got wizards, magic, and dragons as we doubt you’ve seen them before! It’s even got a four-dimensional narrator for a touch of mathematical fiction. It’s also written by a vegan and equalist, who enjoys exploring the human themes that make us who we are, including culture, gender, race, violence, and the connections between us and the world. So it’s really something different. The Banished Craft has a nearly five-star rating on Amazon!
What is Spireseeker? This was Bell’s first novel. It’s an epic journey full of magic, talking animals, and genderless elves, full of heart and passion. It’s also a bit trippy; we admit it! Despite being a first novel from an engineer-turned-author, it has a loyal following of fans who love the characters and the book’s magical qualities. This future cult classic has a 4.2 rating on Goodreads, and we adore it.
Who is E.D.E. Bell? Most of all, she loves fantasy. She believes fantasy can transport us away from the stresses and woes of everyday life and bring us closer to our own passions and imagination. She also loves art, and has supported well over one hundred Kickstarter campaigns on her personal account, in order to help other artists’ dreams come true. She also loves to write. She’s arrived here by an unusual path: she has a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, works in the technical intelligence field as a strategic advisor, and has three kids. She is from Michigan and Ohio, and also lived in Virginia for eight years. She is a passionate vegan and feels strongly about issues such as gender identity, human equality, and compassion. Her writing is pro-female, pro-male, pro-trans, pro-queer, pro-everybody, and features non-traditional, including vegan and LGBTQ, heroes. For example, the main protagonist is a 29 year old, female, person of color, wizard.
- If you have questions, please message us or send an email to email@example.com
- Name a character awards will be included in the final version of the third book when it is released, even though copies of that final book (it’s not written yet) are not offered as a reward through this campaign.
- The print rewards being offered (if we succeed!) are high quality offset-printed books with foil-stamped linen covers and dust jackets. We are really proud of them and they are definitely gift quality.
- All hardcover rewards and add-ons will include options for signature and/or personalization.
- You can add more books to any level. See the table below for details:
We think there’s something for everyone in The Fettered Flame:
- More wizards and dragons: What happens to Atesh, Cor, Jwala, and the others? Find out in The Fettered Flame.
- Big plot twists: We can’t tell you! But each of the first three chapters has a huge change of events!
- Gender themes: If you like gender themes, you should love this book. Gender-role-defying characters, gay heroes, a transgendered dragon, and we’re even serving some drag.
- Vegan themes: Whether you’re a fellow vegan, a supporter of compassion for animals, or just an open-minded person who supports diverse writing, show some love for vegan heroes and themes. The author is a proud vegan and would love your support. Learn more about animal welfare themes in Bell's writing.
- Thought-provoking subject matter: Like we said, it’s a little of everything. Dimensional theory, philosophy, non-violence / ahimsa, mental illness, class structure, cultural prejudice, on and on.
- Diverse heroines: Fantasy needs heroines of all types. Ours include a magic-wielding woman of color, two brave blue dragonessi, and an aging doctor with a grumpy streak — none of whom have a focus of sexualization.
Note from the author for backers interested in veganism / non-violence / LGBTQ themes: While Book 1 (The Banished Craft) featured gender equality and cultural themes, the three themes listed above are more prominent in The Fettered Flame. So please keep that in mind when you read Book 1: Book 2 really packs the punch. (Ironic metaphor alert!) The story builds - so don't give up on me too early. : ) And if you aren't interested in those themes, don't worry; there's plenty else for you to enjoy.
Still not sure? That’s alright. We really appreciate you giving this project a look. Could we ask you to mark a reminder on this project, and in the meantime follow E.D.E. Bell:
Funds Needed: Because the original Kickstarter failed and the mini-relaunch covered developmental edits only, we’ve already invested thousands of dollars into this project to get to this point. Offset printing and initial publication/promotion are expensive, so we need you to help us go the rest of the way. Remember, the amount pledged isn’t anywhere near the amount available for these expenses – as a lot of the funds go into providing backers the printed books and other rewards we think you will love, in addition to shipping and fees, which consume a lot of the total.
The Kickstarter funds cover:
Base amount: $5200: With a successful Kickstarter project, we will be able to complete proofreading costs for the book, offset printing costs, production and shipping, and basic marketing.
Stretch Goal: $7500: At this level, we will have additional resources for more robust marketing of the project. As thanks, we will produce and distribute Kickstarter-only limited edition swag. (More about that if we get close.)
Stretch Goal: $20000: If we reach this stretch goal, we will have covered our full costs and will also be able to produce an audio book version of both The Banished Craft and The Fettered Flame. If we reach this goal, every backer will receive a downloadable copy of these two audio books in addition to their selected rewards.
What reviewers had to say about Shkode Book 1: The Banished Craft
“A wonderfully delightful and deeply imaginative tale of struggle and the quest for knowledge, set in a well-developed and complex high fantasy setting.” -G.S. Jennsen, author of Science-Fiction saga Aurora Rhapsody
“I love Bell’s sensitive and insightful exploration of compassion, connection, and relationships. The Banished Craft provides layers of thought-provoking ideas as well as good old-fashioned escapism.” -Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, bestselling author of The 30-Day Vegan Challenge
- “epic fantasy that is definitely epic” – Candace’s Book Blog
- “If you enjoy epic journeys, this is a book for you”– Girl of 1000 Wonders
- “fun, different and exciting. Definitely a book worth reading.” – Maureen’s Books
- “a layered masterpiece of epic fantasy” – Cover2CoverBlog
- “a truly epic fantasy . . . lovely” – Bibliobibuli
- “my first 5 star in over 2 years” – Matryoschka Heritage
Check out more reviews of The Banished Craft on Goodreads.
Add Ons: Don't see a reward that gets you exactly what you would like? Just add the amount listed below to your pledge to add copies to your reward.
Risks and challenges
Risks are very low. The book is written and edited and the funds needed are to print, produce, and market. We’ve successfully delivered two hardcover novels based on Kickstarter projects in the past. Besides, this isn’t our first Kickstarter project for this book. You know we’re serious.
Note on Limited Edition reward levels: There are 25 Limited Edition copies available of The Fettered Flame (to be signed/dated at time of release) and 11 copies (signed/dated in August 2015) of The Banished Craft. While we will monitor the reward levels and close tiers as appropriate, limited editions will be signed and distributed in order of reward level first (highest to lowest dollar amount) and then by date backed within each tier. If a Limited Edition is not available prior to a tier being closed, we will work with the backer on options for a fair substitution or the ability to change their pledge.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)