This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
A crazy and dangerous adventure in the post-apocalyptic Soviet Russia.
A crazy and dangerous adventure in the post-apocalyptic Soviet Russia. Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
About this project
The deterioration in relations between Eastern and Western blocs in the 1979 has led to a full-blown Armageddon between nuclear powers in the year 1986. The War was swift, devastating and brutal… The fact that humanity persevered was miraculous.
Nineteen years have passed and it’s 2005. Both once great Empires and their allies now lie in ruins, but on top of those ruins new civilizations are slowly emerging...
This story takes place on a small patch of land in the south part of the USSR where you take the role of an undercover operative from a secret bunker society called ATOM... Your mission is to find any traces of an expedition that recently stopped contacting the main base...
ATOM is a passion project. It will be finished no matter what. But, with your help we will be able to do it much faster, as well as add more interesting content to the final game! But we don't want to make unsubstantiated statements so feel free to download the latest build and check out ATOM for yourself! Thank you for your attention!
↓Link to DEMO below↓
- Nonlinearity: ATOM is an open world role-playing game! You are not going through a corridor, you are investigating a mystery. And this could be achieved in numerous ways. There are no artificial boundaries in the world of ATOM. Oh, and there are no "essential characters" in the game. So everybody is a "fair game" ;)
- Characters: There will be more than 300 characters in the game. ALL of them with their unique personalities, portraits and dialogues!
- Encounters and Quests: There are numerous side missions, hidden adventure-like puzzles and secrets scattered around the Wastes. Even the smallest tasks can lead to a big and intricate side story, open some details about the world or somehow interconnect with the main quest! And of course, like in every self-respecting RPG there's always more than one way of dealing with them.
- Combat: A turn-based combat system isn't just a nod to the legendary generation of CRPGs. For us, it's also an aesthetic choice. What's the point of combat, when you can't enjoy your every thought-through move, your every step, shot or punch? What's the point of victory, when it wasn't precisely planned in a cunning strategic move?
- Weapons and Items: There will be more than 30 available weapons in the full version of the game. Soviet weaponry, makeshift shivs and guns as well as some secret weapons from the Western bloc the existence of which in the game world will be neatly tied to the lore!
- Soundtrack: The soundtrack is heavily inspired by Eduard Artemyev and other Soviet era electronic composers, ranging from ambient to synth-wave!
This small piece of ironically private property on the communist soil will become a place to hang your hat, cook some food and rest your bones, after a rough day among the Wastes... and it doesn't end there!..
Your very own in-game house and a special questline await!
It’s only natural in a survival situation to use whatever is close at hand. To represent this aspect of wilderness and urban survival, we are planning a simple but effective crafting system for the game.
Collect all manner of things and try to combine them to create something new… And who knows, maybe one day it will help you in a tight spot! Or seal your fate.
You can experiment with different combinations of items, but the success of the end result will be determined by the Tinkering skill.
It’s easy to make an automatic male to female protagonist transition, by changing “he” for “she” at specific places in each line of dialogue.
However, this is not what we have in mind. Role-playing characters of different genders should come with slightly different and sometimes even unique experiences and varied story telling. Different approaches to solving the same quest situations are also needed.
Our aim is to make certain NPCs react to male and female protagonists differently, say different things, act differently according to the gender the player picked at the beginning of the game.
This needs a complete overhaul of most dialogues in the game – a task which isn’t that easy, seeing how we already have 3000+ lines, and the game isn’t even finished, not by a long shot. However, with extra donations, it will become possible for our writer team to start working full-time to make it happen.
DRM FREE COPY + STEAM KEY - you will receive a DRM FREE copy of ATOM (approximately in February, 2018) as well as the STEAM COPY for early access (approximately in august, 2017).
Soundtrack & Wallpaper Digital Download Pack - you will receive an unforgettable game soundtrack and an HD Wallpaper.
Special "Ranger" bundle - your version of the game will come with a unique model for the protagonist - "Ranger", trait and a special starting item!
Special "Chosen" bundle - your version of the game will come with a unique model for the protagonist - "Chosen", trait and a special starting item!
Special bonus - your photo will be used to create one of the portraits for the protagonist!
You will become a part of the game world - your chosen short phrase will be written on one of the city walls!
Your name will be used for a unique NPC - one of the NPC will be named after you.
Your picture will be turned into a portrait for one of the NPC - one of the NPC will have a picture that you will send us as a portrait.
You will have your very own Quest in the game - in addition to the previous rewards you will have an opportunity to design your Quest (all in the boundaries of our post-soviet game world, of course).
Chernobyl tour - two-day trip to the Chernobyl zone and the town of Pripyat. An eye-opening experience. Hotel, food and guide included. 18+! (Transfer to Ukraine not included).
Project ATOM started back in 2008 when a group of young enthusiasts decided to make a Fallout inspired RPG set in post-nuclear USSR. The project continued for a couple of years, but then gradually died down due to lack of experience, time and other unrelated problems. But at the same time it pushed us to pursue careers in the gaming industry.
In later years members of the ATOM Team worked on such original titles as "World of Tanks", "World of Warplanes", a series of award-winning adventure games "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and many more!
At the same time we never abandoned the idea of making a classic CRPG and in 2015 we have re-kindled the development of ATOM. Now as a team of skilled programmers, writers and artists, we are more than ready and able to make this dream game a reality!
We kept our original idea of a post-apocalyptic setting as an homage to our roots and as a sign of appreciation to the Fallout series (as well as the first Wasteland game) that moved us to start the development in the first place, and focused all of our attention on cultivating a unique atmosphere and creating all kinds of crazy and complex stories that could happen in a world such as this.
To us project ATOM is a Love letter to the games, books and movies that inspired us throughout the years, but with enough of our own ideas to make it interesting for us to develop and for you to play!
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges
What are the risks and challenges?
We are in this for the long haul. However, despite our best efforts, there’s always a chance that something will go wrong. Such is the nature of game development: Delays are sometimes unavoidable, even if they often result in better games.
1. We might not deliver the game on time. None of us are new to deadlines, sleepless nights and coffee-binges. In fact most of the people on our team have already delivered commercially successful games on time and in great condition. However, no true professional will ever tell you, that he is fail-proof. There is always a chance Project ATOM will postpone it's set final release date. At least to get an extra coat of polish.
2. We might have delays in delivering our reward promises. The reward delivery channels are checked and double checked, and even the top-tier Chernobyl tour reward has already been prepared in front and awaits the especially generous backer who will claim it. However, there's always a possibility that the reward delivery could be delayed due to technical issues.
3. We are used to dealing with budgets large and small. Financially speaking, ATOM's budget has been calculated precisely. However, a drastic change in rates of currency, financial depression and other unforseen economic consequences may rob our game of some of the promised features. The odds of that are amazingly low, but it's only fair to mention that as a risk.
4. There's always that chance of an Apocalypse happening for real. In a force majeure event of something wiping out the whole of humanity (or even just the major part of the team) the development will stop until we rebuild from the ground up.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- All gone!