What Is Atlantic Saltworks?
Tell me more about your salt!
Pure. Sea. Salt. It's as simple as that. Unlike commercially produced sea salt, Atlantic Saltworks all-natural flake finishing salt has no added chemicals - no added anything! Our light, crunchy salt is a great complement to most any dish. From the summer's ripest garden tomato, to your grandmother's hearty beef stew on a cold winter day, the naturally briny and clean flavor of the crystals makes food pop. Simply take a pinch of the delicate flakes and crush them between your fingers and sprinkle - you only need a little bit! It will soon become the only salt you have on your table.
Some of our favorite uses for our salt include seasoning meats and veggies before cooking, adding a flourish to most any dish right before serving, and using it as an unexpected and yummy addition to sweets, especially caramels and baked goods.
Why are we doing a Kickstarter?
We are doing a Kickstarter because we need to open our own production facility in order to keep up with growing demand!
We are happy to say, less than eight months after making our first ever sale at a small open studio event, demand is growing rapidly! So, in order for us to take the next big step to becoming a full-time business, we need to open our own production facility! Exciting and daunting at the same time, right? We currently use a shared commercial kitchen and we have already outgrown it. This new space will allow us to expand our production capabilities and move everything to one location in Gloucester, Massachusetts, where we can continue to grow.
- Our hand-harvested water comes from Gloucester! We tested out many spots along the North Shore of Massachusetts, and we decided Gloucester’s water made the best tasting salt – plain and simple.
- The history and story surrounding the city itself is uniquely salty: Gloucester is America’s oldest fishing port and was once the world’s largest. Its main export for centuries was salted fish, but the invention of refrigeration in the early 20th Century eliminated the need to preserve fish with salt. We hope reintroducing salt will play a small part in helping support and define the next chapter in Gloucester’s unique maritime history. Quite frankly, we think that’s pretty cool.
- Gloucester has embraced us! From city leadership to excited customers, we couldn’t be more thankful for the ongoing support and help the community has given us. Thank you, Gloucester, we can’t wait to become a permanent part of the community!
Who is Atlantic Saltworks?
We are Heather and Alison, two friends who met in college a long time ago - it was the early 90s! Fast forward a few decades to late summer 2013, where we found ourselves wanting to put our recently earned MBAs to work in order to create a meaningful and profitable business.
One afternoon, as we returned from the farmers market with dinner, we realized everything we were about to eat was all-natural and local, except for the salt. So, we marched across the street, straight into the harbor and got a gallon of seawater to boil it down. Even though our knowledge of basic chemistry told us seawater would yield salt, we couldn’t believe it as we watched the water evaporate and salt appear. It was like MAGIC! Atlantic Saltworks was born right then and there, and our lives as “saltrepreneurs” began.
Making great salt is our absolute passion. We are excited to continue to grow and expand the geographic reach of Atlantic Saltworks. We want everyone, from home cooks to world-class chefs to love our salt. Our long-term goal is to create a company that makes great salt that is enjoyed worldwide. We are confident we are on the right path to make that happen! Most importantly, we want to make you all proud of our accomplishments so someday you can look back and say you were part of Atlantic Saltworks' success story!
Atlantic Saltworks in the news...
Not only has the response to our salt been great, but we’ve been lucky enough to earn some valuable media coverage as well.
- Gloucester Daily Times “Cape Ann sea salt hits the market” (Front page and picked up by the Associated Press!)
- Gloucester Daily Times “Editorial: More innovation on our waterfronts”
- Wicked Local “North Shore entrepreneurs mine the sea”
- Look for us soon in the Boston Globe food section and in the Summer 2014 edition of Edible Boston.
Need more information?
We’d love to chat further if you want to know more about us, our company, or our products. Feel free to drop us a line! And, of course we will be sure to keep you updated regularly as our progress moves forward. Or, you can always find us and reach out online:
First and foremost, thanks to you, our salty supporters, we love you!
In addition, our thanks go out to Culinarium for their salt cellars, Turtle Alley for their chocolate, Mike Glueckert, who designed our logo, Casey Grenier, for lots of photo and video help, and finally, Matt Deal for letting us use the song he wrote and recorded that we used for our video soundtrack!
Risks and challenges
We are keenly aware that when transforming an empty space into something new that there will be hurdles to overcome. We have tried to mitigate as many risks as possible.
Doing our Homework: We have already been working with with commercial developers, contractors, and most importantly, city departments who will be approving our new space. Proactive communication throughout the process and establishing positive relationships is key to avoiding any last-minute surprises.
Identifying the Right Space: We need to find a place that isn’t too big or too small to start. We have already informally identified the space and plan to sign the lease soon.
Working Within a Timeline: The biggest challenge we see is Murphy’s Law pushing back our opening date. As we go through the process, we will keep all of you informed, especially those of you that will be joining us for tours, so we can all plan accordingly!
Fulfilling Kickstarter Rewards: We are already in business. So, there's no question about whether or not we can make salt - we do it today. We are ready for you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)