About this project
Treeverse will follow Brian French and Will Koomjian of Ascending the Giants on an unparalleled adventure as they attempt a pioneering effort to navigate a one kilometer transect through the forest canopy over five days. Set within a visually spectacular oak savanna landscape in Northwest Oregon, this film is primed to engage audiences with stunning cinematography and an exhilarating adventure story. The Treeverse will take an intimate look at the friendship, trust, and teamwork between Brian and Will essential to their success, and the innovative methods and equipment they must design and deploy to accomplish their goal.
The objectives of this film are as follows:
1. To showcase a vulnerable ecosystem in Oregon, the oak savanna, of which there are few intact forests left of a size through which an adventure like Treeverse could take place. This project will build upon the efforts of Ascending the Giants to aid forest conservation with a non-confrontational approach.
2. To appeal to a human interest and appreciation for adventure, exploration, and overcoming challenging conditions. Our research indicates that no expeditions of this scope and duration have ever even been attempted.
3. To advance and feature low impact and Leave No Trace tree climbing techniques and tools, that may be utilized by the professional climbing and arboriculture communities.
4. To advance innovative and unconventional filmmaking tools and techniques, combining unique perspectives with stunning cinematography.
5. To establish the experience, techniques, and resources necessary for a more comprehensive canopy trek through the unique Indonesian rainforest that is home to the Orangutan.
Uncage the Soul Productions has partnered with Ascending the Giants since 2007 to document their work through video and has produced a distinguished archive of champion tree footage, some of which was featured in two CNN stories on the project. A short documentary on the work of Ascending the Giants in locating and measuring a new Oregon State Sitka Spruce ChampionTree won several best short documentary film festival awards and was selected for the Leave No Trace Award in the 2009 Adventure Film Festival. Uncage the Soul Productions has most recently produced a short documentary on the sport of caving, which won Best in Show in the 2010 National Speleological Society Video Salon and is currently touring with the Banff Mountain Film Festival and the Wild and Scenic Film Festival. Uncage the Soul is coordinating the production of Treeverse.
View the Uncage the Soul Productions website at http://www.uncagethesoul.com
To capture the Treeverse, three crews will be assembled. A rigging crew will travel in advance of Brian and Will preparing rope systems into the canopy that will enable the camera crew to quickly be positioned for dynamic shots from the forest canopy. As Brian and Will pass by camera positions, the rigging crew will be dismantling those rope systems and again repositioning them ahead of the action. A camera crew of at least five photographers will be assigned positions and times for shooting, 24 hours a day throughout the five days. Production will use Canon DSLR cameras, and deploy multiple HD POV cameras. Every effort will be made to assure the highest quality photography and audio using the most advanced camera techniques and tools available. Some of the tools that will be utilized to capture dynamic shots of the Treeverse include rope zip line and elevator systems, sliders, steadi-cam, and a remotely operated camera-mounted helicopter. And lastly, a photography crew coordinated by Freesolo Photography will be shooting production stills.
Funds raised through this campaign will be applied directly to support the production of Treeverse. A large volunteer production crew is being assembled and some direct costs incurred during the five days of filming will include transportation of crew, food, and purchase of gear and equipment for the Treeverse athletes, rigging crew, and camera crew, that has not been secured through in-kind donations and sponsorships. Additional expenses will include rental of specialized camera equipment.
We are deeply appreciative of your support. Be assured that your contributions to our project will be utilized to produce a uniquely exceptional, breath-taking, and inspiring adventure documentary.
Will Koomjian and Brian French Ascending the Giants
John Waller Uncage the Soul Productions
Support this project
- (27 days)