Since our launch in 2015, Bamboozle has always had the goal to offer a product that is resilient enough to meet the needs of daily kitchen tasks while remaining less harmful to the environment than its plastic counterpart. Today marks another step forward as we are proud to unveil a new material called Astrik.
Astrik is made from bamboo fiber and a PLA bio-plastic. All raw materials are grown and harvested from the earth, rather than extracted from it. Because of this we can use farms local to processing plants and factories to reduce emissions-heavy transport to a fraction of the distance. Creating PLA itself only emits a fifth of greenhouse gasses that traditional plastics do. The final product is sturdy, safe for both the dishwasher and microwave, and composts into the earth within 2 years once you decide to throw it away.
We are launching this new material in the form of a 3-piece mixing bowl set. These bowls feature unique features, such as:
Risks and challenges
One of the challenges that new companies may face with a project like ours is the process of sourcing the sustainable material and then manufacturing it. At Bamboozle, we are proud to be both the brand owner and the sourcing company for the material. This allows for us to have a greater amount of control over the production process. In addition, we have maintained a long-standing relationship with our factory, which houses the full capability to produce our kitchenware.
To assure the highest possible quality that meets our metrics, we submit our factory to annual audits by multiple third parties to ensure a professional and safe environment. We are always striving to improve the sustainability of our factory, from re-using old machinery for our injection molding process, to re-purposing the bamboo scraps that were destined for the incinerator. Because of this relationship, we have already started manufacturing the bowls. They ship to your front door before Christmas 2018.
Because we are at a fully functional prototype we have already overcome a few key issues. The material issue with Astrik pertaining to food safety, durability, and composability have been tested for. Engineering issues in translating our design to a mass producible product have been worked out through a process of revisions and alterations. Production capacity allocation has already been done, and therefore there is no chance in a delayed start to manufacturing.
What is left is the actual manufacturing and logistics:
1. Production delay: This can occur for various reasons concerning the injection molding machines. Our extensive manufacturing experience has taught us that we must always have a backup ready to accept the mold and continue production with minimum downtime.
2. Quality control error: At times a flaw can be found during production. As we have already produced numerous production samples we are confident that most quality issues have been resolved. However, a QC team at the factory is ready to examine each product for the entire length of the run.
3. Container vessel delays: Inbound shipping has been booked for the first production. While rare, delays at sea do happen. Delays at port are more common with customs stalling the shipment for inspection. A logistics team at our shipping partner, as well as in-house reps, monitor the vessel’s journey daily so that you can be appraised of any delays that may occur.
4. Internal shipping delay: With the success of this project there may be a massive strain on our warehouse and staff to label and send every bowl set. To mitigate this, we have created shipping-friendly packing so that we can slap a label on each box for maximum efficiency. Labels will be provided by our shipping partners before the container even arrives at our warehouse.
5. Product Packaging: We insert a material in-between each bowl to prevent any scuffing damage during transportation. The packing material is made from re-purposed cardboard, which we put through a special shredding machine.
We are on Kickstarter because the mass market is slow to adopt eco-friendly materials. Your support today will show a demand for a more sustainable future. Allowing us to explore more innovative materials and products.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)