WHY WE WANT TO MAKE “ASSIGNED SEX”
According to a survey conducted by the National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force in 2010, 41 percent of transgender people in the United States have attempted to commit suicide. These alarming rates of suicide are a direct result of transgendered individuals traveling the road to self-discovery alone.
There are injustices at every turn along the dark, twisted path to self-discovery for transgendered individuals. Our society has a lack of understanding about individuals who vary from culturally conventional gender roles and are consequently blind to most of these obstacles. By sharing the personal stories of those who have discovered their individuality, we unveil the hurdles that gender variant individuals face and force society to take responsibility.
The “Assigned Sex” Documentary Project:
- Identifies problems within the transgender community
- Develops awareness and empathy for individuals that don’t conform to the male/female gender binary
- Takes action to end discrimination against those that vary from culturally defined gender roles
- Identifies support resources for transgender individuals that are located within New York City
WE NEED YOUR HELP
Up until this point, we've funded this project completely out of our own pockets. We believe in this story that much. But, we've officially broken the bank. We need your help to raise the money necessary to keep the cameras rolling.
Here's exactly what your generous contributions will pay for:
- Sound design, sound editing, and mixing the sound
- Creating the musical score
- Procuring archival footage
- Polishing of the picture elements: color correction, titles
- Transfer to digital projection format
- Marketing and advertising for screenings in select cities
- Press and promotional materials
HOW ELSE CAN YOU HELP?
If you want to go the extra mile to help us out, one of the best things you can do is share this campaign on Facebook, or Twitter, and email your friends, family, and co-workers about it. Spread the word and keep the momentum going. And soon enough, we’ll have documentary for you to enjoy!
WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR YOUR SUPPORT
We're offering all kinds of great stuff in return for your support. The more you give, the better you get! Of course, we appreciate donations of any size. Here are just some of the items available; you can see all the rewards over to the right:
- A Limited Edition "Assigned Sex" Water Bottle
- A Limited Edition "Assigned Sex" T-shirt
- Your name in the credits
- A High Definition download of the completed film
- A signed DVD copy of the completed film
- A ticket to our exclusive Assigned Sex Fundraising Gala on May 18, 2013
- Lunch with the director or producer and one of the cast members.
- Two VIP Tickets to the national premiere
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What happens if we don’t raise our goal? Kickstarter is all-or-nothing. If we only raise $4,999 of our $5,000 goal, we don't get to keep any of the money we raise and we go away empty handed. As a donor, your pledge does not count until our entire goal is successfully met. Your credit card will not be charged until after the campaign is over.
Can we raise more than our goal?
YES! There is no limit to the amount of funds we can raise, and any additional funds will be put to good use, as there is much to do once we complete the documentary. If we exceed the $5,000 goal then we can arrange screenings at local schools. We want to ensure that this film reaches the audiences that have the most at stake.
Risks and challenges
At this point, we are more than halfway through shooting. Filming is expensive, and then we will have long hours in the editing room to finance before we have a finished documentary. We have great confidence that your investment in our work will result in a powerful documentary that will add to our collective understanding of transgenderism.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (27 days)