IT WAS METAL is a comics anthology and a heavy metal album! The anthology features ten stories, each based on a song from the album. The music is by heavy metal band A SOUND OF THUNDER. The comic features the following creators:
- BARRY KITSON (Amazing Spider-Man, Adventures of Superman)
- BEN TEMPLESMITH (Fell, 30 Days of Night)
- BOB HALL (Shadowman, West Coast Avengers)
- ROBERTO DE LA TORRE (Shadowman, Daredevil)
- RAFER ROBERTS (Plastic Farm, A&A: The Adventures of Archer & Armstrong)
- BRIAN REBER (X-Men: Legacy, X-O Manowar)
- LOVERN KINDZIERSKI (Hellblazer, Green Arrow)
- MIKE RATERA (Conan the Conqueror, Heavy Metal)
- KENDALL GOODE (WWE Comics, The Doorman)
- MOSTAFA MOUSSA (Godzilla: Rulers of Earth)
- BRITTANY PEZZILLO (Bettie Page, Green Hornet)
- MARC GRAS COTS (Sgt. Kabukiman: NYPD)
- RACHEL PERCIPHONE (Cosmic Love: A Tribute to Florence + the Machine)
- TRAV HART (The Corpsewalker)
- JOSEPH SCHMALKE (The Infernal Pact, Whore of Babylon)
- DIEGO L. PARADA (Impresor)
- T.E. DICKASON (The Illusion Queen)
- ROBERT DANIEL RYAN
- NINA OSEGUEDA (A Sound of Thunder)
- JOSH SCHWARTZ (A Sound of Thunder)
In addition to ten short stories, the book also features complete album lyrics, additional pin-ups, photos, and more. The book is 80 pages. We've chosen a square binding, super-matte cover with spot UV, and 80 lb. super-matte interior pages for a deluxe presentation.
The print run for the first edition of the comic is 1500 copies. 1200 copies will feature the main cover (pictured above) by Dusan Markovic.
We have also ordered 300 limited blank sketch variants. These are available either blank or personalized with a sketch. Check out all the rewards to see the available options!
The IT WAS METAL music album is available in digital, CD and vinyl formats:
- DIGITAL: Professionally mastered 320kbps MP3s w/ encoded album artwork. (Lossless .wav and .flac formats will be available. Message us for details.)
- CD: Compact disc in 6-panel super-matte digipak with 4-panel booklet. (Full album lyrics are included in the comic.)
- VINYL: The ultimate format. Two 12-inch 33rpm records on black and orange splatter vinyl, housed in a triple-gatefold sleeve that folds out to create a 36"w x 12"h poster. Limited edition of 300 copies.
ORIGINAL ART & ART PROOFS
Rewards available for this campaign include original art pages and limited edition art proofs!
ORIGINAL ART: We were able to obtain 38 pages of original art from the It Was Metal anthology. For the uninitiated, original comic pages are drawn at 11" x 17" and later scaled down for print. These large, one-of-a-kind pieces make great collectibles and framed art for your home or office! Some of these pages are by the most seasoned, well-known superstars on the book, while others are from up-and-coming young talent. We have listed these pages at various price points so that everyone will have an opportunity to own a piece of original art. Scroll through the images below to find your favorite page, and then see the rewards column to find the corresponding reward.
ARTIST'S PROOFS: For those who may not be able to afford a page of original art but still want a one-of-a-kind piece from It Was Metal, we are offering artist's proofs. These are strictly limited to ONE PROOF PER PAGE. Each proof will be numbered "1/1" and signed by the band. Message us directly to claim a proof for the page of your choosing, then pledge and select the generic $50 artist's proof reward. We will keep track of your page choice.
Risks and challenges
The content of both the anthology and the album is already complete. The comic is currently at the printer, with printing scheduled to be completed by May 25th for an on-time delivery to backers around the official release date on June 15th.
Since we owe large balances to the vinyl manufacturer and comic printer, being unable to pay those balances on time would prevent us from using those companies again, and would delay or prevent us from starting new projects.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter