ADDRESSES NEEDED. Woot!
You have probably asked yourself, 'Hey, why is it taking Ashmae so long to get her children's book done.' Trust me, I have asked myself the same question a thousand times. And honestly, here are a few of the things I've figured:
1. Pursuing the things you've always dreamed of doing is inevitably unpredictable, sometimes unwieldy, and boy is the learning curve steep. There is simply no other way to make things happen than to make a few mistakes and learn as you go.
2. I never imagined that I would have the support of 500 people when I started out this project on Kickstarter. I thought I would maybe be sending out 50 books, so while the large number is so exciting to me, it also means that my tiny living room is filled to the brim with packing supplies and everything has taken just a bit longer than I anticipated in the beginning.
3. It is always worth it to spend the extra time to get things to as perfect a state as you know how to make them, while at a certain point letting yourself be finished and okay with what you've done. There were parts of this project I ended up re-doing a dozen times, and I'm glad I did because I think the final project is much better because of it. That is not to say that the final books are perfect, they are not. Rather, they are the very best I am capable of producing right now, and I think future books can only get better from here.
4. Getting a book ready for press and printing it just takes a really long time. I had no idea. Getting two books was even more daunting.
5. It is both hard and wonderful to work and be a mom at the same time. It is important to me that my two sweet babies have a mom who works hard to pursue things she loves, so even if it makes my life a little wild, I think it is worth it for our family. The birth of sweetest Thea Harper in the middle of this project presented some logistical challenges as recovery was longer than I expected, but somehow, we made it! I know that many moms supported this project. I'd love to be in touch to hear how you make things happen (after everything is sent out:).
Lastly, a project like this is not singular in any way. The printer I worked with is a sweet, very sweet, man in his late 60's. He did things that baffled me, like only taking cashier's checks, but as I spoke on the phone with him for the last time to confirm the shipment, he said to me, "Sweetheart, the making of a book is like the birth of a baby, it's a long and hard process, and you've made a very nice little book." I was so teary I couldn't respond properly because I realized that there are so many good people working hard and honestly, and they rarely get credit. So, thank you for all the people involved with making this happen. It takes the support, expertise, advice and work of dozens. I've had the help of designers, printers, advice-givers, editors, bloggers, friends, family, in particular an extremely patient husband, and many other people who don't get nearly enough credit for the good work they do.
Thank you all for your patience and support. Really. I've received several kind and boosting messages as I've worked over the past months. The books are on their way to my house and I've spent many late nights (with that very kind husband), getting packages ready to send out by the first week of November. I've sent out a survey to get your addresses, so please respond! I'm so excited to get things out to you.
Thank you again and please contact me with any thoughts, questions or concerns.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
A warm thank you for your support. Updates on the progress of the book.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Full digital PDF copy of the book, in addition to all previous rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Printed Board Book with signature, 5x7 Postcard print of book artwork, in addition to all previous rewards.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
Set of five 1" pins of book characters, in addition to all previous rewards.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
Printable PDF paper cut-out puppet show with characters from book, in addition to all previous rewards.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $30 or moreYou selected
Archival quality, 8x10 giclee print of one of the scenes from the book, in addition to all previous rewards.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $40 or moreYou selected
Printed board book sent to a classroom of your choice, in addition to all previous rewards.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
6 copies of printed board book with signatures. (Note: This does not include all previous rewards)Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
One customized painting of an animal of your choice, in addition to all previous rewards.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
Customized family portrait. An original ink and watercolor depiction of your family based off a photo you email me, in addition to all previous rewards.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $600 or moreYou selected
A visit by Ashmae to a Northern California school of your choice with a reading of the book by puppets and an art and writing lesson, in addition to all previous rewards.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
A guest appearance to a classroom of your choice with a writing and art lesson, and a reading of the book with puppets, in addition to all previous rewards (except this visit supercedes the visit to a Northern California school).Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
- (35 days)