About this project
We are funded! Thank you. Let's reach the stretch goals.
- The Praedo playbook - UNLOCKED - Unlocked at $4,950 (110%). The praedo is a bandit, thief, and outlaw skilled in the art of stealth and making the most of every opportunity. When this stretch goal is unlocked, the praedo playbook will be included in both the PDF and print versions of Ruma: Dawn of Empire. New character art will also be commissioned.
- Cult of Vulcan (Hephaestus) - UNLOCKED - Unlocked at $5,175 (115%). Vulcan is the god of fire and forge. When this stretch goal is unlocked, the cult of Vulcan will be included in both the PDF and print versions of Ruma: Dawn of Empire.
- The Decanus playbook - UNLOCKED - Unlocked at $5,625 (125%). The decanus is a non-commissioned officer in the Ruman legions and commands a contubernium, a small squad of Ruman soldiers. When this stretch goal is unlocked, the praedo playbook will be included in both the PDF and print versions of Ruma: Dawn of Empire. New character art will also be commissioned.
- Cult of Artemis (Diana) - UNLOCKED - Unlocked at $5,850 (130%). Artemis is the goddess of wilderness and the hunt. When this stretch goal is unlocked, the cult of Artemis will be included in both the PDF and print versions of Ruma: Dawn of Empire.
- Additional Art - UNLOCKED - Unlocked at $6,300 (140%). When this stretch goal is unlocked, additional artwork unique to the world of Ruma will be commissioned and included in both the PDF and print versions of Ruma: Dawn of Empire.
- Cult of Hecate (Trivia) - UNLOCKED - Unlocked at $6,750 (150%). Hecate is the ancient Hellene goddess of magic and witchcraft, also known as Trivia by some Ruman followers. When the campaign reaches 150% funding, the Cult of Hecate will be included in both the PDF and print versions of Ruma: Dawn of Empire.
- The Equite playbook - UNLOCKED - Unlocked at $7,425 (165%). The equite is a Ruman nobleman and master horseman. Ruman military tactics focus on masses of well-trained infantry, but the equites are still used, and often to devastating effect on the battlefield. When the campaign reaches 165% funding, the equite playbook will be included in both the PDF and print versions of Ruma: Dawn of Empire. New character art will also be commissioned.
- The Architectus playbook - UNLOCKED - Unlocked at $8,100 (180%). The architectus is a master engineer and builder. An essential component of Ruman strategy and tactics are fortifications and siege warfare, two areas in which the architectus excels. When the campaign reaches 180% funding, the architectus playbook will be included in both the PDF and print versions of Ruma: Dawn of Empire. New character art will also be commissioned.
- Tales of Ruma - LOCKED - Unlocks at $11,250 (250%). This is the big pie-in-the-sky stretch goal. Tales of Ruma is an anthology of short stories inspired by Greek and Roman mythology. Some stories will be set in the world of Ruma. When this stretch goal is unlocked, all backers at Velite and above with receive a copy of the anthology in ebook format (mobi, ePub, and PDF). Delivery of this stretch goal will be after delivery of the Ruma: Dawn of Empire rulebook and will not delay the rulebook in any way.
Additional stretch goals may be added as we progress.
Welcome Citizen! The Ruman Empire needs your help bringing civilization to the savages.
Ruma: Dawn of Empire is a tabletop role playing game, Powered by the Apocalypse Engine, set in an alternate Roman Empire where magic and mythology exist.
Players take on roles of troops or specialists in the Ruman forces, gathered together by generals or senators into a cohort tasked with investigating or overcoming mysterious and dangerous obstacles hindering the Empire's expansion. Some will be full citizens, trained warriors or learned magi, while others may be slave gladiators or foreign skirmishers who aide the legions in their conquest.
My name is Martin Greening and this is my first Kickstarter campaign. I have backed many great games on Kickstarter over the past few years and hope to use that experience to bring forth an awesome game. I am excited to share Ruma with you, but need help with professional art, layout, and editing. Will you help me bring Ruma to life?
Since the fall of Hellas, the burgeoning Ruman Empire is the center of civilization. But the young empire is beset on all sides by adversaries, from the expanding forests of Kell and their heinous druids and unnatural creatures, to the undying lands of Aegypt and their hordes of constructs led by immortal generals.
The setting is rich in suggestions, but there is ample opportunity for each group playing Ruma to make the world their own. In fact, the game encourages this by providing a general framework of the world, but leaves much of the detail up to you. Want to change up the pantheon? Go for it. Have the Rumans discovered the Americas? Awesome.
Ruma: Dawn of Empire is powered by the awesome Apocalypse Engine, which has been used by many great games starting with D. Vincent Baker and Meguey Baker's Apocalypse World, and others such as Dungeon World by Sage La Torra and Adam Koebel, and Legacy: Life Among the Ruins by James Iles.
Players choose from one of the eight playbooks to create their characters. Each playbook provides several unique abilities.
- Augur- diviners of future possibilities.
- Decanus - leader of a squad of soldiers. (Unlocked Stretch Goal)
- Equite - a mounted noble (Unlocked Stretch Goal)
- Gladiator - slaves who specialize in arena combat.
- Hastatus - a front-rank legionnaire.
- Magus - learned practitioners of arcane magics.
- Medicus - herbalists, doctors, and medics.
- Praedo - bandits, thieves, and outlaws. (Unlocked Stretch Goal)
- Triarius - a veteran of many battles.
- Velite - glory-seeking skirmishers.
- Venator - archers, slingers, hunters, and scouts.
Players also choose one of the Ruman gods in whose cult their character has been initiated. Following their cult's teachings can grant blessings from their god.
- Athena/Minerva, Goddess of War and Tactics
- Ares/Mars, God of Violence and Murder
- Artemis/Diana, Goddess of Wilderness and the Hunt (Unlocked Stretch Goal)
- Hades/Pluto, God of Death and the Underworld
- Hecate/Trivia, Goddess of Magic and Witchcraft (Unlocked Stretch Goal)
- Hermes/Mercury, God of Travel and Messengers
- Neptune/Poseidon, God of Water and the Seas
- The Sisters, Twin Goddesses of Luck and Fortune
- Venus/Aphrodite, Goddess of Love and Beauty
- Vulcan/Hephaestus, God of Fire and Forge (Unlocked Stretch Goal)
- The Faithless - those who serve no god
Some cults use the Hellenic name for their god, some use the Ruman name. Every god/goddess in the pantheon has a cult, although some may not have very many members or be prominent on the empire's fringe.
The Quickstart rules for Ruma: Dawn of Empire are available for free at http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/208332/Ruma-Dawn-of-Empire-Quickstart-Rules
Once the campaign has ended, all backers at Velite and above will receive access to the current playtest rules and have the ability to affect the direction of the game. Your feedback is essential to making Ruma: Dawn of Empire the best it can be!
We recorded a playtest session if you have 3.5 hours to kill and/or are really curious. Big thanks to Little Shop of Magic in Las Vegas, NV for use of their game studio and help with recording. The first hour is pretty much character creation and a bit of rules intro if you want to skip that.
Also, we tried very hard to keep things PG-13, but there are a few instances we slipped. Sorry about that. It's nothing egregious. Just a word here and there.
The Ruma: Dawn of Empire rulebook will be hardcover, either 5.5" x 8.5" or 6" x 9", about 128 pages, with color exterior and black and white interior.
Fulfillment will be through DriveThruRPG. Backers of the hardcover will receive a code to purchase the book at cost once it is available. Estimated printing cost is about $10. Shipping costs are not included in the Hastatus pledge level. US shipping via media mail is included in the Triarius and higher pledge levels. Arrangements for international shipping at those levels can be made.
All backers at Velite and above will receive the PDF of the final book.
10% goes to Kickstarter and payment processing. Around half of the remaining funds will go towards a small print run for the premium tiers and for distribution. About a quarter will go towards the writers and original creators of the world. The last quarter will go towards layout, editing, and art. Some of the interior art will be stock artwork from The Forge, who's style I personally love. Stretch goals may include additional commissioned artwork.
Martin Greening - I've played role playing games for nearly 40 years and have written a few items published by Highmoon Games and Tabletop Adventures. Ruma is my first full game. I hope you'll join me in its creation. I plan to do more.
Chris Cold - Chris is a self-taught digital artist working on all kinds of projects from album and book illustrations to concept art for movies and games. His work can be seen at http://chriscold.deviantart.com.
Joseph Garcia - Joseph Garcia specializes in high contrast, grayscale, pencil drawings, and pen and ink line work. He was heavily influenced by the artists of comic books and animation, initially attracted to the bold imagery they displayed. As he grew as an artist, it was their ability to tell a story and convey emotion with a single still piece that captured his imagination. Joseph's art can be found at https://www.facebook.com/artofjosephgarcia/
Maciej Zagorski (The Forge Studios) - Maciej is an amazing artist specializing in landscapes and maps. Much of his work is published by The Forge Studios and can be found on DriveThruRPG.com.
Nathan D. Paoletta - designed the awesome logo. Nathan is a graphic and game designer. Find his stuff at ndpdesign.com
Risks and challenges
Most of the rules have been written and initial playtests are underway. Much of the artwork has been completed so the primary obstacles are delays during the layout and editing process or delays caused by stretch goals increasing the size of the book.
The physical book is being produced by DriveThruRPG's print on demand service so there should not be any delays caused by the printer themselves.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)