Do you remember when AdventureQuest was the hit game on the original 1985 NES console? Us neither. So come help us change history.
A New... Old Game!
AdventureQuest 8-Bit: Dungeons & DoomKnights is a new "zeldavania" game for your NES (or play the ROM on other platforms with an emulator.)
NES Cartridge Version
Want to play it the way it was meant to be played? Experience Dungeons & DoomKnights on a real physical cartridge for the original NES console.
Who the ### has an NES!? Aren't those from like the 80's?
No worries. Get the digital pack and get the ROM. Then you can experience the game using a compatible emulator on your computer (We are also experimenting with an emulator that you can run in your web browser).
With the ROM download, we'll also send you an instruction manual which shows you how to set up and play using an emulator on your Windows PC.
"I want to create the game I envisioned in my childhood... but featuring all of the AdventureQuest characters and monsters from yours." - Artix
We launched this on April 1st, "April Fools Day," but this is no joke!
We are running this Kickstarter campaign in order to raise funds for cartridge, box and manual production. Our friendly (and a little crazy) video game studio, Artix Entertainment, has been creating games and fun experiences through our weekly game updates for over 16 years. Backing this Kickstarter will also unlock exclusive in-game items for you in two of our online games: AdventureQuest 3D & AdventureQuest Worlds. You can learn more about our studio at www.Artix.com
Dungeons & DoomKnights tells the missing story of a younger Artix...
- True 8-Bit Retro Single-Player Adventure
- Blow on the cartridge to make it work
- 500+ screens to explore! (Overworld and Underworld)
- Boss Monsters
- NOT PAY TO WIN! (Hah)
- Your favorite monsters & characters "de-imagined" into retro pixel art
- All the terrible video game references & puns you were hoping for XD
Dungeons & DoomKnights Story
The young hero Artix, returning from passing the trials to become a Paladin, finds his home destroyed by an army of the undead... its people gone. He swears to save them and destroy the DoomKnight responsible. Will you help Artix defeat the evil undead, or become their new master?
Explore an overworld & underworld filled with monsters. Not all of them are undead. But, yeah, there's going to be an appropriately-sized army of skelly's to smash.
The HOTTEST GAME from 1985... created in 2019!
If you love retro games, Dungeons & DoomKnights is a must-have for your collection. If you are just now getting into retro games, then this would make for a very interesting beginning to your collection. We are building a game for one of the most iconic and legendary video game systems of all time.
Converting your Favorite AdventureQuest Monsters to 8-Bit
You will encounter flying eyes, evil tree monsters, dragons, chaos creatures, and popular characters from the AdventureQuest games... gloriously converted to 8-bit pixel graphics.
Since the system only supports 3 visible colors per tile... it is delightfully challenging! Follow our regular Kickstarter updates for a behind the scenes look at our techniques.
Backers of our Moglins Kickstarter will be glad to see Twilly, Zorbak, and Twig making an appearance here in Dungeons & DoomKnights, too :D Which makes this the perfect place to talk about delays. Which can happen-- but we always deliver. Be sure to check our regular updates to our AdventureQuest 3D & Moglins Kickstarter to see how we transparently keep our backers updated and confident through the production process.
Why I had to create this video game before I died
No, I am not dying. In fact, I have never felt more alive. I grew up on the original NES. Last year, I unearthed my original NES from storage to begin "classically training" my children on video games... then fell deep into the retro rabbit hole. How cool would it be if they played a game that I created on the original system that I loved? How cool would it be if everyone including you played it? I want to create the game I envisioned in my childhood... but featuring all of the AdventureQuest characters and monsters from yours.
"Zeldavania - A fusion of the two games from my childhood that inspired me most." - Artix
Top 10 Things to do with your AdventureQuest NES Cartridge
- Play it on a real NES
- ...or one of the new systems that lets you play old NES cartriges (So far we have tested it on a Retron HD. Just make sure it is compatible with Mapper 30 boards.)
- Frame it and put it on your wall.
- Post photos to retro game groups and ask if they played it back in the day
- Make videos where you blow on it
- Take it to the Apple store and ask why it won't install of your phone or tablet.
- Do a Retro Let's Play (Would you also put this on a VHS tape?)
- Tell people you got this from some guy in a blue police box
- Make videos of comically trying to insert it into your computer or phone.
- Seriously... it would be pretty cool to frame as a collector's item
- Get a NES ROM Flasher, make your own game, flash the cartridge and replace the sticker. That'll show me.
- Kickstarter! Runs for 30 days.
- 14 Days for funds to clear
- Physical production of cartridges, box, instruction book, poster, and certificate of authenticity
- We have already been working on the game through this time... regular & fun update posts of game dev progress
- We send you codes for your exclusive in-game items for AdventureQuest 3D & Worlds.
- Dungeons & DoomKnights Game is finished & fully tested
- Cartridge assembly at Infinite Lives
- Shipping to you!
- Invent Time Travel Machine
- Take a copy back to the 80's
- Break spacetime continuum and create an alternate timeline where I grow up playing the game. I grow up wanting to make the game even better. Go back to first bullet point. It's a win / win.
Game Development Progress
For the past several months, developing Dungeons & DoomKnights game for the NES has been what filled my nights and weekends. I submitted an early demo as an entry to the Byte-Off 2019 NES Competition. It was the first cart that I made! Watching my children play test the cartridge version of it on my childhood NES was one of those uniquely strange, nostalgic, and heartwarming moments. Most of the remaining work is level design-- but we want to create even more unique monsters, art, and features to fill that cart (and world) to the max. Our team tests by playing the ROM file we create for each version. As a backer, expect to receive backer-only playable ROMs (including some experiments & gag ones that will not be in the actual release).
The 8-Bit Team!
Artix Entertainment has created video games for millions of players across Steam, mobile, & the web. Titles including... AdventureQuest 3D, DragonFable, BattleGems, EpicDuel, Undead Assault, MechQuest, Dragons, AQWorlds, and more. Located just North of Tampa, Florida, we have 34 developers in our "Secret Underground Lab". For this 8-bit project... we have a smaller, surgical strike team of retro ninjas:
- Clarion - Pixel Art & Animation
- Jongaar - Music & Sound FX (Chip Tunes)
- Artix - Game Design & Story
- Dale Coop - ASM Programming
- Rolith - Level design & experimental ports
- Diozz & Dage - Box Art & Instruction Manual
- Stryche - Shipping & Fulfillment
Special Assembly Language coding help from: ChroniclerOfLegends, Dieting Hippo, and awesome members of the NESmaker community.
The majority of this Kickstarter is going towards the production of physical NES cartridges. Additional funds raised will go towards making the game even more fun and interesting.
$1 A little 'bit'
Thanks! You'll get access to our backer-only updates including the Digital Retro Wallpapers.
$12 Digital Pack
Get a digital copy of AdventureQuest 8-Bit Dungeons & DoomKnights to play on an NES emulator. It also includes exclusive codes to unlock the 8-Bit version of Artix's Battle axe in both AdventureQuest Worlds & AdventureQuest 3D video games.
$48 NES Cartridge (Gray)
Get a physical NES cartridge of AdventureQuest 8-Bit Dungeons & DoomKnights! Includes instruction manual, box, and sleeve. Additionally, it includes exclusive codes to unlock the 8-Bit version of the Daimyo Pet & Artix's Battle axe in both AdventureQuest Worlds & AdventureQuest 3D video games. Also includes everything in the Digital Pack.
$99 Collector's Gold Cartridge
For the ultimate collector! Includes a physical shiny special gold colored NES cartridge of AdventureQuest 8-bit: Dungeons & DoomKnights. (Which is how I always envisioned it) You will also get a signed and numbered certificate of authenticity. Additionally, a Dungeons & DoomKnights poster (12"x18") drawn by Diozz and painted by Dage. Then... there are the exclusive in-game item codes. We wanted to create something that you can show off, so we designed a giant Gold NES cartridge back item! As a back item, there is a joke about being a "backer" in there... somewhere XD. You will get the codes for the Back Cartridge, 8-bit Daimyo, and 8-bit Artix's axe for both AdventureQuest 3D and AdventureQuest Worlds.
Congratulations on blasting past our goal. The stretch goals below are to add even more value to our backers and entire video game community for contributing to the success of Dungeons & DoomKnights.
- $20K (UNLOCKED) - Celebrity voice actor for trailer! George Lowe (voice of the TV show Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and voice actor from Robot Chicken and other Adult Swim shows) will narrate the official trailer.
- $30K (UNLOCKED) - Name in the credits! (All backers get their names in the credits. Since we can't fit that much text data on our cartridge (so tiny!) we'll create a web page.
- $35K (UNLOCKED) - Artix Live Stream (Ask us anything! ...while we embarrass ourselves playing retro games.)
- $40K (UNLOCKED) - Directors "Un-Cut" CHAOS ROM ( We'll send every backer a bonus ROM where you play as the villain and familiar places of the game are intentionally... strange, backwards, and wrong.)
- $45K (UNLOCKED) - Every backer gets their physical instruction booklet signed. (I'll hand sign all the physical ones. As for the digital one... I'll sign it, but they're gonna look awfully similar to each other.)
- $50K (UNLOCKED) - An 8-Bit map in AdventureQuest Worlds for EVERYONE! (We will convert fan favorite screens from Dungeons & DoomKnights into a playable map inside AQWorlds ( www.AQ.com ) for everyone to enjoy.)
Dungeons & DoomKnights is not just a bizzare piece of our gaming history... we are going to re-write history with it. Thank you for being a part of it. Also, the team & I would also like to give a special thanks to:
- Infinite NES Lives
- NESMaker Community (Fellow game makers from the community, be sure to read this)
- Joe Granato & the New 8-Bit Heroes
- The Crazy Fans of Artix Entertainment Games who support terrible ideas like this one... love you all :D
Risks and challenges
This is our 3rd Kickstarter campaign! While launched on April Fools Days, I assure you, this is no joke.
Our video game studio and online store have a 17 year track record for delivering on our promises. Prior to launching this surprise Kickstarter we created a prototype cartridge, and worked with Infinite NES Lives (featured in "The New 8-Bit Heroes" documentary on Amazon Prime) for cartridge fulfillment.
While there are always risks with a new project, delays are by far the most common. Both in waiting for the physical cartridges (especially the gold colored ones) to arrive, and also debugging and testing the game. As the physical game will be shipping on an actual NES cartridge, we need to make sure it is perfect before it it sent to you. Unlike our other games, we cannot update it automatically online. >_> Well, we could technically do weekly releases if you manually shipped your game back to us every week (kidding!).
We were careful to make sure there was plenty of room in the budget for unforeseen issues. Including on time... we are setting the release date way out to December just to be ultra safe. Early Christmas shopping? We will be creating & shipping the game cartridge, poster, certificate, and other physical items from our online store, HeroMart. Battle on!
One of our greatest strengths is regular and consistent Kickstarter update posts. You can see this in both our previous projects. We will keep you updated on the progress every step of the way through development, getting your online rewards, manufacturing, and shipping the collectable game to you.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)