THANKS TO OUR AMAZING BACKERS we raised over $200,000! Wow, and thanks!
To order Tesla vs. Edison for yourself or otherwise inquire to us, please email: hello (at) artana.com
Later we will set up a page for the game on our website, www.artana.com
Tesla vs. Edison is a light-to-medium weight strategy game for 2-5 players. You are an investor who teams up and creates a company with one of the exciting, visionary inventors leading the nascent electric light and power industry of 1880s and 1890s America.
Your inventor, along with other famous people of the period that you hire as employees in your company, work together to claim electric projects across the United States, advance your company's technology, engage in propaganda wars with the other companies, and buy and sell stock from your and your competitors companies.
Tesla vs. Edison plays quickly and provides interesting decisions while telling the exciting story of the birth of electricity.
Per chi è interessato alla versione Italiana del gioco, c’è la campagna di Tesla vs Edison su Giochistarter: http://www.giochistarter.it/scheda.php?item=1000041&crowd=1&lingua=1
+18 Propaganda Cards!
"Very, very impressive...it's got a lot of stuff going on and they all really work together in concert. I'm really impressed by it." - https://www.youtube.com/user/rahdo
"I have been waiting for a brutal, aggressive, area control stock game. Now I have one - and it's awesome."
"Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents couples an immersive theme with a game that is easy to learn and yet surprisingly deep in terms of its strategy."
- Alex Rosenwald, Board Game Quest (read the full review: http://www.boardgamequest.com/tesla-vs-edison-preview/)
We are shipping the game from three locations: first in China, then in the United States, and finally in the European Union. We are offering a $10 shipping discount per game purchased. This makes shipping in the United States free, and shipping to other parts of the world in some cases relatively inexpensive.
Given this strategy, backers from different parts of the world will get their games at different times. While the rewards on the backer levels say September here is a schedule of when we expect the games to be shipped to different places, in conjunction with other milestones:
1. China/Asia - ship to backers by or before July
2. United States/"Rest of World" - ship to backers by or before August
3. European Union - ship to backers by or before September
4. Broad Distribution - released just in time for the SPIEL '15 (October 8).
The summer convention season is the most important for our business and thus, once all of the games have arrivedin the U.S. via container ship, we will sell at conventions - particularly GenCon - which in some cases may occur before backers have received their games from our fulfillment partner. It will only be sold there at full MSRP, $60. We will also offer any backers who elect for it free pickup at the convention.
The attention GenCon offers this game is so valuable to our business. We hope that, in backing us, you want us to be successful beyond just receiving your reward from this campaign. If you are not happy with this policy we fully understand your choosing not to back this campaign. Thank you for even considering offering your support - we are grateful!
We've already begun the early design process on the first Tesla vs. Edison expansion. However, we want to invite you, our Kickstarter backers, to share your ideas about what we should or could include, and express your preferences about which ideas you'd most like to see!
During the campaign we'd like to invite your suggestions in the Kickstarter comments. When the appropriate stretch goals are reached we will take all of your and our ideas that seem viable to us and within the range of things we would consider acceptable and put them all up for a vote by out backers. Whichever of those gets the most votes will definitely be included. We hope to have a few rounds of voting and thus backer contributions to the design. The expansion won't be limited to those things but will definitely include there. Here are some art examples, as well as just conceptual ideas:
Other current expansion ideas:
- "Robot" to allow solitaire, 1 player games
- New/alternate board and project maps
- "Storytelling" game resolutions: narrative outcomes based on the final game conditions, in addition to simply appointing a winner
- Additional, historical "War of Currents" luminaries
- Conflict cards that bring more conflict, player-vs-player spicy-ness into the game: labor strikes, sabotage, shady dealings, and other historical elements from the real War of Currents infusing into the game
The plan for the expansion is to serve as modules, not an all-or-nothing. So, whatever we end up shipping, you can take or leave (for example) the conflict cards. View the expansion as ways to customize and extend the game for your group and game session, not as a set template that is a wholesale replacement for the base game.
We expect to Kickstart this as its own project in the first half of 2016.
We are a new game company, built by experienced designers, developers, artists, and games industry business people. We are combining our collective 40+ years in the business to design, develop, and deliver games that offer fresh themes, innovative mechanics, and smooth playability.
The Tesla vs. Edison project is the culmination of key contributions from our team:
- On his own and as Conquistador Games, designer Dirk Knemeyer has run five successful Kickstarters. His latest games, the War Stories series, are being celebrated as "state-of-the-art" in the innovations they brought to the well-worn tactical combat genre. He is a host of www.thegamedesignroundtable.com, which is worth a listen for anyone interested in game design.
- Developers Rob Seater and John Coveyou brought very different experiences to the product development process. Seater has developed many different games, including one of the best-designed games in print, Glory to Rome. He brings a rigor and deep experience that none of the Knemeyer/Conquistador games of the past has at their disposal. Coveyou, himself the successful publisher of two Kickstarter games via his Genius Games, has a deep mathematics and science background in both university and his professional career. He combined these methods and processes with his insatiable energy to infuse the project with an additional development layer.
- Artists Heiko Günther and Jess Riola combine skill in making beautiful things with years of experience providing art, illustration, and design in the games industry. Günther has served as the art director and designer for all of the Knemeyer/Conquistador games. Along with winning awards for his work on these games he has contributed art to more than 20 different tabletop games. Riola provided the custom illustration for Tesla vs. Edison and has contributed wonderful art in the video games industry for more than seven years.
- Nils Herzmann, who provides leadership across marketing and sales for everything at Artana, has been part of the convention staff at Asmodee, the largest game company in the world, for more than a decade. His participation is new to our publishing process.
We also want to thank some very good people beyond the above team for donating free time in amounts large and small to contribute to or advise us about the Kickstarter portion of this project: Brian Liston, Jamey Stegmaier, Nate Lovett.
Our project video includes alterations made to original images that are generously-made-available by people thru creative commons attribution. Check out the full credits and information for these images on the YouTube page for the video: http://youtu.be/rQv17CaGSmQ
Risks and challenges
We are so appreciative for the opportunity to create games, and for Kickstarter connecting directly with our backers and future customers!
Artana is extending and improving on the legacy established by Conquistador Games and Dirk Knemeyer. Since 2012 that team had five Kickstarter projects, spanning five total games and one very large campaign for metal gaming coins. Three of those games were delivered essentially on-time and our backers were happy with our service. The last two games, part of the same campaign, suffered from the original designer dropping out of the project literally within days of the end of the project. We pushed our entire publishing schedule back a year and redesigned that game from the ground-up in order to fulfill successfully to our backers, which we did albeit almost a year late. The coins campaign, as a product of its own success, unlocked numerous stretch goals that were asked for by the backers and naively agreed to by our team. The problem was that we did not have a clear view of the production and fulfillment nightmares that this would cause. In trying to satisfy our backers and meet their various needs we agreed to a lot of things that we were too ignorant to realize would make that campaign push out and be more than a year late. The fulfillment for that project is currently in process. Backers getting the coins are effusive in their praise for the quality of the final product.
Our team felt joy and pride in our successes and shame and frustration in our failures. Along with learning from those experiences, we've reached out and created a larger and more extended team to participate with this game. We believe that we have created an approach to Tesla vs. Edison that will guarantee this is an exemplar of a Kickstarter campaign:
1. The game is completely designed - we continue to tune the economy and are trying to make the rulebook ever-better, but we believe in the game as-is, right now, today - and the production process has begun. The Kickstarter is timed to end at the point that we need to put in our deposit, and commit to final quantities. This ensures the highest possible chance of delivering on-time to our backers short of pre-printing the game - in which case, why would we be Kickstarting to begin with?!
2. Stretch goals that upgrade the base game have already been discussed with our production partner and will not add production time to include. They have been 100% incorporated into the production engineering for the game.
3. We will not have stretch goals outside of the upgrades to the game that require physical shipping to backers. There's lots of cool things that we could do about Tesla, Edison, and the other rocking personalities from the War of Currents that would both be awesome and send us back into "ZOMG this is going to be super late because we were so successful!" territory. We simply won't sign up for that. Maybe one of you could do a Kickstarter for some fantastic Tesla memorabilia? We will happily point our backers to it! :-)
Whether our Kickstarters delivered on time or late we always always always always always delivered a quality product. Bottom line. Now, as a larger team here at Artana, our ability to be on-time and continuing to increase the quality of what we do is stronger than it's ever been. Support us, we'll make you glad you did!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support!!!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)