About this project
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of organization. As Americans, we’ve fought hard for our freedoms. Here’s one we can enjoy without struggle: liberation from forgetting where we left our stuff. The Wooden States of America are imbedded with an independent spirit as well as four hidden magnets that hold fast to keys, bobby pins, banjo picks, and anything else you’d rather not lose. Manufactured in the United States, each piece is crafted from Pennsylvania Cherry like that famed sapling felled by a young, ax-wielding George Washington. And much like our founding fathers, they embody both practical thought and sturdy good looks. Go ahead, swell with pride as you gaze upon the familiar curves of your state hanging on your wall (or wherever you think it looks best—isn’t freedom grand?). With borders carved by rivers and lakes, land disputes and rebellion, the shape of each state is a part of its story. The wooden states we make will help tell yours.
1. The past year has been chock-full of all sorts of woodworking projects. We were fortunate enough to set aside some of the profits and purchase a newer, bigger CNC machine. The machine is awesome, but its nearly too large for our shop. We are unable to mill wood and finish it on the same day, which slows us down significantly. Moving into a larger space will nearly double our manufacturing capabilities; and as a small business we need to operate as efficiently as possible. In order to be prepared for the holiday season, we are looking to move into a bigger space ASAP. With your support, we will finish our first large production run and have the capital to invest in a more commercial workspace.
2. Kickstarter has an incredible community strung throughout the United States (and the world). With enough backers, we will begin to see which states are the most popular. Obviously, a few like Texas and California are going to do well; but there are 50 shapes and most of them look pretty darn great hanging on the wall. With a large enough sample size, we will hopefully be able to determine the "best sellers". This will help us pinpoint target markets as we begin to grow sales and build wholesale accounts.
My name is Ben- I do most of the woodworking and lollygagging around here. The pretty one is my fiancée, Christen- she's basically the boss. She's also going to be a music teacher. We both hail from Kentucky, where we met three years ago... which is around the same time that the first wooden state was created (in the shape of Kentucky nonetheless). Since then, this product has stood out among many others- and we have decided to pursue it further.
While we are on the subject, here is a video that helps tell my story.
This is the first ever wooden state, built circa 2013. Cut by hand from some scrap walnut, it was created to solve a problem that plagued me day after day.. I would leave for class, forgetting my keys. I needed a playful place to stash my keys, and wanted something that looked good hanging on the wall. Since this time, we have sold thousands of them here in Kentucky and we are ready to expand throughout the U.S. With your help, we can make this goal a reality.
- Made from Pennsylvania Cherry - a classic American hardwood, harkening back to traditional furniture design
- Stained with a mixture of natural resins, clay pigments and some coffee grounds- a rich brown color, with beautiful grain contrast
- Four neodymium magnets are embedded in each state- they are very powerful and have no problem holding large clumps of keys
- Each state is scaled to a similar size (approx. 45 cubic inches); basically they each fit within our 8" x 12" box
- Included are two screws, two sticky squares, one key ring, mounting instructions and magnetic power galore
JULY - Kickstarter Campaign
AUGUST - Bulk Order Materials
SEPTEMBER - Manufacturing & Shipping
OCTOBER - Additional Manufacturing & Shipping (if needed)
Risks and challenges
The vast majority of the challenge has been met. Since January, we've been able to purchase a larger CNC router and develop a dependable manufacturing routine. Every state has been meticulously designed through multiple prototypes. We have an endless supply of cherry hardwood and great relationships with all of our other suppliers. All manufacturing is done in-house; and we are completely confident in a smooth transition from Kickstarter launch, through manufacturing, to delivery.
There are two obstacles that remain before Christmas. 1. - Moving into a larger workshop. 2. - Building a beautiful website. However, these are mostly unrelated to this campaign and will not affect Kickstarter reward fulfillment.
Thanks y'all.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)