Did you miss the Kickstarter campaign? You can still get early access to the course:
Stretch Goals - Extra Tutorials!
$10,000 - Web Development for Kids
Help kids learn web development! If we reach $10,000 in funding, I will:
- create an intro tutorial to help kids and beginners get started with programming.
- provide the course for free to elementary and high schools.
- provide the course for free directly to a few kids and give them some personal assistance getting started!
We've reached the previous Stretch goals:
$5,000 - Next Steps in Ruby on Rails - Thanks for helping us reach the goal in less than a week! The original web development course is now on track and under development. If we can reach $5,000 in funding, I'll create an additional online section to cover the Next Steps in Ruby on Rails. See below for more details.
$6,000 - Web Development on your Desktop with RubyMine
RubyMine is a great program for developing Rails apps. If we reach $6,000 in funding, we'll create create a tutorial about getting started with Rails in RubyMine.
I'm creating a course on Learneroo.com to teach web development with Ruby on Rails. It will contain beginner-friendly tutorials, interactive challenges, helpful cartoons and useful downloads. Back this project and learn to create your own web apps!
It's Hard to Learn Web Development
Ruby on Rails is a powerful framework for developing websites and many beginners want to learn it. While there are many books and courses that teach Ruby on Rails, one can't learn programming just by passively reading a book or watching a video. Beginners need something more engaging, something that will help them learn by doing...
How This Course will Help
- Learn by Doing - Don't just read a tutorial or copy code, but solve challenges as you go through the tutorial and see your results immediately. Get started with our online coding challenges, and continue with our downloadable challenges.
- Visual Content - Helpful cartoons and diagrams to make concepts clear! Receive useful clickable cheat sheets to find the information you need quickly.
- Choose what you learn - Each section can be learned on its own so you can jump into any part you want and reference anything easily later.
- Practical understanding - Get a good understanding of the principles of web development and how to apply it to creating your own websites. Get the tips and resources you need to code in the real world!
Who This Course is For
This course is intended for people new to web development, whether or not they have other programming experience. This course is for you if you're interested in creating a web application for any of these reasons:
- To get started on a web development career
- To create a web application for your organization
- To work better with professional web developers
- For general enlightenment!
Even if you already have Ruby on Rails experience, you may find this course and reference material to be a useful review. You can also give away the course to someone you know or let us pick someone deserving!
Why Learn Rails?
Ruby on Rails is a framework that helps you quickly build web applications according to best practices. Rails provides a code library and structure for building a web app so you don't need to code everything from scratch. You still maintain full control to create your web app as desired so you're not restricted by an existing application. Ruby on Rails is a particularly good framework to learn since it:
- is modern and mature - up-to-date with new technologies, but well-established and reliable for building real-world apps.
- guides you and remains flexible - rails encourages certain best practices, but is easy to adjust as needed.
- has a great community and library - you can always find other Rails developers ready to help, and there's a huge amount of open source libraries (or "gems") that you can use.
- has great career opportunities - Ruby on Rails is used by many startups to power their websites, such as Airbnb, Github, Groupon, Hulu, Kickstarter, Scribd and Learneroo. Rails skills are in high demand so Rails developers earn great salaries!
What The Course Will Cover
This course will teach you what you need to know to get started with web development. It will cover the topics that are essential to building your first application, and skip more advanced topics that can be learned later. You'll be able to jump into the sections you're interested in, and create your own project in each part.
Intro to Web Development - Learn about creating web pages, writing HTML and programming Ruby!
- How the Web Works - Learn how the web works and easy ways you can create your own website.
- HTML & CSS - Learn how web pages are built and create your own from scratch.
- Ruby & programming - Learn the basics of programming with Ruby and create your own program.
Ruby on Rails Basics - Get an overview of Rails and then explore the different parts in more detail.
- Rails Overview - Understand Rails and the Model View Controller pattern.
- Model and Data - Create a simple 'web app' where everything is accessed from a terminal.
- Controllers - Control access to your application.
- Views - Design the actual web pages so visitors can interact with your site!
Readying Rails - Learn to build a complete application!
Next Steps in Ruby on Rails (Stretch Goal) - After you've completed the above essentials, learn the next steps in Rails. Learn more about relationships between data, authentication, finding gems and building professional applications. We'll also provide resources so you can continue learning and building!
This course will include all of the following:
- 10-12 online chapters covering the above topics, which will have clear explanations and helpful illustrations!
- Mini-challenges throughout the tutorials + larger challenges involving full-fledged programming
- Clickable cheat sheets, downloadable challenges (known as "test cases") and more.
- Bonus videos on select topics
Parts of this course will be free (and open-source) but most of it will be premium. Back this project to get access to the course at a great discount. You'll also receive the highly-rated ebook Learn Ruby on Rails, by Daniel Kehoe. This book is geared at beginners and covers certain topics not covered in the course.
Backers will receive the ebook as soon as the project is funded, and will receive early access to the tutorials as soon as they're in "beta". The early course content is already in beta and the course is scheduled to be completed in April or May. For less than the cost of most programming books, get access to a complete interactive course, useful downloads and a popular ebook!
As described above, the main reward includes the full course, downloads and the ebook Learn Ruby on Rails. Back this project at higher levels to receive both the course and additional rewards:
Basic Membership - Interested in learning other topics besides web development (such as Java and Algorithms)? Get the membership reward to receive full access to all the content and challenges on Learneroo while you are a member.
Premium Membership - Interested in receiving help and support while learning? Get the premium membership reward and your questions will be answered in the comments and through email. We will also offer weekly live chat support. (Premium membership also includes access to all the content on Learneroo.)
Poster - Show your love for Ruby on Rails by hanging it on your wall! Receive a 18 x 24 inch poster (46 x 61 centimeters) representing Ruby on Rails as a physical machine. Poster also includes a useful Rails reference for beginners! Click below to see a draft of this poster:
Project Creator - Ariel Krakowski
I used Ruby on Rails to create Learneroo.com, a site for learning programming online. Previously, I ran a Kickstarter project for a Java course, which I created and published on schedule. I also created an Algorithms Course that was very popular on Reddit and elsewhere. I'm now ready to create a course on Ruby on Rails and Web Development, subjects I've been working with for many years.
Advisor - Reuven M. Lerner
Reuven created one of the first 100 Web sites in the world after graduating from MIT and has been developing websites professionally since then. Reuven has consulted for many large corporations and is the lead trainer in Ruby for the largest high-tech training company in Israel. Reuven has published with Prentice-Hall and received a PhD from the Learning Sciences program at Northwestern University.
Advisor - Daniel Kehoe
Daniel Kehoe is the author of the popular book for beginners, "Learn Ruby on Rails” (available on Amazon), as well as the “Capstone Rails Tutorials” series. He's the founder of the open source RailsApps project, which produces the Rails Composer tool and Rails example applications.
Risks and challenges
Learneroo.com is up and running, which is where the course and its challenges will be published. The site can run ordinary programming challenges (e.g. for Ruby or HTML), but it cannot currently run Ruby on Rails code. To run Rails challenges, we will either set up our own custom interface or work with an existing online coding editor. The "risk" with our actual course content is potential inaccuracies, but our team of experts will work to eliminate them!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (42 days)