Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles is a fully cooperative fantasy board game where one to five players control legendary Heroes with unique powers. Recalled from the dead and made immortal by the will of the Three Gods, the Heroes embark on a quest to destroy false and corrupted deities worshipped across the land.
Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles is designed by Gremlin Project (Galaxy Defenders, Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls) and manufactured and distributed by Ares Games (Wings of Glory, Sails of Glory, War of the Ring, Battlestar Galactica Starship Battles).
After the world-wide success of our first season, Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls - acclaimed by many as the best cooperative dungeon-crawler on the market - we are joining forces again to bring the game system to the next level, with new features enhancing the storytelling and broadening the scope of your adventures, a greater variety of enemies, and more possibilities for your Heroes.
Ancient Chronicles is the second season of the saga. Its storyline is a prequel to the adventures re-enacted in Immortal Souls. It is a stand-alone product - you do not need Immortal Souls to play. However, it remains completely compatible, so all available heroes and enemies of the first season can be integrated into Ancient Chronicles - and viceversa - to further enhance gameplay.
In Ancient Chronicles, you will once again find the rich gameplay, unique A.I system, and excellent quality components already appreciated by thousands of gamers in Immortal Souls, to enjoy many, many hours of high adventure and heroic quests.
The only pledge level of our campaign is called Legendary Hero.
The rewards of this pledge level are described in detail under Rewards, below. You may optionally add the Gold bundle, the Bronze bundle, or both - or choose individual add-ons in the pledge manager, as explained under ADD-ONS below.
We do not have a specific pledge level for retailers, but we are happy to offer specific terms to game stores who want to offer the Legendary Hero rewards to their customers. Please send us a message for the offer dedicated to retailers, including full information about your business.
Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles is offered to all our backers in a Kickstarter exclusive edition, including all contents of the retail version, enhanced by unique content and all unlocked Stretch Goals. ALL THE ITEMS IN THIS SECTION ("Ancient Chronicles", "Kickstarter Set I", "Kickstarter Set II", "Challenge Set") ARE INCLUDED IN THE "LEGENDARY HERO" REWARDS!
Backers will be able to play this new cycle of the entire Sword & Sorcery saga months before it is available at retail, and with a much reduced cost compared to purchasing all individual releases when they will become available.
Contents marked with the green KS "Wax Sigil" are Kickstarter Exclusive, and they will never be released at retail.
All Stretch Goals have been unlocked, with your support! They are all listed under "Unlocked Stretch Goals" below, and included in the "Rewards" banners.
There are many ways to support us, in addition to pledging to this project!
Spreading the word is a key factor in the success of a crowdfunding project, and your activity on social networks may help a lot! As a token of our gratitude, as we "level up" on the social ladder, we will add extra rewards.
There are 3 kinds of Social Stretch Goals:
- Facebook Sword & Sorcery Page "Likes" and "Shares": Sword & Sorcery Official Facebook Page
- BoardGameGeek Fans: BGG S&S Ancient Chronicles Page and BGG Sword & Sorcery Page
- Facebook Sword & Sorcery Group: Sword & Sorcery Official FB Group
Each day, during the campaign, we kept an account of the progress on these goals, and we revealed the bonus content you unlocked when we achieved a new milestone! We unlocked all our social goals!
Even if all the goals in the campaign are achieved, you can still continue to support us! Click on the links above and "like" us, or share some of our posts to help more friends to know about us.
Our project presents a selection of items you can optionally add to your rewards, and not included in the Legendary Hero rewards.
- Add-Ons, new in this Kickstarter, identified by a Gold Sigil (you can order them together in the GOLD BUNDLE)
- Retail Options, released as a part of the previous KS campaign and/or currently available at your favorite local or online store, identified by a Copper sigil l (you can order them together in the BRONZE BUNDLE)
You can include individual Add-ons or Bundles just by adding the indicated amount, "Managing Your Pledge" with the button on the right sidebar. You will indicate to us your specific choice of add-ons using the Pledge Manager (to be activated on ks.aresgames.eu after the end of the Kickstarter).
To include add-ons and options, it is not mandatory that you increase your pledge now! It will still be possible to include them using the Pledge Manager after the end of the campaign.
Sword & Sorcery is an epic-fantasy cooperative board game in which 1-5 players fight together against the forces of evil, which are controlled by the game system itself.
Each player controls one or more heroes – legendary characters brought back to life by powerful sorcery. Weakened by the resurrection, they grow stronger during their story-driven quests. By acquiring soul points during battles, the heroes' souls regenerate, restoring their legendary status with multiple powers, magic and soul weapons, and powerful artifacts.
Ancient Chronicles, a new starting point for the game, is fully compatible with the original Immortal Souls campaign in terms of gameplay, allowing players to cross over heroes and monsters from one campaign to another. Gameplay remains familiar, but this new cycle also introduces new elements to the setting, expanding both the narrative engine and the mechanisms, without making the game more complex.
The Ancient Chronicles campaign is set in a not-so-distant past of the events narrated in the Immortal Souls campaign so, veteran players will re-encounter some well-known characters, while new players will have the opportunity to experience the legend from its very beginning.
Here are the key new features offered by Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles:
- No Game Master needed. Play alone or with up to 5 players together against the game system itself.
- No player elimination. Dying, becoming a ghost soul and resurrecting your Hero are part of the game engine.
- A real story-driven campaign with multiple outcomes, a main plot and several optional Quests.
- World and city exploration, with different path and Ventures to discover.
- Multiple development paths for your Heroes.
- A sophisticated tactical combat system, based on custom ten-sided dice.
- An advanced artificial intelligence engine for Enemies and Master Enemies.
- Customizable difficulty level, thanks to the different options provided with the game rules and granted by the Challenge set.
- Full backward compatibility with Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls heroes and enemies.
- Crafting, Loots, Treasures, Traps and many other aspects of a true fantasy legendary adventure are a part of the game!
- Familiars, a new type of faithful companions for all your Heroes.
Sword & Sorcery also has amazing art, an extensive collection of beautiful miniatures, high quality tiles and cards... Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles will bring your fantasy adventures to a new level!
Want to find out more about Sword & Sorcery?
- Read the overview of the game mechanics on our website.
- Take a look at the full line-up of Immortal Soulsproducts available in stores on our website
- Follow our Facebook page and official group
- Join the discussion on Boardgamegeek.
Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles combines the exploration and challenging tactical situations of the best MMORPGs with the storytelling power of fast-paced action RPGs to forge the Ultimate Heroic Fantasy Adventure!
There are many videos and walk-throughs explaining the Sword & Sorcery game rules in great detail, and in many different languages. You can find many of them online. We selected some of our favorites videos here.
We are working to make sure that, in Ancient Chronicles, gameplay will be immersive, fun and more exciting than ever before. If you want to read the current version of the complete rules of the game, click on the image below!
Click here to download the rulebook of Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls in PDF format.
If you played Sword & Sorcery before, and you are already familiar with its gameplay and mechanics, here's a summary for you of what is new in Ancient Chronicles.
- Two completely new settings for the campaign - the Underreign and the Northern Lands - with new Enemies and Quests.
- A greater variety of opponents than ever before - each new rank of Enemies is composed of entirely new creatures.
- Minions - a new type of Enemy, multiple opponents working together with the same A.I.
- Allies - a new type of non-player character you can recruit in cities by allying with Guilds.
- World exploration - go beyond the dungeon, to discover the world and exciting new places. Secret missions and hidden locations are revealed thanks to the interaction between the world map and the Book of Secrets in the Journey Phase.
- City adventures - explore cities and strongholds on special site sheets, each with unique locations and adventure opportunities. Visit guilds and recruit new allies! Each city is different and offers unique opportunities to find clues and dangers, and to restock your supplies.
- More options for your heroes - heroes can craft new equipment, using gems and scales. Get the help of a good blacksmith to forge and enchant powerful new weapons!
- Items interact with the Book of Secrets - objects become more important in the storyline… use a torch to explore dark places, or open your way with a pick!
- Familiars - domestic, magical or divine creatures creating a mystical bond with a hero.
You can find additional details on our website
Are we boasting, when we say that Sword & Sorcery is "the best fantasy Dungeon Crawler on the market?" Read and listen to the words of reviewers who played the first cycle of Sword & Sorcery and decide it yourself...
John Clark: “Great gameplay, great stories, great minis. This has set the bar for cooperative dungeon crawlers, every gamer should own a copy!”
Nathan Melton: “S&S is an amazing story based dungeon crawler, the character progression as you move through challenging encounters and complete events[...] gives you a sense of achievement.”
Stephen W. Bieda III: “The enemy AI is comprehensive, the campaign is well thought out... it sits in my top 5 best games of all time.”
Tom Yates: “S&S sticks out from its dungeon crawl competitors by having a deeply tactical co-op combat system in tandem with a meaningful story.”
Makis Xiroyannis: “Best Dungeon Crawler in the market. Enough said.”
Becki Kaze: “If you are looking for a dungeon crawler with the best AI system in a fantasy game, this is the game for you. Monsters feel different and unique thank to the system.”
Brian O'Koon: “Closest board game to a role-playing dungeon crawl I have found.”
Florent Verhaever: "The only Dungeon Crawler on the market that offers a strong narrative with moral choices, decisions and interactive dialogues with NPCs, while also proposing an awesome tactical RPG experience that stood the test of time throughout the campaign."
Stephen Newhouse: "A natural evolution of Heroquest and Descent. It sports a fantastic enemy AI that is very challenging with many interesting choices for the heroes to make. The leveling system is epic [...]. It’s truly a masterpiece in the genre."
David Kartzinel: "Most cinematic dungeon crawler I’ve played - wish I had this game when I was a kid!"
Note: All reviews and comments included here are independent, voluntary and not for profit.
We expect Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles to ship to our backers in December 2019.
We will ship from our main warehouse in the USA and from our secondary warehouses in Australia, Canada, China, Germany and Hong Kong. No customs fees will apply to backers in:
- Asia: China, Hong Kong. Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
- Europe: European Union
- North America: Canada, USA.
Note: We will do our best to guarantee the same level of service to UK customers as we do to all other EU backers, unless BrexIt terms prevent us to do so.
Please understand that shipping charges are highly variable by shipping method, destination, and are also subject to change over time. For all these reasons, we are NOT including shipping charges as a part of your pledge at this moment.
Before your rewards ship, you will have access to a section of our website called a "Pledge Manager". There you will have an option to indicate your address and to modify the choice of rewards, if necessary (for example, adding multiple copies). Shipping charges will be calculated and paid at that time. We remain committed to make every effort to keep shipping charges reasonable, while using reliable shipping methods with guaranteed delivery.
Our estimates of shipping charges for Legendary Hero rewards are:
- between $ 10 and $ 15 for rewards shipping to a destination in the USA, China or Hong Kong;
- between $ 15 and $ 25 for rewards shipping to a destination in Australia;
- between $ 15 and $ 25 for rewards shipping to a destination in Canada;
- between $ 20 and $ 30 for rewards shipping to a destination in the European Union (this amount also already includes VAT charges);
- between $ 30 and $ 60 for rewards shipping to a destination outside the territories indicated above.
Please understand the estimate is just that - an estimate - but we'll do our best to make the shipping cost as low as we can.
Sword & Sorcery is a powerful artifact crafted by many talented people. Their art and craft are well known to all gamers around the world, and we are very proud to introduce them here.
The “soul” of Sword & Sorcery, including all the rules and mechanism that make this game a unique experience.
- Gremlin Project: The two-headed being known as "Gremlin Project" occasionally splits into two separate entities - Simone Romano and Nunzio Surace. Omnivorous players and hardened designers, Simone is responsible for the artwork direction, game rules and narrative text, while Nunzio deals with development and playtesting.
The “heart” of Sword & Sorcery, including all the amazing artists who sculpted, to the tiniest details, the legendary heroes and deadly enemies you will find in Sword & Sorcery.
- Beholder Studio: Alfonso Gonso, is the creator of most of the Enemy figures and many of the Heroes.
- Bob Naismith: Renowned British sculptor, a true veteran of the industry, responsible for most of the “3D sculpted tokens” in S&S.
- GT Studio: Fausto and Pedro Gutierrez, main sculptors of Sword & Sorcery Immortal Souls, developed many of the Ancient Chronicles figures as well.
- Ludus Magnus: Andrea Coletti and Fernando Armentano are the owners of the Italian Studio, which created beautiful games such as Nova Aetas, Sine Tempore and Black Rose Wars.
- Raffaele Stumpo: The lead sculptor of the Galaxy Defenders saga is returning here as a "guest star" to sculpt a very special Enemy figure!
The striking “face” of Sword & Sorcery, including all visual aspects of the project.
- Alberto Dal Lago: Well known as the cover artist of the "Lone Wolf" saga, Alberto created the impressive imagery used for the Sword & Sorcery cover art.
- Studio Fiorentino: Fabrizio Fiorentino is a great artist, and also one of the teachers at the International Comics School in Italy. He is the creator of the concept art and line-art of all our characters. Alessio Cammardella and Josie De Rosa worked at his side, to develop the card art and the colors of our game.
- Andrea Guardino: This skilled and versatile artist created several characters of Sword & Sorcery. Andrea is also the author of the main art in the recently-released “Journey to Ragnarok” RPG setting.
- MatrioskArt: Adriano D'Ippolito and Francesca Michelon are the creative minds behind the complex, yet beautiful, graphic design that brings to life the mechanics of Sword & Sorcery and the other games designed by Gremlin Project.
- Francesco Mattioli: Francesco is the talented artist who designed the world map and all the cities across all over of the Sword & Sorcery lands.
- 0One Games: Mario "Longbeard" Barbati is a veteran of map-making for role-playing games. His company - OOne Games - was the first publisher in the world to leverage the Open Gaming license to produce PDF role-playing supplements.
The invisible but essential "flesh and muscles" of the project, turning the concept into the physical product you will get in your hands.
- Ares Games: Roberto Di Meglio (Director of Production and Marketing), Fabrizio Rolla (Editing), Fabio Maiorana and Laura Neri (Graphic Design), Andrea Fanhoni (PR), Leonardo Rina and Valentina Dini (Customer Care and Fulfillment), Christoph Cianci (Finance and Administration).
Risks and challenges
OUR EXPERIENCE, YOUR GUARANTEE: Sword & Sorcery - Ancient Chronicles is our 11th Kickstarter project. We already delivered nine Kickstarters successfully (all except the latest one, Tripods & Triplanes) with very positive feedback from our backers. The production of Tripods & Triplanes is in progress now, and its rewards are scheduled to ship in December 2018.
Creating high-quality miniatures and boardgames is not an easy task. However, Ares Games has an excellent track record of publishing games with complex components, such as those in our War of the Ring, Wings of Glory, and Sails of Glory product lines, as well as the previous Sword & Sorcery products.
Our staff has many years of experience producing board games, and from a production viewpoint, this Kickstarter is on a similar complexity level to most items in our catalog. We don't envision any specific challenge associated with the production of this project.
Sculpting, game design, and most of the artwork and graphic design are already fully funded, so there is no risk on pre-production. Funds from this project will be solely used for completing production tools, production and fulfillment.
RISK OF DELAYS: The main risk at this stage is the project might ship later than scheduled, due to delays in the production pipeline. We will always prefer a reasonable delay to compromising on the level of quality we are looking for in all our games.
There are also risks of delays, as with any game manufactured in Asia, related to transport and delivery to our fulfillment warehouses. These are also routinely handled by our logistic staff, but unexpected delays due to customs clearance, strikes, and exceptional weather are always possible, and may influence the time necessary to deliver the games to our backers.
That said, we always look to the reasons why our past products have been delayed, and we are constantly improving our process and reviewing our estimates to make them as accurate as we can.
GEOPOLITICAL EVENTS: Geopolitical events not under our control, such as Brexit and the imposition of new tariffs on the access of goods to a country, may change the terms we offer to residents of such countries, even if we guarantee we will do our best to avoid such issues (for example by reorganizing or expanding our network of fulfillment partners).Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (16 days)