Divinity Derby is a fast-playing boardgame of racing and betting for 3 to 6 players, age 10 and up, with a playing time of 60-90 minutes, designed by Carlo A. Rossi (Alchemist, Hab & Gut) and illustrated by Denis Martynets (Imperial Settlers, Behind the Throne) - the same amazing team behind our previous game Dungeon Time.
Dirty tricks, godly powers, the twists of Fate, and the capricious judgment of Zeus will determine the final winner of the Divinity Derby.
Zeus invited you, along with a bunch of other divine friends from all around the Multiverse, for a little get-together on Mount Olympus. After a legendary lunch and a few rounds of Ambrosia, the drink of the gods, you start arguing. Which mythic creature is the fastest? Is Pegasus a better flyer than a Lamassu? Can the fire-breath of a Dragon stop a Phoenix?
You start making bets, and soon you decide that the only way to know who is right is to summon all those creatures for a good race… And soon the racing and betting begins, with the Olympic “All-father”, Zeus, as the ultimate judge.
Test your ability to evaluate the chances of each creature, choose the right bets, use your powers to influence the race to achieve your objectives. And don’t worry about being nice to the others – they are also plotting against you to make you lose your bets…
Welcome to Divinity Derby!
Divinity Derby is offered to backers in either Standard Edition (same content as the retail version, but sent to backers first) or Deluxe Edition (only available on Kickstarter). Different multiple-copy options are available for groups of players (Gemini, Pantheon) or game stores (God of Trade, see sidebar).
The rules and some cards of the game are in English. Free PDF translations will be provided in French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portoguese for our backers.
The suggested price of Divinity Derby at retail (Standard edition) is expected to be $40. Miniatures are unpainted in the Standard edition, painted in the Kickstarter Deluxe edition. The Standard edition will not include the stretch goals marked as "Deluxe Edition".
Why our playtesters loved Divinity Derby? Here are a few reasons...
~ Innovative card-sharing draft
- At the core of Divinity Derby, you will find an original card-sharing mechanic developed by the game designer, Carlo A. Rossi. Each player will play with two hands of movement cards, sharing a cardholder with each neighbor. These cards - illustrated by our amazing artist Denis Martynets - are used to influence the race of six mythic creatures.
~ Intelligent betting
- As a godly being, you can make informed guesses about what will happen in the race. Look at the cards in your cardholders as well as at other player's actions, and place your bets accordingly.
~ Highly interactive
- As cards are drafted from shared cardholders, there's a lot of interaction - you will be conspiring against (or with!) the players close to you, as you will play cards from the same holder as they do.
~ You control the race
- You win the game by placing good bets, but you can try to bend the will of Fate to fit your plan. You can choose whether to play a card for its high or low value, and this simple but critical choice will make all the difference in the outcome of the race.
~ Easy and fun to play
- Divinity Derby is rich in strategy and player interaction, but its simple rules make it a game for all ages, easy to learn, and fun to play whether you are a young kid or a seasoned veteran of 1000 boardgames!
~ Excellent production values
- Like all Ares Games products, Divinity Derby has great production values, and also includes six gorgeous miniatures (beautifully modeled by master sculptor Bob Naismith) - each carefully hand-painted in the Deluxe edition of the game.
In this short video, you will learn the gameplay basics of Divinity Derby.
In this video interview, filmed by Boardgamegeek at the Nurnberg Toy Fair in February, you will hear a more detailed explanation about the gameplay, and a little bit of the design and development history of the game.
A preview of the rulebook is available as a downloadable PDF, here; or you can browse it on Issuu clicking on the video below.
Several "beta" copies of Divinity Derby are in the hands of reviewers. During the course of the campaign, we will share here the videos and the links to articles. Note, the components in the previews are not final, and may differ from the final version of the game.
As we surpassed our initial funding goal, we have been able to upgrade the game and add extra perks and game content to your rewards. Through stretch goals we added more god powers, creature powers, additional gods, and improved the presentation and content of both the Standard and Deluxe Edition. ALL GOALS ARE NOW UNLOCKED.
There are many ways you can support us! You may spread the word to your friends, post about us on your favorite forum and social network, and also help our project by clicking on the banners below to become a fan of Divinity Derby on our Facebook and Boardgamegeek pages.
As a token of our gratitude, we will add extra rewards and improvements upon achieving our milestones on social media. Here are our next social stretch goals.
At the moment there is only one optional add-on: "The New Gods," a set including the Cthulhu divinity deck (betting cards and special powers) and tokens, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster divinity deck (betting cards and special powers) and tokens.
One "The New Gods" set is included FREE OF CHARGE with each copy of the Deluxe Edition.
If you are a "Demi God" backer (the set is not included in the Standard Edition); or if you want additional copies of this add-on, it can be requested by adding $5 to your pledge for each set (managing your pledge now; or in the Pledge Manager, after the Kickstarter ends).
Items or upgrades indicated as exclusive to the Deluxe edition will not be included in the Standard retail version of the game. They may become available in the future as promo items or parts of future expansions.
We expect Divinity Derby to ship to our backers in September 2017. We will ship from our main warehouse in the USA and from secondary warehouses in Australia, Canada, Germany, Hong Kong. No customs charges will apply to backers in Australia, Canada, European Union, Hong Kong or USA.
Shipping charges are highly variable by shipping method, destination, and they also change over time. For all these reasons, please do NOT include shipping charges as a part of your pledge at this moment.
Before your rewards ship, you will have access the "Pledge Manager" on our website. There you will have an option to indicate your address and to modify your choice of rewards, if you want (for example, adding multiple copies). Shipping charges will be calculated and paid at that time.
- If you don't like shipping charges, why don't you try to organize a group pledge with your friends? When you pledge at the "Gemini" or "Pantheon" level, multiple copies ship to a single address at the same cost as one copy.
Our current estimates of shipping charges are:
- $7 to $9 for rewards shipping to a destination in the USA or Hong Kong;
- $8 to $14 for rewards shipping to a destination in Australia / New Zealand;
- $9 to $14 for rewards shipping to a destination in Canada;
- $8 to $14 for rewards shipping to a destination in the European Union (this amount also includes VAT charges);
- $15 to $25 for rewards shipping to a destination outside the territories indicated above.
For retailers' pledges, shipping charges will be invoiced at the time of shipping, at cost.
We remain committed to make every effort to keep shipping charges reasonable, while using reliable shipping methods with guaranteed delivery. In case actual shipping charges should prove to be higher than the amounts indicated above, we will cover the difference ourselves.
The creative talents of many different people are required in the development of every tabletop game, and Divinity Derby is no exception! Here's the "who's who" of our project.
Divinity Derby is developed and published by Ares Games under license by Studiogiochi.
Ares Games is represented in the USA by James D. Long (manager of Ares Games LLC).
Risks and challenges
DIVINITY DERBY is our eigth Kickstarter project.
We already delivered six Kickstarters successfully (Sails of Glory, Galaxy Defenders-Season 1 and Galaxy Defenders-Season 2, Age of Conan - Adventures in Hyboria, Wings of Glory-Giants of the Sky, Dungeon Time) with very positive feedback from our backers.
The production of the rewards of one Kickstarter (Sword & Sorcery) is in progress and almost completed, and we plan to ship those rewards to its backers within the next two months.
Creating high-quality boardgames is not an easy task. However, Ares Games has an excellent track record of publishing games with excellent components, such as those in our War of the Ring, Wings of Glory, and Sails of Glory product lines.
Our staff has strong experience producing boardgames, and from a production viewpoint, DIVINITY DERBY is less complex than most items in our catalog. We don't envision any specific challenge associated with the production of this project.
Artwork and graphic design are already complete and fully funded by Ares, so there is no risk on pre-production. Funds from this project will be solely used for production and fulfillment.
The main risk at this stage is the project might ship later than scheduled, due to delays in the production pipeline. We will always prefer a reasonable delay to compromising on the level of quality we are looking for in all our games.
There are also risks of delays, as with any game manufactured in Asia, related to transport and delivery to our warehouse in the United States. These are also routinely handled by our logistic staff, but unexpected delays due to customs clearance, strikes, and exceptional weather are always possible, and may influence the time necessary to deliver the games to our backers.
That said, we've looked at the reasons why our past products have been delayed, and we are costantly reviewing our estimates to make them more accurate than in the past.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)